Need help vmware with boot camp partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aaronw1986, Jun 30, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

Tried to get Fusion to load my newly installed boot camp partition. Now whenever I switch back, they each say they need to be reactived. When I tried to reactive, said I had done too many times. How do you properly configure the windows xp serial/activation so that you can boot the boot camp partition in vmware?

2. macrumors newbie

Its probably a bad Idea to try to use vmware to virtualise your bootcamp partition, as Windows will think you've changed the ram/videocard etc and the reactivation thing will kick in. Either;
    A) Just dual boot between OSX and XP
    B) Install XP under Vmware

3. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea id suggest having 2 different installs, bootcamp then another install on vmware that runs virtually.

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess...it just sounds like an awesome feature that's built into vmware. I could boot into windows when I wanted to play games, and other times, be able to use the partition as a virtual machine.

5. macrumors regular

yeah i just killed my parallels xp install just to setup bootcamp to use either it or fusion with it. couldn't find a solid way of converting the parallels xp install to fusion or to bootcamp. hearing about the reactivation stuff really kills the whole idea of using the bootcamp partition; isn't this a big deal to be able to effectively do waht both companies are advertising (or did i miss the fine print that says that you'll have to reactivate each time)?