Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Here is my list:

App Stores (Mac App Store, iTunes Music & Movie Store, iBooks Store)
  • Optional larger font size - please!
Contacts:
  • Larger font size options. Currently the fonts are so small many adult students have to switch glasses when they use Contacts.
  • Custom Fields - Not having this is very frustrating. (A common custom field is a Christmas List). This field is used to determine who gets a Christmas card.
  • Alphabetic selection like iOS - The letter headings on the right side of the contacts. Click on the G group for last names that begin with G. Saves a lot of scrolling time.
  • Ability to resize the picture. Currently, the picture is very small.
    Insert more than one picture into the contact. Example: Picture of spouse.
Facetime:

Ability to leave a FaceTime voice mail.

FeedBack App for the Mac: (Credit to EcoFritze, May 13, 2016)

Copy the Windows 10 Feedback app. This is really helping Microsoft improve Windows 10. Amazon is also using a Feedback App for the Echo. Customer feedback works - my Echo has already surpassed Siri in accuracy after only three months of use.

Finder:
  • Add option to have folders displayed at the top of the window (alphabetically but before all other files).
  • A Cut function.
  • Assign a specific color to a folder or as cqgraphicdesign put it "label a folder with a color" instead of just a name.
  • Show Hidden Files. This should apply only to the Finder Window. (Added April 21, 2016).
Grab:

Share:
- Send to Photos
- Send to Email
- Send to Messages
- Send to Preview button after capturing a screen.

Currently, after capturing a screen you have to copy the capture, open preview, Select new from clipboard before you can do anything with your screen capture.

Export in different formats such as jpeg and png.​

Image Capture:

Needs a share option
  1. Share to Photos
  2. Share to Messages
  3. Share to E-Mail
Extensions for Image Capture.

- Allow third parties to extend the functionality of Image Capture.​
Mail:

Default viewing Scale (Zoom) - 125, 150%. Twelve point fonts are difficult for many to comfortably read. Microsoft Word or Pages solves this problem with a Zoom setting.

Highlight text in different colors like iBooks. Highlighting text is a great way of focusing students on the crucial issues.

Tables to allow comparison and contrasts. (Tables are used all the time in student email communications. Unfortunately, Mail does not have this feature.)

Option to Restore text descriptions under the icons in the New Message window in mail. This has become an issue on large screen iMacs because the email icons are very small.​

Maps:

Download maps for specific regions for offline use. For example, Windows 10 allows you to download maps for the United States, Canada, Mexico etc.)

• An insert button (like iOS) to insert photos or videos into a text message without having to leave messages.
  • An option to configure Messages on the Mac to work like iOS Messages.
In iOS - Pressing enter moves to the next line of the message. Click Send when you want to send the message.

In OSX - The enter key sends the message. If you want to type multiple lines in a message you have to press control enter for each line and then press enter at the end of the message.​

Notes:
  • Ability to set default font and size. (This appears to be in the Sierra beta)
  • Highlight words and sentences like iBooks.
  • Font and font size selection as pull down menus, not a large separate window just to change a font size.
  • Insert tables like Microsoft OneNote.
  • Insert Arrows, lines etc with the text visible. (In iOS you can't see the text when inserting an arrow.)
Photos:
  • Clone Tool
  • Tonal Contrast like Google Snapseed for iOS.
  • Selective adjustment for certain areas of the photo. Google Snapseed for iOS is probably the best example.
  • Basic drawing tools in Photos would be very useful. Arrows, lines, Text boxes similar to Preview.
  • Collage Function
- Collage needs the ability to move and resize photos on a sheet of paper.
- Insert Collage Title at the top of the page
- Insert Captions below each photo.​

Uninstall:

When you trash an App it be helpful if it would find and trash all the files related with the App, like App Cleaner does.

Window Management:
  • Green button = Maximize window to largest possible size with Dock and Menu Bar visible
  • Separate Full Screen Button
  • Double click on Title Bar to maximize to content.
  • Window Snapping like Windows 10 (Aero Snap)
  • A setting to request that Apps remember Window position and size.
  • Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 10.
Visual Elements:
  • Change colors of the Dock and Sidebars if transparency is turned off.
  • Translucency settings - Low translucency and high translucency.
Save As:

Save As needs to be an option without pressing the option key. (Added to list - March 11, 2016)​

Siri:

Ability to give Siri feedback via an app similar to Amazon's Echo app. Because of this feedback mechanism Alexa (Echo) has become far more accurate than Siri in only three months of use.

Health App: that syncs with health monitoring sensors and displays and charts the data in ways that can be easily exported and compared month to month or year over year.​

Restoration of Securing Empty Trash

Do you like this list?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Boomer 47

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Here is my list:

App Stores (Mac App Store, iTunes Music & Movie Store, iBooks Store)
  • Optional larger font size - please!
Contacts:
  • Larger font size options. Currently the fonts are so small many adult students have to switch glasses when they use Contacts.
  • Custom Fields - Not having this is very frustrating. (A common custom field is a Christmas List). This field is used to determine who gets a Christmas card.
  • Alphabetic selection like iOS - The letter headings on the right side of the contacts. Click on the G group for last names that begin with G. Saves a lot of scrolling time.
  • Ability to resize the picture. Currently, the picture is very small.
    Insert more than one picture into the contact. Example: Picture of spouse.
Facetime:

Ability to leave a FaceTime voice mail.

FeedBack App for the Mac: (Credit to EcoFritze, May 13, 2016)

Copy the Windows 10 Feedback app. This is really helping Microsoft improve Windows 10. Amazon is also using a Feedback App for the Echo. Customer feedback works - my Echo has already surpassed Siri in accuracy after only three months of use.

Finder:
  • Add option to have folders displayed at the top of the window (alphabetically but before all other files).
  • A Cut function.
  • Assign a specific color to a folder or as cqgraphicdesign put it "label a folder with a color" instead of just a name.
  • Show Hidden Files. This should apply only to the Finder Window. (Added April 21, 2016).
Grab:

Share:
- Send to Photos
- Send to Email
- Send to Messages
- Send to Preview button after capturing a screen.

Currently, after capturing a screen you have to copy the capture, open preview, Select new from clipboard before you can do anything with your screen capture.

Export in different formats such as jpeg and png.​

Image Capture:

Needs a share option
  1. Share to Photos
  2. Share to Messages
  3. Share to E-Mail
Extensions for Image Capture.

- Allow third parties to extend the functionality of Image Capture.​
Mail:

Default viewing Scale (Zoom) - 125, 150%. Twelve point fonts are difficult for many to comfortably read. Microsoft Word or Pages solves this problem with a Zoom setting.

Highlight text in different colors like iBooks. Highlighting text is a great way of focusing students on the crucial issues.

Tables to allow comparison and contrasts. (Tables are used all the time in student email communications. Unfortunately, Mail does not have this feature.)

Option to Restore text descriptions under the icons in the New Message window in mail. This has become an issue on large screen iMacs because the email icons are very small.​

Maps:

Download maps for specific regions for offline use. For example, Windows 10 allows you to download maps for the United States, Canada, Mexico etc.)

• An insert button (like iOS) to insert photos or videos into a text message without having to leave messages.
  • An option to configure Messages on the Mac to work like iOS Messages.
In iOS - Pressing enter moves to the next line of the message. Click Send when you want to send the message.

In OSX - The enter key sends the message. If you want to type multiple lines in a message you have to press control enter for each line and then press enter at the end of the message.​

Notes:
  • Ability to set default font and size. (This appears to be in the Sierra beta)
  • Highlight words and sentences like iBooks.
  • Font and font size selection as pull down menus, not a large separate window just to change a font size.
  • Insert tables like Microsoft OneNote.
  • Insert Arrows, lines etc with the text visible. (In iOS you can't see the text when inserting an arrow.)
Photos:
  • Clone Tool
  • Tonal Contrast like Google Snapseed for iOS.
  • Selective adjustment for certain areas of the photo. Google Snapseed for iOS is probably the best example.
  • Basic drawing tools in Photos would be very useful. Arrows, lines, Text boxes similar to Preview.
  • Collage Function
- Collage needs the ability to move and resize photos on a sheet of paper.
- Insert Collage Title at the top of the page
- Insert Captions below each photo.​

Uninstall:

When you trash an App it be helpful if it would find and trash all the files related with the App, like App Cleaner does.

Window Management:
  • Green button = Maximize window to largest possible size with Dock and Menu Bar visible
  • Separate Full Screen Button
  • Double click on Title Bar to maximize to content.
  • Window Snapping like Windows 10 (Aero Snap)
  • A setting to request that Apps remember Window position and size.
  • Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 10.
Visual Elements:
  • Change colors of the Dock and Sidebars if transparency is turned off.
  • Translucency settings - Low translucency and high translucency.
Save As:

Save As needs to be an option without pressing the option key. (Added to list - March 11, 2016)​

Siri:

Ability to give Siri feedback via an app similar to Amazon's Echo app. Because of this feedback mechanism Alexa (Echo) has become far more accurate than Siri in only three months of use.

Health App: that syncs with health monitoring sensors and displays and charts the data in ways that can be easily exported and compared month to month or year over year.​

Restoration of Securing Empty Trash

Do you like this list?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
[doublepost=1465924141][/doublepost]I was unable to install Sierra on 2010, 12 Core, MacPro. Tried several times and at the completion of install, on restart, continue to get Kernel Panic!!! :( Would love to hear from anyone else with 2010 Mac Pro. houstonhall@gmail.com

Sierra installed just fine on 2015 MacBook Pro.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Safari
Option to clear history without clearing passwords
I am a little confused, clearing password (or rather login) is due to the deletion of cookies and other website data, but you can keep those while deleting your history by doing "Safari - History - Press alt button on keyboard - Clear history and keep website data" (or whatever the text is in the english version), using that, your history is cleared but you are still logged in everywhere and passwords are not deleted

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I am a little confused, clearing password (or rather login) is due to the deletion of cookies and other website data, but you can keep those while deleting your history by doing "Safari - History - Press alt button on keyboard - Clear history and keep website data" (or whatever the text is in the english version), using that, your history is cleared but you are still logged in everywhere and passwords are not deleted
There should be a button that allows this option. How many people would know to do that?

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
There should be a button that allows this option. How many people would know to do that?
There is alot of people that know about OS X alt command for menus, there is an alt option for alot of stuff in OS X, so, but sure, it would be better if there was an option to keep the data in the modal window that pops up when someone press the "Clear history" meny item

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
- Ability to store/sync Messages data (histories, deletions, etc) via the cloud so that all devices stay in sync
- News app for Mac (I was very surprised at this omission in Sierra, TBH)
- Ability to listen to voicemails and read Siri voicemail transcripts on the Mac and iPad (without this, phone calls on my iPad and Mac are fairly useless, as I need to screen a lot of calls. Therefore, I need my iPhone with me, defeating the purpose of having phone capabilities on my other devices)
- Syncing of Notifications across devices so that all notifications can be viewed on all devices (with an opt-out ability of course; that way apps that send notifications to all three devices already won't come up multiple times everywhere), and also so that a notification cleared on one device is cleared everywhere
- Health app for Mac (and iPad while I'm at it)
- Home app for Mac
- Break up iTunes into Music, Videos, Podcasts, and an optional iTunes U download, put Audiobooks in iBooks where they belong, and keep iTunes around for a while for legacy users and wired sync-ers, much like how iPhoto still exists for people who didn't want to switch to Photos right away
- Full-fledged Find my iPhone and Find my Friends apps for macOS (the Find my Friends widget is okay but doesn't give us the benefit of notifications and larger maps to look at)
- Some type of integrated Now Playing feature across devices (if I'm Airplaying music from my iPad it'd be awesome if I could view what's playing and skip/like/play/pause songs from my other devices signed into the same iCloud account)

In general it kind of bothers me when I need to go hunting in my bag or through my house for my iPhone to complete a simple task that, in theory, my MBPr is fully capable of handling. That's why I wish apps like News, Health, and Home would come to macOS. I get that Apple uses iOS as sort of a testing grounds to try out new features before bringing them to the Mac, but still, in the interim I find it pretty annoying.

Reactions: azpc

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Apple is getting too big for its britches. Starting to remind me of Microsoft in their famous commercial

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
I just read all your requests and I was wondering... why don't you just go back to Windows? You obviously want macOS to become Windows...

Reactions: mmomega

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Also! Siri really should have a silent mode and have way of allowing you to type to her from the start. I know you can "tap to edit" (at least on iOS) after you've already said something, but she still talks back to you and makes noise. This would be way better for those of us who share offices and the like...as it is now I can't use her at work because I share my office, but it'd be nice if I could. If nothing else, typing to her should at least be an accessibility feature for people with speech difficulties and the like.

Unless this has been addressed in Sierra...I haven't seen it anywhere, but I'd love to know if this is now possible.

page404

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
The Netherlands
[doublepost=1465924141][/doublepost]I was unable to install Sierra on 2010, 12 Core, MacPro. Tried several times and at the completion of install, on restart, continue to get Kernel Panic!!! :( Would love to hear from anyone else with 2010 Mac Pro. houstonhall@gmail.com

Sierra installed just fine on 2015 MacBook Pro.
I hope you filed a bug report to Apple. Because that's where the betas are for :)

Reactions: mmomega

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
  • Break up iTunes into 3 apps
    • Music, Movies & TV Shows, Podcasts, Books
  • Night Shift
  • Control Center
  • Replace the Photo Booth app with a "Camera" app, with filters
  • Dark Mode
    • Change to "Dark Mode" when the sun goes down, like Night Shift.
  • Option to have macOS be like Windows 10, where all apps open in fullscreen, and instead of "Launchpad", apps that aren't in your dock go on your desktop.

Reactions: boston04and07

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is getting too big for its britches. Starting to remind me of Microsoft in their famous commercial
That may not be the case, but rather, MS has introduced some really nice features.

Tbh, I don't agree with all of the OP's suggestions, but I can see some of them definitely making life easier by improving OS X macOS

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Finally!

Add option to have folders displayed at the top of the window (alphabetically but before all other files).

Here it is: http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/17/hands-on-new-features-macos-sierra-video/

I'm getting used to Mac way I have no need for this anymore. :( Now I just open Finder and hit a letter on the keyboard to go straight to folder or file beginning with that letter. With folder on top, I might need to hit it a couple of times, one for folder and one for file? Yuck!
This works for Contacts too, no need for "iOS alphabetical selection".

Last edited:

TellowKrinkle

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
One feature I would like is the ability to type to Siri. A bunch of the new Siri related features are nice, but I don't always want to be talking to my computer for them.

A bunch of the listed feature requests are already possible in macOS Sierra (or earlier). Here's the ones I know:

Finder
  • To cut, copy your file, navigate to the location you want to paste it, and input ⌥⌘V (Option-Command-V) or hold Option, choose edit, and click Move Item Here.
  • To add a color to a folder, right click on it, choose "Tags..." and choose a color.
Grab
  • While grab isn't very useful, most of the time it's easier to use the shortucts ⇧⌘3, ⇧⌘4, ^⇧⌘3, and ^⇧⌘4 (Shift-Command-3, Control-Shift-Command-3, etc). 3 takes the whole screen, 4 takes a selection. Tap space while the ⇧⌘4 selection curser is visible to select whole windows easily. The ones without control save to the desktop, while if you hold control, they will save to the clipboard, ready to be pasted into whatever app you need them in.
Mail
  • Go to mail preferences, Fonts and Colors tab, and change the default font size (or font)
  • While not a great solution, you can copy and paste in tables from other applications, including both TextEdit and Numbers.
Window Management
  • It's not a setting, but to have apps remember window position and size, just quit your apps using ⌥⌘Q (Option-Command-Q) or by holding option, clicking the application menu, and choosing "Quit and Keep Windows." As a bonus, any untitled documents will be temporarily saved, so if you want to shut down without actually finding places to put them, you can use this. (Edit 3 Aug 2016: You could also perform the same swap as detailed in the Save As area to make it the default, but you'd have to do it on a per-app basis due to the default quit title being "Quit AppName")
  • It's not exactly the same, but to preview an app under your cursor in the dock, input the "Show Application Windows" gesture (default is four finger swipe down) to see previews of all that application's windows. They're nice and big, too.
Save As:
  • IMO, it's no more effort to press ⌥⇧⌘S than it is to press ⇧⌘S, but here's your solution: Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts (or search Keyboard Shortcuts in the system preferences window). Go to the App Shortcuts section, and add two items for All Applications: "Save As..." -> ⇧⌘S and "Duplicate" -> ⌥⇧⌘S. It even switches them in the File menu, which surprised me. BTW, this feature (the ability to add custom keyboard shortcuts to any menu item in any app) is amazing.

Secure Empty Trash
  • Due to how SSDs manage data, Secure Empty Trash's method of deleting files (overwriting them with noise before deleting them) doesn't actually guarantee that they will be unrecoverable. (Even if you tell the SSD to write to a certain block, the SSD controller may decide to write to a different one for wear leveling.) That's why they removed it. Encrypt your disk (or important files) if you don't want people looking at them.

Last edited:

Asu

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
Finder:
In Columns view, the width of the column should automatically be set to the width of the longest file name so one does not have to double-click on the double line at the base of the column EVERY TIME one accesses the folder.
Back to color coding folders, whatever you call it, that goes across the line and colors the folder in icons view. Kill the dot!
Talking about dots: the green dot in the left upper corner should maximize the window and not make it full screen.
Allow people to write apps like Kaleidoscope was for Classic mac OS. If I want my windows to show Hello Kitty icons streaming around the edges, I should be able to do it.
Photos.app
Please make the Copy command work.
Mac OS
Enough of the highfalutin names catering to millennial yuppies. I want the next OS to be named Logan Heights.​

Gotta go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.