Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlw1235

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2004
Milwaukee, WI
Makin' me think of my local DMV.

They have the special signs for people taking their road tests...yeah someone hit it. Man, I need a picture of that. :D :D

Just don't do that, and you will be fine.

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
mlw1235 said:
Makin' me think of my local DMV.

They have the special signs for people taking their road tests...yeah someone hit it. Man, I need a picture of that. :D :D

Just don't do that, and you will be fine.

LOL

And to the OP- I haven't taken the driving portion yet, but the written test is ridiculously easy. I got 40/40, no sweat. Took me 10 minutes.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Don't run a stop sign. Apparently (and I speak from personal experience) they autofail you for that.

The problem that I had, and the reason I didn't pass my driving exam the first time, is that I was ridiculously nervous. I was so jittery that I just couldn't do anything right, and while I only made one mistake before my autofail, I couldn't stop thinking about how important the whole test was. But honestly, it's not a big deal. Even if you don't pass, you wait a couple weeks (at least, that's how long you wait in CA) and then try again. And then you can drive everywhere you want, get coffee before school, and feel all cool-like.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
mikemodena said:
I'll be taking by license test, 16 question

16 :eek:

Am I correct in thinking in that in certain states you can drive on the road at 14 if you have an adult (who possess a license of course) in the car with you?

SummerBreeze said:
Don't run a stop sign. Apparently they autofail you for that.

I wonder why... :eek: :p :p :p

SummerBreeze said:
Even if you don't pass, you wait a couple weeks

The way it should be is that if you fail first time... you should NEVER be allowed on the roads ever again, that way we only have the best drivers on the roads, less congestion and of course cheaper insurance for those of us that are good enough to pass first time. ;) :p :p :p heheheh.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
iGav said:
The way it should be is that if you fail first time... you should NEVER be allowed on the roads ever again, that way we only have the best drivers on the roads, less congestion and of course cheaper insurance for those of us that are good enough to pass first time. ;) :p :p :p heheheh.

I can't tell if you're joking or not but I defiantly think it should be like this if you fail like three times or do something ridiculous. Tough titties, bye bye, no driving for you!

A friend of mine had to have SEVEN goes before he passed. SEVEN!

:rolleyes:

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Will Cheyney said:
I think it's a lot harder to pass your driving test in the UK though. You have to drive whiter than white.

I believe that.. and you're on the wrong side of the road :D
I made it anxiously through school today.... gonna read the driver's manual to make sure the written section is fresh in my mind.. I'll post on Wednesday about how it went..

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
mikemodena said:
I believe that.. and you're on the wrong side of the road :D

It's only the wrong side if you're on the side with traffic coming towards you.

:p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Will Cheyney said:
I think it's a lot harder to pass your driving test in the UK though. You have to drive whiter than white.

I can believe that. Our DMV's aren't that strict.

I heard it is really easy in Australia to get your license. My Drivers ed teachers said all he did was walk into the police station answered 5 oral questions, and then he walked out of there with a license 10 minutes later. Can anyone back this up?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what ever you do...DON'T SPEED... i was speeding on mine like 20 MPH over and i still passed on my first try :D :p :eek: :eek:

my ex GF failed it like 4+ times... she was the only senior in our class that didn't pass :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I had to retake my test recently for the first time since I got my license in 1988.. mainly because I moved to a new state years ago and never got a proper state licence (but had to when my last one expired). I was nervous. I aced it. Don't be nervous. It's a waste of your energy. If you studied, you'll do just fine.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
SummerBreeze said:
Don't run a stop sign. Apparently (and I speak from personal experience) they autofail you for that.

Don't hold in the clutch (if driving manual) when making a turn either. I got autofailed for that the first time since it was breaking the law...

EricNau said:
I can believe that. Our DMV's aren't that strict.
The way it works in my state, from what I gather, is that the driving test isn't even required. You have to take/pass driver's ed. and log something like 60 hours of driving time with a certain percentage being at night, but for the intermediate license, you only take the driving test if your birthday happens to fall on a selected date. Lucky me. :rolleyes:

Of course, everyone here is just going to be driving their tractors from the farm into town and back to buy supplies. ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Whyren said:
The way it works in my state, from what I gather, is that the driving test isn't even required. You have to take/pass driver's ed. and log something like 60 hours of driving time with a certain percentage being at night, but for the intermediate license, you only take the driving test if your birthday happens to fall on a selected date. Lucky me. :rolleyes:

Of course, everyone here is just going to be driving their tractors from the farm into town and back to buy supplies. ;)

CA is stricter than that, actually, part of me believes it's not entirely DMV's fault, but rather it's just the average brilliant American that decides speed limits are for suckers.

I think requirements for getting a license should be stricter though.

I think unless you have a 3.5 or above (in High School) you should not be able to get your drivers license until you graduate (or are 18, whichever comes first). The minimum age would remain at 16. Any thoughts?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Bad drivers still pass driving tests. My best advice, don't speed, use your signals, look in your mirrors every now and again.... oh, and don't hit anything... Especially people.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
EricNau said:
CA is stricter than that, actually, part of me believes it's not entirely DMV's fault, but rather it's just the average brilliant American that decides speed limits are for suckers.

I think requirements for getting a license should be stricter though.

I think unless you have a 3.5 or above (in High School) you should not be able to get your drivers license until you graduate (or are 18, whichever comes first). The minimum age would remain at 16. Any thoughts?

Our program is actually a Graduated Driver's License System. It's not perfect, but you still do have to show you are capable of safe driving (in theory).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Whyren said:
Our program is actually a Graduated Driver's License System. It's not perfect, but you still do have to show you are capable of safe driving (in theory).

CA is similar, only you have to be 15.5 years old to get your permit. I don't know if ours is considered "graduated" or not, but there are restrictions for the first 6 months even after you get your license.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Here you have to get your permit at 16, hold it for 4 or 6 months (w/ or w/out driving school), then you can test for your license.. If you pass you can't drive with anyone in the car besides family for 6 months, although no one goes by that.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
PA (grew up there, I live in DE now) has a 30-question written test and then the road test. I remember getting 29/30 on the test (misidentified a railroad crossing sign), and I passed the road test the first time. It was a bit cosmic--it had snowed a foot just a day or two before so there wasn't much room to do anything. The guy had me drive through a nearby housing development for about 5 minutes and then he passed me. I didn't even have to parallel park, probably because there was snow all over the berms. So make sure to take your test after it snows!

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I passed mine 2 years ago on the second go.

Had to pass a theory test (touch screen) 30 out of 35 is the pass mark + a hazard perception test.

Then you can get a practical test as a DSA office they ask you two questions about the car and you have to show them, I got asked how to switch on the headlights, then how to check the oil level (had to show them the oil level on the dip stick).

Then you have the practical which is about 45 mins driving with an examiner, they mark you down for minor faults, e.g. not using mirrors correctly, you are allowed 15minors before failing. If you do something major like not indicating or just pulling out at a junction then its a instant fail.

neffedo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2004
New England
I passed my driving test on the first try. There was one point, though, where I was supposed to back up straight for 50 feet (I think that's what it was) on this quiet street and without stopping, but I got nervous and ended up putting the back of the car past the median on the other side!! I told the guy that I was nervous, though, and he let me try again (even though he told me beforehand that there were no second chances). I did better the second time. :)

My poor friend, though, has failed her test five times. The first was for hitting a parked car, the second was for not stopping completely at a stop sign, the third was for not being able to parallel park, the fourth for not signaling while switching lanes, and the fifth-- she claimed that the guy didn't like her at all. I bet she was speeding. . . :rolleyes:

neffedo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2004
New England
mikemodena said:
Here you have to get your permit at 16, hold it for 4 or 6 months (w/ or w/out driving school), then you can test for your license.. If you pass you can't drive with anyone in the car besides family for 6 months, although no one goes by that.

A 16 year old can get their permit without driving school where you are?

Here they must be older than 18 before they can try for a permit without having taken driving school. And 15 year olds can get their permit as long as they took driving school, but they must have it for a year!!! If you're older than 15, you must have the permit for 3 months and drive a minimum of 40 hours before trying for the test.

No one goes by the 6-months-with-a-family rule, either.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
neffedo said:
A 16 year old can get their permit without driving school where you are?

Here they must be older than 18 before they can try for a permit without having taken driving school. And 15 year olds can get their permit as long as they took driving school, but they must have it for a year!!! If you're older than 15, you must have the permit for 3 months and drive a minimum of 40 hours before trying for the test.

No one goes by the 6-months-with-a-family rule, either.

Yeah.. you have to get your permit before you can start driving school. If you choose not to go it is 6 months and you still have to do 8 hours of drug and alchohol classes.

12 hours to my tesssssst ... .. :eek: :eek: :D

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Will do.. I'll post the second I get home. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me it's all hype.. but I figure when I'm in the car I won't worry about the entire test--but take it one thing at a time.. do whatever they say and after about 10 mins it will be over.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I just got home a little while ago and ate some french toast sticks..

I got one wrong out of 16 on the written... I finished that first so I got to go first on the driving, and I got a perfect road test.. so Friday afternoon I get to pick up my license. :D :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.