Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You know, similar systems actually cost more. While this is far more expensive than a $10 Kidde basic detector, it does a lot more, too. And those advanced systems are twice as much as the Nest, if not more. That's impressive.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Just ordered two. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. Both will be located in central living areas. I'm considering these as an "add-on" to my current detectors rather than replace. Just the fact that they help the auto-away feature is a BIG plus for me. My Nest thermostat is located upstairs and there have been many times when it goes into auto-away when nobody goes up there for a few hours. Really annoying.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Except for the WiFi and the wave-to-silence, First Alert had very similar detector years ago.
They all communicated wirelessly and had a pre-programmed voice alert that let you assign room names to each detector and then told you which specific detector was activated.
They were like $40 each.

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
So it's still going to take batteries? What a stupid design.

Do you even know how a smoke detector operates and how it has to comply with safety code? In the case of a smoke detector, do you even know what safety code implies technically speaking? Before saying such non-sense, why don't you look it up and then post an informed comment?

It's becoming increasingly annoying to read people only on MR to point fingers for random reasons when the most they can achieve in a day, it seems, is to be sitting in front of a screen to do just that - pointing fingers for no reason.

I'll buy 6 (even if it's still taking batteries, duh) in the meantime.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Nest Introduces $129 'Protect' Connected Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector

I'd love to get these,but they're a little too costly for me.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
How many detectors does the average house have? I'm pretty sure my house has about 7 and it's a rather average size. That's quite the chunk of change for something that produces little benefit. I think the most useful part is that it tells you which room the smoke is coming from, but unless you have one in each room this feature isn't very useful.
In my state, you are actually required to put one in every bedroom, now. And many other rooms, too. Makes these advanced systems pretty pricey.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I hope they'll make the battery version promptly available in Nordic countries, since they're taking so long to bring the Nest over here.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

Doesn't your iPhone, iPad or MacBook (or competing products if you don't use the Apple versions) have a battery in it?

Why is battery power stupid?

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I love nest,I really do,however I'll have to pass on these. My home is 3288sft. 5 bed 4 baths,living room,dining room,family room....plus I have smoke detectors in my attic and garage. I'd need about 10 of these. That's just too costly for me. Love their products though. I bought two of their thermostats,one for upstairs one for downstairs. They say you can't put a price on safety,so who knows. I'll have to see just exactly how many I need. Great product,just wish they were cheaper.

Yeah same here. I have an 8000 sq ft home with 2 Ferraris. Plus I have a 1000 sq ft gazebo next to my 2 hole golf course. Gonna have to pass.

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
Doesn't your iPhone, iPad or MacBook (or competing products if you don't use the Apple versions) have a battery in it?

Why is battery power stupid?

Don't bother asking. He's just here to point a finger for no reason.
'What? It comes in black or white? What a stupid design.'

Going Digital

Suspended
Feb 22, 2011
CO detectors have a finite life of a maximum of approx 7 years. Quite a lot of money to throw out every 7 years.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yeah same here. I have an 8000 sq ft home with 2 Ferraris. Plus I have a 1000 sq ft gazebo next to my 2 hole golf course. Gonna have to pass.

If that is true, then you aren't hurting for money. And though I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be frugal, my guess is you could upgrade at some point without issue.

I have 2 of the Nest thermostats and they are pretty good. I do get a little annoyed that they are not as smart as I would like them to be. When I turn the temp up or down and five minutes later it hits one of its "learned scheduled events, based on my past habits" it will adjust the stat, and it shouldn't. It should realize I just overrode the schedule and to go with that. Likewise, I know that the stat has access to the outside temp, but it doesn't seem to adjust the temp based on that information, more on learned scheduling.

I currently have 2 in my house. But I have 5 thermostats as I have a radiant system with a stat for each zone. And so these only control my heat in the winter. I put them in the two upstairs zones, and haven't decided if I plan to update the other 3 stats. I would like to for a homogenous system and look, but don't see the point in outlaying $750. They really haven't come down in price.

Likewise with this, $129 is steep. I have 7 or 8 smoke detectors in my house. At $59 to $79 each, I could see doing it. I hate the chirping. But not at $129 a pop.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Except for the WiFi and the wave-to-silence, First Alert had very similar detector years ago.
They all communicated wirelessly and had a pre-programmed voice alert that let you assign room names to each detector and then told you which specific detector was activated.
They were like $40 each.
I don't think they make a device with 5 different sensor types. 2 at most. You'd need 3 devices in each room from First Alert to match. They are very low end.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Two interesting things from looking at the manual:
- The unit lasts 7 years. After 7 years the CO sensor expires and the entire unit must be replaced. I think it this pretty standard for CO sensors (I've got to double-check the one I have in place), but keep it in mind when thinking of how much these cost.
- The hardwired version has backup batteries. I was thinking of picking up the battery version until I saw that power loss isn't an issue.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012

I thought it was code to have battery backup. First thing to go should you have a electric file will be the main panel and therefore a/c only powered smoke detectors. If they even make such a thing.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Not a game changer.

Is it photoelectric

I can get a First Alert BRK Photoelectric with Strobe for $99.

CO detectors shouldn't be mounted on the ceiling. I recommend separate sensors place in areas were smoke detection isn't a chief concern (buy furnaces, fireplaces, in each room, garage etc)

This really is just a crappy product in fancy packaging. Whereas the Nest Thermo could save you money in the long term this product is simply going to burn up your funds and never show a return on investment that is superior to what you can have for less than half its cost.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I like some of the ideas that people have mentioned... there is an opportunity here to think of whole-home "sensor fusion" as opposed to a simple one-task device (smoke detection). I think Nest is heading down this path already and I look forward to more.

It's not just a thermostat and 4 or 5 smoke detectors now... it's a network of sensors that can detect your presence and update the thermostat accordingly. Now if you could integrate this with home automation software, you could do so much more, like automatically turn off lights or appliances that have been left on unattended, or turn something on when you come home from work, or integrate with your home alarm system to alert the police if an intruder breaks in or the fire department if a fire is sensed for long enough.

I like the idea of integrating some kind of music and/or intercom capability.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Ya they are not cheap but what is your home, family, belongings worth to you?

My family and belongings are adequately protected by 6 Kiddee smoke and CO detectors, thank you very much for asking. At $95 less per detector than the nest version, it provides the required protection.

The irony is that the important internals of these detectors are probably manufactured on Kiddee/First Alert's assembly line.

Just the fact that they help the auto-away feature is a BIG plus for me. My Nest thermostat...goes into auto-away when nobody goes up there for a few hours.

Too bad nest just doesn't make a hocky puck sensor that just provides auto-away coverage for a reasonable price. It seems to me that this would be more appropriately bundled with home-security system sensors. Maybe that is coming...

Maybe I just am not excited by this because I don't have Nest thermostats, so 80% of the benefits of this device would go unrealized. With electric baseboard heaters and 11 line-voltage thermostats in my house, there is no way I can afford to make the conversion to Nest.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Nest should offer a PACKAGE DEAL.

Buy 4 for $399.

I wonder if it is an APPROVED smoke alarm too.
($129 is a bit steep for a vital safety device)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Nest should offer a PACKAGE DEAL.

Buy 4 for $399.

I wonder if it is an APPROVED smoke alarm too.
($129 is a bit steep for a vital safety device)
You can go to homedepot and get one for much cheaper.

If you personally elect to get this one with WIFI connectivity and cloud service features from Nest, then well, you elected for the elevated price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.