Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Looks like, it's listed as "SDHC" for all of the new iMacs... :confused:

Does anybody have SDXC card to test it out on one of the new iMacs?

Lol, shouldn't this have been thought of before? ;)

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Hm, if our SD readers are the same as the below MBPs, this would lead one to believe that it is not SDXC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

Does the SD slot work with cards that exceed 32 GB?

Yes. However, most media manufactures preformat the media using common block-and-cluster sizes that do not approach the theoretical limits of a given file system. Most SD cards use the FAT32 file format. Preformatted FAT32 SD media is commonly available up to a capacity of 32 GB. Some smaller capacity cards use the FAT16 file format. Preformatted FAT16 media is generally available up to a capacity of 2 GB.

Will the SD card slot work with SD cards that use the exFAT file system?

No.

persolo

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
Why do you care how it is listed? That's probably just some programmatic guesswork based on the USB device ID. Maybe it is an ID shared with a "old" SDHC reader which has now been upgraded to also read SDXC.

How about testing it? Either it does read SDXC cards and your fine, or it does not and you'll get a new iMac. Which is more likely? :p

Dixie Flatline

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Before panicking, one might want to read this:
SDHC and SDXC compatibility issues

SDHC and SDXC use exactly the same electrical interface -- the only differences are software (new filesystem to get around the limits of FAT32) and labeling (if it's bigger than 32GB, it's SDXC, if it's 32GB or smaller, it's SDHC). The SD 4.0 specification will allow higher bus speeds for SDXC, but it's not even out yet, so nobody can be compliant with it.

Even the card reader is the same SDHC part as found in older Macs, all it takes for it to use SDXC is software support. (Which makes me wonder if those older units are going to get a sudden miraculous upgrade, but I doubt it.)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hi All,

I just bought an 27inch iMac from a local apple store yesterday.

After unboxing, I checked if everything was cool with the iMac(dead/stcuk pixel, yellow tinting, any imperfections, etc)

When I looked at the System Profile to check various types of devices, I noticed that it lists the type of SD card reader as "SDHC". NOT "SDXC"!!!! :eek: Look at the screen capture I am attaching.

I did some googling to check if anybody has posted regarding this.. I ran into this short article and looks like upon inserting a SD card, --- Visiting the slot in Disk Utility with an SD card inside shows an "Apple SDXC Reader" ---
(ALTHOUGH the article was based on the new mac mini)
Read more: http://www.electronista.com/article...e.of.first.computers.with.sdxc/#ixzz0w1eiESwe

So I inserted my 8GB SDHC card and went to the disk utility but it just displays "APPLE SD Card Reader Media" :( (look at the second picture that is attached)

Can anyone of you who owns a new iMac check if you see it listed as SDXC or SDHC under your system profiler or disk utility? THANKS~!!! :D

I would like to check this myself as well. May I ask where in System Profiler do you see the SD card info? I have a 27" iMac and a Core i5 15" MBP and I can't find this info. I don't see anything highlighted on your system preferences screenshot to indicate the SD card slot info.

red kiosk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I just got off the phone with Apple Support regarding this issue. My 27", 2.93 i7
8GB (2x4), 2TB+256 SSD also lists it as a SDHC. They told me that the new computers do indeed have the SDXC card reader, but they listed it wrong on the system profiler. The next software update will address this issue and change the card reader description to what it should be. Does this make sense to you? I'll be happy when someone with a SDXC card actually tries it out. Take care!

hl450

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
I just got off the phone with Apple Support regarding this issue. My 27", 2.93 i7
8GB (2x4), 2TB+256 SSD also lists it as a SDHC. They told me that the new computers do indeed have the SDXC card reader, but they listed it wrong on the system profiler. The next software update will address this issue and change the card reader description to what it should be. Does this make sense to you? I'll be happy when someone with a SDXC card actually tries it out. Take care!

Well, it makes sense but what doesn't make sense is how the new mac minis have it displayed as SDXC READER??? :confused:

hl450

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
I would like to check this myself as well. May I ask where in System Profiler do you see the SD card info? I have a 27" iMac and a Core i5 15" MBP and I can't find this info. I don't see anything highlighted on your system preferences screenshot to indicate the SD card slot info.

You can click on the apple logo on the top left corner --> About This Mac --> More info... ---- This launches System Profiler.

Then under Hardward/Card Readers for iMac

for MBP it may be listed (Not sure as I don't own a MBP)

under Hardware/USB/USB HIGH-spped Bus

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009

Didn't that update already take place? I thought that this was supposed to resolve the SD reader issues, based on what it mentions as being specific to mid 2010 iMacs. Is it possible that the reader's functionality was updated by adding compatibility for SDXC, but the description in the system profiler was somehow overlooked?

Chucknutter

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
You can click on the apple logo on the top left corner --> About This Mac --> More info... ---- This launches System Profiler.

Then under Hardward/Card Readers for iMac

for MBP it may be listed (Not sure as I don't own a MBP)

under Hardware/USB/USB HIGH-spped Bus

Same here. I went through system profiler and didn't see anyhting that looked like a card reader.

red kiosk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Same here. I went through system profiler and didn't see anyhting that looked like a card reader.

It's the 4th one down under "Hardware", between "Bluetooth" and "Diagnostics". Just click on "Card Reader" and another window will appear. Take care!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Didn't that update already take place? I thought that this was supposed to resolve the SD reader issues, based on what it mentions as being specific to mid 2010 iMacs. Is it possible that the reader's functionality was updated by adding compatibility for SDXC, but the description in the system profiler was somehow overlooked?
Yes, that's how I interpret that patch description, now that Apple Support has said this.

dkly007

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
After managing to find some time to give AppleCare a call today, here is the outcome.

Firstly I explained my situation:
iMac Core i7, bought over the weekend has Card Reader Type listed as SDHC under the System Profiler. Checked out Tech Specs on Website and the Card Reader is listed as SDXC.

AppleCare Operator's Response:
Your iMac's Serial lists your machine as Mid 2010, you seem to have the latest in hardware revisions that Apple puts into their machines. I'm surprised that your machine lists your Card Reader as SDHC instead of SDXC. Did you purchase your machine online or through a store?

Response: Through a store

AppleCare Operator: Since your purchase is less than 14 days old, please find some time to pop into the store and ask them how they intend to resolve the problem. If they refer you back to us (AppleCare) I will provide you with a Case Number so that when you call back we will have reference of what has been discussed today and if further action is required we will put you through to a senior advisor who will then help you resolve your problem.

So after 20mins on the phone, I now have to find time to go to the Apple store and have a chat with them.

I'll let you know how things go.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand

SDHC and SDXC use exactly the same electrical interface -- the only differences are software (new filesystem to get around the limits of FAT32) and labeling (if it's bigger than 32GB, it's SDXC, if it's 32GB or smaller, it's SDHC). The SD 4.0 specification will allow higher bus speeds for SDXC, but it's not even out yet, so nobody can be compliant with it.

Even the card reader is the same SDHC part as found in older Macs, all it takes for it to use SDXC is software support. (Which makes me wonder if those older units are going to get a sudden miraculous upgrade, but I doubt it.)

Did you guys miss this post?....

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just tested my 2010 Mac mini, and it says this:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-10 at 8.04.22 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-10 at 8.04.22 AM.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 408

hl450

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010

I think what that paragraph is saying is SDHC and SDXC in SD 3.0 spec use the same electrical interface.. but current SDHCs are based on SD 2.0 spec(READ the SDHC section in that wiki page) so i am guessing SD 2.0 spec SDHCs use different electrical interface... therefore current SDHC based hosts won't be able to read/write SDXC..

In SD association FAQ page, it says:
Is SDXC compatible with existing SD hosts?
Existing SD and SDHC host devices will not be compatible with new SDXC cards, but existing SD and SDHC cards will still continue to be offered by card manufacturers for the foreseeable future. Existing SD and SDHC cards will work in SDXC host devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.