Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
9to5 has a great track record so this is now pretty much confirmed. So right now you can get a 64GB Air 2 for 599. So now 599 will get you less storage, 4 speakers, support for a $99 Apple Pencil and a A9X processor????? Wow, this is the biggest middle finger Apple has given us in a while.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If the only extra benefit that extra $100 got you was an extra 16GB you'd have a point.

But, you don't have a point because there's many other differences.
Not sure what your point was since the post clearly stated: "At least they're starting with 32GB, so I guess the screen and extra speakers must account for the $100 bump."

On topic: Hopefully for Apple, this will give the iPad a much needed boost. Won't be from me, but I'm sure some will find this exciting. The two iPads at my house are glorified paper weights. No one uses them. Tablets are a category that have come and gone in my use case.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
It's $200 less than the 12.9" iPad Pro and is exactly where I was expecting it. It adds Pencil support and the smart connector. I also think we'll see more accessories and improvements to iOS in the future that are specific to the Pro devices. Essentially we'll have "regular" iPads at 7.9" and 9.7", and iPad Pros at 9.7" and 12.9".

IMO, the additions to the pro, aside from its size, don't do enough to justify the fragment the iPad line again and even more verbosely than before given that these features are basically natural progressions of the iPad line as a whole.

Apple's attempt to create independent lines within the franchise by using older products is already sloppy. This adds another class of complexity and significantly devalues that existing system.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
I think it's a bad idea for Apple to be increasing their prices like this. You would think they would want to continue to keep their would-be competitors in tablets like Samsung away with a ten foot pole rather than providing more oxygen to subsist in.

It's also reminiscent of recent little things such as the only 16GB memory in iPhone 6s and degrading hard drives for iMac -- general nickle and diming customer. Not enough money to build as many hydrogen and solar-powered data centers as they'd like? Apple needs more cash?

I just really don't think this kind of ambitiousness in profitability was Jobs' style. He was ambitious about innovation in the products themselves. Apple has done poorly every time they did things in the bean-counter way. The Jobs way is what they owe all their success to.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I will say, those speakers are pretty impressive. We have a Pro at work and it was shocking how loud and clear they were. So good that it would be pointless to buy a nice bluetooth speaker to go with it.

Reactions: VMMan and eyeseeyou

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Typical Tim Cook Apple:
1. run out of ideas (Just take a look at iOS and OSX)
2. go after new product category prematurely (Watch)
3. resizing and renaming existing ones
4. having done all above, have the audacity to increase price.

Point 3 is the perfect description for what Apple stands for nowadays. Making the same old iOS devices bigger, smaller, bigger again, smaller, Mini, Pro, Mini again, Mini Pro Mini... It's so desperate, you have to guess that when privately behind closed doors, Tim Cook & Co. are crying all days on their knees: "Steve, why have you left us?! We don't know what to DO anymore!" That, or they became really *that* arrogant that they honestly think that their ship still is right on track...

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
What the hell is up with this stupid fragmentation that they are starting to enforce? Why the hell would there only be a jump from 32GB to 128GB and why limit the LTE/Sim model to only the 128GB model? It's starting to become beyond stupid and horrible in terms of user friendliness...

I've always gone for the 64GB@LTE model. I might be able to live with only 32GB but I still need the LTE support so now I'm force to go with 128GB which is ridiculously huge and a complete waste for my use. I suppose I have to start draining my iPhone's battery using WiFi Hotspot in the future.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
I'm not surprised but still disappointed.

No doubt Apple will be increasing its average profit per unit with this move.

Let's look at the main changes:
  • The A9X is nice, but that's what a non-Pro iPad would have had either way if they had kept their previous pattern. (e.g. if Apple had gone with a $499 iPad Air 3, it still would have had an A9X). In fact, their flagship 9.7" iPad's chip is kind of weaker than before (relative to time), considering the Air 1 and Air 2 were released with a brand new architecture, whereas this iPad Pro will use a 6-month old architecture that will probably be surpassed by the iPhone 7's A10 in another 6 months.
  • Having 4 speakers is nice, but that doesn't justify a price increase. Small speakers like those are dirt cheap.
  • An increase to 32GB for the base model is nice, but again, doesn't justify a price increase. 16GB has been the norm ever since the first iPad was released in 2010. 32GB of NAND storage in 2016 probably isn't more expensive than 16GB in 2010. iPhones have seen their base capacity increase over the years (4 to 8 to 16) without a price increase. Same for iPods and Macs.
All those don't justify the Pro branding and the $100 extra. It's stuff you should expect from an Air 2 -> Air 3 update (which is an expectional 2-year cycle, so it's normal to have slightly higher expectations too).

So really, what justifies the Pro branding and associated $100 increase? 2 other main changes:
  • Smart Connector
  • Apple Pencil support
The thing is, to actually use those capabilities, you need to buy high-margin accessories sold separately. So Apple was going to increase their average profit per iPad sold either way, regardless of a price increase for the iPad itself.

The iPad also had various reductions in component costs over time (e.g. newer iPads having smaller batteries and enclosures than older ones) that never resulted in any price decrease.

Apple is getting really agressive about increasing its profits. Between this, the price of the 12.6" iPad Pro and its accessories, and the price of the new Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad, I'm getting worried a little.

Welcome to Tim Cook Apple. None of what made Apple great (i.e. Steve Jobs vision and ideas). Lots of eking every dime of profit out available. It might be slow, but the decline will be inexorable. HP/Dell/MS/Sony here we come.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
So really, what justifies the Pro branding and associated $100 increase? 2 other main changes:
  • Smart Connector
  • Apple Pencil support
The thing is, to actually use those capabilities, you need to buy high-margin accessories sold separately.

Maybe they throw in a free Pencil? (Just kidding...)

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
That was my thought too. Like "hmmm sales numbers are going down drastically for iPads. What do we do? Ah I know. Increase the price! That'll get people buying "

What they should've done is kept at the same price point and updated it to a smaller pro for INCENTIVE for people to upgrade their current tablets
Agreed. When you put an Air 2 next to the iPad Pro theres almost ZERO perceptible speed difference. So Really the only noticeable thing will be support for a $99 apple pencil and 4 speakers.......and less storage than the Air 2 at $599. Im really really shocked they're being THIS arrogant.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Reading the posts, a large majority complains that Apple is ripping consumers off by the +$100 up-charge for the new model for just the "Pro" moniker and a measly 16GB extra RAM, yet these same people rally around Apple when they report the model is the highest selling iPad EVER and record profits are recorded!

Until people check themselves in for addiction therapy and start telling Apple what they think with their wallet, Apple will keep raising the price and reducing the value.

My iPad Mini (original) still does everything I need just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.