Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
On review, the only thing I don't like about the ad is, "we've shampooed the camels". Camels aren't exactly Australian, even if there's millions of them out there and I don't really care if they've been shampooed or not.

They sort of are Australian now. Introduced certainly, but we have the only wild population of camels in the world. I'd rather ride a clean one than one that's been a day or two out of the shower, smelly arrogant things they are.

I hope they didn't forget to take the sharks out of the bathtub when they got them out of the pool.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Haven't seen it on TV over here yet - but viewing online I think its great. Can't wait to get over there in April!

I remember when I was a kid my parents not being happy with me using "bloody idiot" to describe a classmate - I was around 8 at the time. But as that was a wee while ago now (like 1983:eek: ) it really isn't as offensive as it may have been once upon a time.

Like 1872....

Will some of our American cousins really be offended by this?!?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Good, ad, not that I needed selling but that plane ticket is -> <- close to being in my hand.

I am in bloody Denmark where this season there is not such thing as bloody clear skies. It has been perpetually clouded over for 3 bloody weeks. Today was the first time that I saw blue sky in almost 2 weeks. That's where the bloody hell I am!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Piarco75 said:
Will some of our American cousins really be offended by this?!?

You bet your sweet bippy...

I knew a guy over here on exchange who took offense to a fishing shop called "Hellraiser Tackle" having an easter promotion for fishing rods and stuff.
He was a gym junkie and as such, too big for me to call a pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boy. But it's the thought that counts.

I've heard loads of people say "oh gosh" "darn" "oh my goodness" instead of "oh god" "damn" and "oh my god." I thought the previous phrases died out in the 1800's

It just strikes me as weird what some people see as offensive we see as an integral part of our vernacular.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I really like it.

I'm not an aussie so I can't say how realistic it is or not, but it definitely seems to sum up what I as an American think of when I think about Australia.

I've thought about either moving to Ireland, the UK, or Australia - I can now say that Australia is in the lead :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I took this photo in July - middle of winter. Albeit a fairly warm, dry and sunny winter, it was winter nonetheless.

It was about 18°C or 19°C (about 65°F) out of the water and roughly the same if not warmer in the water. Those surfers are just wearing 3/4 wetsuits.
beach0zk.jpg

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I liked the ad. I, too, didn't really need any selling, though. Australia has been on the list of "must-see's" for quite some time now. The hubby and I have been saving up our airline miles just so we can get an upgrade when we finally do get to fly over there. I actually have enough to cover the cost of the ticket, but there's no way we'd want to get stuck in coach for a 14 hour flight. So we'll buy the ticket and upgrade with the miles....

Just keep the nasty sharks out of the pool (and bathtub). Would be fun to see some of the nicer ones when SCUBA diving...mate. :)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Chundles said:
I took this photo in July - middle of winter. Albeit a fairly warm, dry and sunny winter, it was winter nonetheless.

It was about 18°C or 19°C (about 65°F) out of the water and roughly the same if not warmer in the water. Those surfers are just wearing 3/4 wetsuits.
beach0zk.jpg

Btw...what's the sunburn/skin cancer factor like down under? :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
floriflee said:
Btw...what's the sunburn/skin cancer factor like down under? :D
You don't want to know. I think it may be one of the highest in the world, but nobody needs to know that.

Edit: You also may have noticed that we are all insomniacs too.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
EricNau said:
I'm not offended...

...But I can see how parents with young kids watching it might be. It's probably best left off of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, but other than that, it's fine.
Hmm, as the parent of young kids, I'm not offended. But then it doesn't bother me when my 3 yr old says things like poop, bum and fart, although it bothers my brother (himself the father of two).

Bloody hell, "bloody hell" is about as mild an expletive as you can get.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
max_altitude said:
You don't want to know. I think it may be one of the highest in the world, but nobody needs to know that.

Okay... so... heavy duty sunscreen... check!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:

Yup, highest in the world. On a fully overcast (and I mean heaviliy overcast) rainy day, the UV level might be rated at "low." On a normal sunny day in summer it will start at "high" and be "extreme" from about 10am till 3pm when it goes back to "high" until about 8pm when it drops back to medium for a while before the sun goes down. Winter just means the time it's "extreme" is shorter.

Basically, if you go skiing on a patchy cloudy day in winter and don't put sunscreen on, you'll most likely burn. I can get a full "panda-eyes" ski tan down here in about 3 days if I don't put on sunscreen.

We don't even bother with anything less than spf30+. Any lower is no good, any higher is just silly, the ratings mean bugger all above 30.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Here's another tip. Make sure the place you are staying has air conditioning. It's the middle of the night here and I reckon I could go out an get a bloody sun tan - it's still 26 degrees and bloody muggy.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
Here's another tip. Make sure the place you are staying has air conditioning. It's the middle of the night here and I reckon I could go out an get a bloody sun tan - it's still 26 degrees and bloody muggy.

Only 24°C here, muggy as all hell though.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
max_altitude said:
On review, the only thing I don't like about the ad is, "we've shampooed the camels". Camels aren't exactly Australian, even if there's millions of them out there and I don't really care if they've been shampooed or not.

That was the only thing that puzzled me. Even if camels are common there now, it wouldn't seem to be a tourist draw for those who want to "experience" Australia.

I guess it's not any weirder than including Las Vegas on a tour of the U.S. Not the real America, but it's fun so what the hell.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Chundles said:
You bet your sweet bippy...

I knew a guy over here on exchange who took offense to a fishing shop called "Hellraiser Tackle" having an easter promotion for fishing rods and stuff.
He was a gym junkie and as such, too big for me to call a pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boy. But it's the thought that counts.

I've heard loads of people say "oh gosh" "darn" "oh my goodness" instead of "oh god" "damn" and "oh my god." I thought the previous phrases died out in the 1800's

It just strikes me as weird what some people see as offensive we see as an integral part of our vernacular.

We sent you the wrong Americans. Please don't send them back here though. :p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Chundles said:
Yup, highest in the world. On a fully overcast (and I mean heaviliy overcast) rainy day, the UV level might be rated at "low." On a normal sunny day in summer it will start at "high" and be "extreme" from about 10am till 3pm when it goes back to "high" until about 8pm when it drops back to medium for a while before the sun goes down. Winter just means the time it's "extreme" is shorter.

Basically, if you go skiing on a patchy cloudy day in winter and don't put sunscreen on, you'll most likely burn. I can get a full "panda-eyes" ski tan down here in about 3 days if I don't put on sunscreen.

We don't even bother with anything less than spf30+. Any lower is no good, any higher is just silly, the ratings mean bugger all above 30.
You guys also have great sunscreen - Australian Blue Lizard SunCream is the best I can find in the US.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
In Illinois here our summers can get bad. 33-35C and 90-100% humidity are not uncommon. Luckily it usually stays down in the 25-33C range with only 70%+ humidity.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
EricNau said:
You guys also have great sunscreen - Australian Blue Lizard SunCream is the best I can find in the US.

I've never heard of it - glad to know it's good though.

I use either Banana Boat "Extreem Creem" - it's super thick and is good for long days in the sun or Ambre Solaire - a gel that goes on and dries very quickly, none of that gross greasy feeling but it's only 20+ so I can't really spend all day in the sun with it on, it's more of an everyday cream.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Chundles said:
I've never heard of it - glad to know it's good though.

I use either Banana Boat "Extreem Creem" - it's super thick and is good for long days in the sun or Ambre Solaire - a gel that goes on and dries very quickly, none of that gross greasy feeling but it's only 20+ so I can't really spend all day in the sun with it on, it's more of an everyday cream.
I just looked, and it's made in the US! :confused: Now that makes a lot of sense - "Blue Lizard Australian SunCream" - made in the US! :rolleyes: (apparently it was formulated in Australia)

Anyway...
The coolest thing is that their bottles turn from white to blue when in contact with UVA rays to remind you to put some on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.