New external hard drive- formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Hi, I got an new ext. hard drive for Christmas (Barracuda 7200 320) and plugged it in; OSX sees it but says the computer needs to initialize it, I've opened up Disk Ute. but how do I properly format it for Mac? (Btw, it says it only has 298GB instead of 320ish, preferably I'd like to gain some of that space too). Cheers
    EDIT- It's formatted now, but still only ~298/320GB is shown as its capacity? Thoughts? Thankx
    Smile like you mean it

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

'Formatting' does not in fact take up 6-9% of space, but rather a very tiny fraction of that. What you're seeing is a battle between marketing and technology. Marketing calls a kilobyte 1000 bytes, while technically it's 1024 bytes. Multiply this disparity up to 320GB, and 298GB is what you get. It's as simple as that.

3. trogdor! macrumors regular

woops, my bad, sorry for the misinformation

4. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

check the manufacturer's website.

I just got a Seagate 250gb external HD at compusa and I ran into the same problem you did.

I went to the Seagate homepage and found the right way to erase and reformat the drive to work with my Mac.

Now i'm not sure if I should just go ahead and delete all my music files to save space and move all my MP3s onto the hard drive.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And the answer is...
    If you are going to use the drive exclusively with OSX, then format it Macintosh Extended (or HFS+). If you are going to use it in common between OSX and BootCamp data, OR if you are going to move it from a Mac to a PC, then format it to MS-DOS (FAT32) format with Disk Utility.

6. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

7. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

Now I get it, thanks a lot. Still. Please don't advertise that if that's not what you get! :D
    Btw, I have another thread about replacing my iBook's internal HD- hopefully I can get a 120GB HD, what I can afford, anyway, what will be its "marketing vs technology" actual capacity; without OSX or anything on it?
    Cheers
    EDIT- any good (free) backup apps out there? Just a disk image or what?