Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Anyone that knows anything about cameras and photography knows that a larger aperture increases the amount of light reaching the sensor, not necessarily that the sensor is larger.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
And if all they put out is an entry level mini with lesser specs than the current iPad...

...you're gonna look a little silly.

That's fanboism at its absolute worst. And before anyone goes knocking on me as anti-apple, look at my profile and what I own. I love my Mac, iPhone, etc, but Jesus!

It's like the Star Trek thing. I love the shows and movies. I do not own any vulcan ears or costumes and have never been to a convention.

I cant upvote you enough for this! The star trek analogy is very fitting!

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Anyone selling their 7-month-old iPad to get a tweaked new one is just insane to me. If you want a smaller mini I could understand but jeez. I had a hard time justifying the jump from iPhone 4 to 5 to myself. They could make the tweaked iPad 1.5x faster and I'd still be fine with the 7-month old "obsolete" model.

Why not? If you sell you old Ipad 3 and get a new one, at worst, you are looking at an additional $200 or less. Some folks go to a movie a date, buy a couple of soda and hotdog and total cost will be in the $40-50. And if you go to a basketball or baseball game with someone, you can easily spend more that a couple hundred. It is all about disposable income. Some has more than the other. So if the boy/girl want their new toy and they have the dough to pay for it, good for them.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Yesterday, whilst at a Best Buy purchasing a bunch of BluRay films, I wandered over to the Apple display and noticed the iPad 2 was being removed from its "display stalk", the price flyer next to it was overturned, and an iPad 2 photo description was taken down and put in the back room.

Meaning that no more iPad 2's will be available. It's gone. Finished.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Yesterday, whilst at a Best Buy purchasing a bunch of BluRay films, I wandered over to the Apple display and noticed the iPad 2 was being removed from its "display stalk", the price flyer next to it was overturned, and an iPad 2 photo description was taken down and put in the back room.

Meaning that no more iPad 2's will be available. It's gone. Finished.
My period of mourning will last for exactly zero nanoseconds. I wonder if the true hardcore fanboys do that when products are discontinued... like, wear black "iCry" t-shirts and console each other.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
They could call it iPad and market it as The new iPad. :rolleyes:

You know, same as they do all their other product lines.
The only other company I know that does this thing with including-"new"-in-the-product-name-but-not-really, is Volkswagen. If there's a new Golf or Passat out, they replace the navigation buttons with "Der Neue Golf", "Der Neue Passat" etc and keep it like that for about a year until they revert back to just the names. That way it's easy to keep track of which models are new and hot right now. I like it. Which is more than I can say about Apple's method of calling it "The New..." until the second the next one comes out. An 11 month old hi-tech product is many things, but "new", it ain't.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Well, if they don't update the ipad or if it's just minor tweaks, it's only 5 months or so before the new one comes out...When it does it will like have huge changes in performance and form factor....

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
haha wow, you're a total fool for even thinking you know what I need. If you go back and look at ALL my previous posts - I rarely even touch my iPad. I use it as a PORTFOLIO for my clients to see my work. Since I don't really use it a lot, I would prefer to have it be cheaper.

I simply wanted the new one based on two things

1. iPad Mini - if it comes with a great screen and is $329 I'll buy it. It's cheaper than the full size iPad, lighter to carry, and uses lightning cable.

2. updated 9.7" iPad - I'll buy it just so don't have to carry two types of cables around. I have an iPhone 5 so it would be great to just carry 1 lightning cable.

So before you go blindly bashing people, you should ask why they want something. Geezus, it's worse than androidauthority here. People bashing their own apple-mates...lol

OK, I was gonna let it go, but I just can't.

You're right I don't know you any more than you know me. As to reading all your prior posts; are you kidding? I don't re-read all the drivel I've written on here, why would I ever waste time on the near 7 hundred entries you have made. That said, it is how your post presents itself that grabbed my attention. You said:

"LOL wooot wooot! exciting morning tomorrow! Got my $$$ ready! Already sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for either the new iPad or iPad mini".​

Without knowing what's coming (good, bad or indifferent) you sold your current gear, ready to buy whatever Apple had to offer. Pretty much fanboi behavior. Or so it reads. Hence my response.

No, I don't know what you want, but it sounds like you don't either - it seems to be that you use your iPad as a really expensive photo frame, albeit one with a superior screen - you might have done better with a paper port - since printing is fairly inexpensive.

As to the cable issue, an adapter is $30.

As to "androidauthority" and "apple-mates", I am neither. I hate fanboism as it is just another, if slightly kinder, form of fanaticism. Yes, all of my computing and mobile goodies (save a Galaxy tab I got for free with a cable/internet/phone plan and hardly ever use) are Apple made. That's cause they are the best for me at this time. But I'm not a bloody loony about it.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
What is this? Android? Where you buy a device and 3 hours later a new updated device comes out??

Quoting myself but I guess this is android. lol.

I'm sure people who bought the 3rd generation ipad will say they don't care but twice as fast CPU and GPU and you just bought it months ago? Apple knew all along they'd be releasing this fourth generation. Wow.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
OK, I was gonna let it go, but I just can't.

You're right I don't know you any more than you know me. As to reading all your prior posts; are you kidding? I don't re-read all the drivel I've written on here, why would I ever waste time on the near 7 hundred entries you have made. That said, it is how your post presents itself that grabbed my attention. You said:

"LOL wooot wooot! exciting morning tomorrow! Got my $$$ ready! Already sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for either the new iPad or iPad mini".​

Without knowing what's coming (good, bad or indifferent) you sold your current gear, ready to buy whatever Apple had to offer. Pretty much fanboi behavior. Or so it reads. Hence my response.

No, I don't know what you want, but it sounds like you don't either - it seems to be that you use your iPad as a really expensive photo frame, albeit one with a superior screen - you might have done better with a paper port - since printing is fairly inexpensive.

As to the cable issue, an adapter is $30.

As to "androidauthority" and "apple-mates", I am neither. I hate fanboism as it is just another, if slightly kinder, form of fanaticism. Yes, all of my computing and mobile goodies (save a Galaxy tab I got for free with a cable/internet/phone plan and hardly ever use) are Apple made. That's cause they are the best for me at this time. But I'm not a bloody loony about it.

:rolleyes: You have ZERO idea what you're talking about

Some of us use our iPad to MAKE money. Did you know a pro photographer/designer's portfolio in PRINT costs over $800 for 50 pages? Do you even realize the value of having hundreds and hundreds of photos in different categories and video work (I also direct) at the fingertip of your client? No? Yeah, then stop pretending like you do. My glorified picture frame is my direct access to my clients. Geez. You sound like an ignorant prick right now.

Really? then tell me why, if I'm a fanboy, that I used PC for 10 years, used Mac for only 2.5 and why I have bought and used the galaxy SIII, Nexus, G1, MyTouch 4G on every carrier. I'm a die hard fan, but I'm not crazy and stupid. I see and try out competitors products before making my own judgement.

So next time, think before you bash someone. People actually make money using these devices - so it pays to have the latest and best fitting tool.

Oh btw, when I went to a meeting 1 year ago with one of the biggest fashion clients in the US, I had a print book AND my iPad - I knew I was meeting with 2 people so I had both of them open and ready to go on the table. They BOTH went for the iPad and shared it instead of looking through my print book. So you tell me why the hell would I keep printing?

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Think Apple will call this the newer iPad? And the one next year will be call newest iPad.

It's kinda like the Blackadder III episode with Pitt the Younger, Pitt the Even Younger, Pitt the Toddler, Pitt the Embryo and Pitt the Glint in the Milkman's eye.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
His 3rd gen iPad isn't portable???:eek:

Tell me when I said that. Oh wait, I didn't? Ok then.

I don't know if you know this, but generally speaking a ~7-8" tablet will be smaller than a ~10" tablet, often leading to increased portability. Surprising, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.