Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of the new ads was the best?

• Counselor

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • Better Results

Votes: 122 56.5%
  • Self Pity

Votes: 58 26.9%

• Total voters

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Macnoviz said:
How about two females?
Oh oh... not good! Then some people could have felt offended to make fun about obese and (sorry) ugly women... But this is not what the the ads are about. Even the Nac guy is not really a hotty, he is just cooler than the PC.

Nobody is offended by a pretty model in an ad. The same applies to man who is making a jerk out of himself by being dressed with no real effort like a woman.

I am pretty sure this was discussed when the ad was developped and how it was made was the only way to make it politically correct...

And it is funnier anyway! :D

groovebuster

Yannick

macrumors member
Clive At Five said:
Okay, don't take this as me bashing other cultures, but couldn't they have found an attractive model who could've said, "Hi, I'm a Mac home movie" in a fashion that was easier to understand?

I mean, someone might take that as "uh oh... my Mac home Movie is going to have an accent!"

...okay not really. I just had to listen to it a couple times to figure out what she was actually saying... and not to gawk. Not at all.

-Clive

This is called charm.
And maybe you would gain from listening more people from other states and countries talking… Don't flame me, just kidding :D

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
groovebuster said:
Nobody is offended by a pretty model in an ad. The same applies to man who is making a jerk out of himself by being dressed with no real effort like a woman.

I wasn't offended at the ad after seeing it. However I still don't understand why it is funny :confused:

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
kwajo.com said:
I'm probably reading too much into it, but in 'Self Pity' when PC looks up, you see the reflection of blue in his glasses. Subliminal Blue Screen of Death anyone? ;)

I am also trying to figure that out out. it blue and then a little purple. Hard to tell.

Anyone have other good ideas on the reflection?

rkriheli

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
new york, ny
these ads are all genius. i am sure they spend a lot of time working on the script to not imply anything more than what is on the surface.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
all these adds do is perpetuate the sterotype of the arrogant mac user. it makes us look like a holes and the reason why it takes so long to undestand why it's funny is because their not. heres to apple buying icomic life and creatuing the adventures of mac and pc as a comic cast so that the "funny" never stops..

berkowit28

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
aaronon said:
Why don't they show these in the U.K?....and also the new nano ad ; it hasn't been aired in the U.K either.:(

It's been mentioned before that in the UK (or maybe European Union?) it's illegal to target a single competitor in advertising. I suppose it's a debatable point as to whether "PC" is targeting a single software competitor - Microsoft Windows - or generic hardware computers (Dell, HP, etc, etc). It must be that the lawyers have adcised against. (Then there's the fact that both Mac and PC speak with American accents, so the ads would have to re-shot with UK actors.)

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
I was just wondering -- -- did anyone notice in "self pity" how PC's glases reflected a distinc blue color (blue screen ayay!) when told about microsot office (...)... .. did anyone else notice this?

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
mufflon said:
I was just wondering -- -- did anyone notice in "self pity" how PC's glases reflected a distinc blue color (blue screen ayay!) when told about microsot office (...)... .. did anyone else notice this?
interesting coincidence but i think it was the anti reclective coation on his glasses. :D

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
MacsRgr8 said:
No.... Not even slightly
Original article ... meaning Office is probably the last piece of major used software that will get Universal.

MS Office 2007, which is due here in the next few months will be a universal binary. It's already in the beta testing stages and available to certain levels of MSDN subscribers. There has been a Windows beta version circulated on a more public level. I think most people are expecting February for the Windows release of Office 2007 and March/April for the Mac version.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
Pc is distracted by "blue light"

slackersonly said:
I am also trying to figure that out out. it blue and then a little purple. Hard to tell.

Anyone have other good ideas on the reflection?
i think he was gonna passout and was seeing the "light".
it's blue the entire time and when he falls you can see it too. maybe he had a heart attack:eek:
lol now he's depreciating :D

Pc_blue.jpg

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
No deep thoughts here...

Just a couple production value thoughts...
I have some experience in tv commercial production. It is a very interesting process. I can't help but think that the Gisele commercial was probably shot a variety of ways, with many takes. For some reason, maybe to seem somehow more exotic, they selected a version where she is just a bit hard to understand. I guarantee you that there were other, more understandable versions shot.

I also noticed that when Mac asks to see PC's movie, he is a bit hard to understand as well.

PC's expression after seeing Mac's movie is PRICELESS. In the closeup he does a little shudder/head shake that is pure comic genius.

One odd thing, when Gisele walks in, she sort of rotates a bit to the right, which causes SOMETHING (hair?) to appear at about elbow height on her left side. It looks a little weird, almost like a bit of wire. I would have edited it out.

Love the line "what's with the big boy clothes"

In Counselor, which I like, check out the counselors hand gestures, very odd, and pretty tricky choreography. The body language of Mac and PC are wonderfully done.

Done....

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
A friend of mine was about to buy a refurbished 17" or 20" Core Duo iMac (Yonah),
but first wanted to check with the "Mac Expert" (me, LOL) before she dropped the cash.
I directed her to the 20" Core 2 Duo instead (Merom), since it came with 1 GB RAM,
and would be more future-proof with 64-bit. And with the newly lowered price, a much better buy.

As I was helping her set it up - and giving her some tips, this life-long PC user told me:

"I have to admit that part of the reason I finally got a Mac was because of those ads.
I just love them!!
"

Needless to say, she is absolutely enthralled with her new iMac.

FWIW...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.