Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeisme09

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
gulf coast
[

Of course, getting OSX in the first place is expensive in itself. Thats a huge barrier for the average consumer. Spending an equilivient or more of a months rent or mortgage on a Mac to run a new OS ( Yes, there is the Mini too ).[/QUOTE]

yeah buy you obviously dont understand either. For most people to get vista they have to buy a whole new computer because of all of the upgrading you have to do, to run the os properly. the other day i was in the computer section looking at sony's at best buy. when i came across a laptop. on the sidebar wich is suppose to be like apples widgets. there was a computer usage moniter. This computer was at a stand still and the bar was at 50 percent used. when i opened something as simple as internet or calculator the bar would go to 70 or higher. so, coming to conclusion if someone wants to upgrade OS's they are better just switching to apple instead.:apple: :rolleyes:

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
wow in an interview gates said he hasn't seen the get a mac ad where pc undergoes surgery to get vista. BS!!! there's no way that he hasn't seen

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
I have to say this is the first genuinely funny ad in the series. Although it isn't unique to Vista - it's the pitfall of running a firewall. I have the same experience with NetBarrier, but I put up with it because I want to know when an app is trying to phone home.

...oh, and the firewall guy kicks ass.

If you have this problem on the Mac with NetBarrier your not protecting from a Virus on the Mac but you are protection yourself form the guys with dark glasses :D :D

shelterpaw

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
This is definitely my favorite (and possibly the most accurate) of these ads so far. I laughed out loud.

Great timing, minimal Justin.
I laughed out loud as well. I surprised myself.

There's been quite a bit of animosity from PC users because of these ads, and while we like them, the die-hard pc users hate them. :rolleyes:

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Jesus Christ

I just watched the ad, I did find it really funny, but I find the point of Apple making the ad to be really stupid. In the end it says something along the lines of why get Vista and have to upgrade your PC when you can just get an Apple.

1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone. The Macbook I want would be 3800 dollars. I could just build a new PC off Tiger Direct with better cards, processor, video card and everything for half the price of the Macbook.

2. It makes everyone think Vista is so great that you have to upgrade your computer for it to even handle it!.

In reality Vistas requirements are as follows

Windows Vista Ultimate
Recommended system requirements

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

I have a PC from 2002 and it meets all these requirements.

3. I actually rather know whats going on and have those pop ups being that I like knowing hey, my OS just blocked a lot of stuff from coming in, how do I know? It told me! And if it gets annoying, you don't have to turn it off, all you have to do is tell it to remember what things you do. Say you go on a site a lot, instead of always asking if want certain parts of the site to come thru all you have to do is tell it to remember the site!

I don't know, I like Macs a lot, but I have no beef with PCs, when I want to get my gaming done I rather be on a PC. But that's just me. It just seems to me that too many people are one sided on the issue. I like both.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
This was very funny! I agree, this is one of the best ones out there - in terms of general comedic value. I do wonder how close to reality it is? I'm sure some freedom was taken to make it funny just how much?

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
The time is right for an
IRON CAGE, WINNER TAKE ALL GRUDGE MATCH between Mr's Gates and Jobs!

Jobs comes out with numbchucks and a chainsaw. Gates is armed with some lovely Matisse and Chegall prints.

rahrens

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
People's Republic Of Maryland
woohoo!

Of course, getting OSX in the first place is expensive in itself. Thats a huge barrier for the average consumer. Spending an equilivient or more of a months rent or mortgage on a Mac to run a new OS ( Yes, there is the Mini too ).

Wow! Where can you find a mortgage for only $129? Or rent, either? Can I join?

I bought my MacBook for $1299. Yeah, that's as much as my mortgage's monthly payment. But I was able to finance it, too. I'll bet there are plenty of Dells that cost that much, too, and comparably equipped to that MacBook. Find another reason, bub. that one's been busted already.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
One word: http://www.aspergers.com

Is it just me, or is Bill Gates really inarticulate and clumsy in his speech? His sentences are the linguistic equivalents of zombies: mutilated, semi-coherent fragments stuck together with pieces missing that the editor had to insert with brackets afterwards. One wonders if his thoughts — and approach to software — are similarly cluttered.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
The best part is that Gate does not get it, he does not realize he is losing markest share because people are tired of a bad experience.

Then he tries to say that apple never invented anything, that my be true but I do not think they ever said they invent anything but innovated a better way.

Then he said he would challenge any hacker to get past Vista, I can see it now someone creates a hack the causes those warnings to coming up every second forcing someone to turn it all off.....

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
poor bill , he sounded really defensive in that interview .
like even he was scraping for reasons why vista is at all ahead of the game .

somethins not goin right when people are already asking in the first week of your release how your going it better next time .

Edwin the Elder

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I tend to agree

I think Apple should advertise it's OS instead of attacking windows. I really love these adds, but the averge PC user don't even understand them. Worst, Apple had a long lead before Vista came up to show people what OSX is all about. But now, I think, pc user will tend to upgrade instead of looking for alternatives.

I love the ads, but I sometime wonder whether they aren't meant to make Mac owners feel good than to make PC users switch to a Mac. Gates is right to a point; calling your prospective customers dumb by association (i.e., they're using a dumb OS) may not be very effective.

It would be interesting to see some analysis on whether the ads are responsible for any of the increased sales.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Honestly, this ad is great, but it still reads like (rich urban boy)David Vs. (working-middle class man)Goliath. I think in the long run this is a marketing mistake. There are better ways to get the obvious point across.

i keep reading similar posts. how would you guys go upon doing exactly this? why not create a 30 minute video and show it to us. then let us judge if you would push your point across.

rahrens

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
People's Republic Of Maryland
wait a minute...

1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone. The Macbook I want would be 3800 dollars. I could just build a new PC off Tiger Direct with better cards, processor, video card and everything for half the price of the Macbook.

Ok, you need to make sure you are quoting the right thing.

A MacBook from the Apple store, fully configured with all the upgrades (topped out memory, biggest HD, etc.) tops out at $2172.

You quoted $3800. Wrong. You priced a MacBook PRO, which comes to $3823. Again, topped out with 3 gigs of memory, 200 gig HD.

So you fudged the truth to make your post look better.

And how about a link so we can see exactly what you priced on Tiger Direct?

Plus, what you end up with doesn't run Mac OS X.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
1. PCs are wwwwwaaayyyy cheaper. Being that I am not the richest guy in the world I've actually been thinking about forgetting the idea of getting a Mac and buying a new PC for that fact alone.

That myth has been dead since the Intel transition.

This week, I'm getting a Macbook Pro, C2D 15.4". I just went to Dell's website (i.e. the el-cheapo of the PC world), and their equivalent notebook, one of the Precision lineup, is exactly the same price.

Except: the MBP has FW800 (essential for me); the Dell doesn't. The MBP has iSight and a remote; the Dell doesn't. The Dell is bigger and heavier and uglier. The MBP has a backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors. The MBP has accelerometers to protect the hard disk. The MBP has a magnetic power cord plug. The MBP comes with OS X (a huge, huge bonus). The MBP comes with iLife. The MBP can run Windows or Linux if absolutely necessary.

Who in their right mind would buy the Dell?

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
3. I actually rather know whats going on and have those pop ups being that I like knowing hey, my OS just blocked a lot of stuff from coming in, how do I know? It told me! And if it gets annoying, you don't have to turn it off, all you have to do is tell it to remember what things you do. Say you go on a site a lot, instead of always asking if want certain parts of the site to come thru all you have to do is tell it to remember the site!

I don't know, I like Macs a lot, but I have no beef with PCs, when I want to get my gaming done I rather be on a PC. But that's just me. It just seems to me that too many people are one sided on the issue. I like both.

I am too lazy to argue points 1 & 2, I'm sure somebody else will. My beef is with 3. You actually want a notification for changing say your display properties? It's like asking permission to wipe your own a**!

A lot of people in this thread think that UAC is a firewall, when it isn't. It's MSFT's attempt at Authentication (see Mac OS X). It doesn't simply remember what you did last time, it will always prompt you unless you turn the entire thing off.

EDIT: beaten to the punch in regards to point 1.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
In reality Vistas requirements are as follows

Windows Vista Ultimate
Recommended system requirements

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

I have a PC from 2002 and it meets all these requirements.

However, in actual reality, those requirements don't work. Go into a Best Buy and play with the Vista comptuers - I did. All of the computers I played with worked with Vista very well - until I went into the 500-800 (CAD) range desktops: they were all running Vista Home Basic (without the fancy graphics etc). So I would doubt your 2002 PC can run Vista with Aero enabled, unless you've upgraded your video card and RAM in the past couple of years - or unless your PC was a 5000 dollar machine when you bought it.

bayportbob

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
somewhere under the rainbow.
I just saw a new Get a Mac ad while watching Two and a Half Men on CBS.

In the ad, PC has a security guard dressed in a black suit with a headset. Everytime either Mac or PC says something, the guard will say "PC, Mac has a question (etc.), allow or deny?". This goes on until the whole commercial until the PC states "I can turn it off but that would defeat the purpose..." and the guard goes "You have come to a sad realization, accept or deny?"

:apple:

i saw the ad also. i told my wife that the commercial was great and right on the mark. also the one about the hardware upgrade spot. :cool:

i spent a day last week getting a work lab machine up for app testing on the released vista and i felt like the commercials hit it right. :apple:

gates should not think that i am a dullard, i'm not. :eek: i can see the trees that he seems to be missing. :rolleyes: i read that article that he was quoted from and the man probably runs a mac at home or someone gave him a state of the art workstation with maxed out ram and new graphics card and then defeats all of the vista security on his computer so he can get some work done without all of the interruptions that pop up.

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.