Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
If this were to happen (look's very good)
But would they really update the iMac before the PM :confused:

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
topgunn said:
My guess on the updated iMacs:

Updated this week or next week at the latest
1.6->1.8GHz
1.8->2.0GHz
256MB->512MB
4x Superdrive->8x
FX5200->Radeon 9600
Bluetooth 2.0

i reckon that is all right except for the GPU. iMacs have had Nvidia in them for a while so i reckon that would stay. But i really hope it becomes atleast decent. But i reckon otherwise good guess.

I heard somewhere...oh yeah at macbidouille they said that the Powermacs have a special that runs until the 28th....assume what u like. so i reckon that we could see those next week....then in two or three weeks iMacs.

Peace
DjVoTeZ

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Right now, the iMac line is seriously overpriced. Either Apple needs to do a refresh with better specs or drop prices by at least $200 across the board.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Lacero said:
Right now, the iMac line is seriously overpriced. Either Apple needs to do a refresh with better specs or drop prices by at least $200 across the board.

I would like a price drop on all the machines from apple :rolleyes:
As you said the iMac's are overpriced but look at the PowerBooks then :eek:

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Dont Hurt Me said:
Anyone think they will keep going on and on with the fx5200? Sure would like to see a 9600 ,9700. I bet its 128mb Fx5200 or a 6200 at 64mb or perhaps 128. Apple has gotten STINGY with its GPUs in everything but the powerbooks. Example my new Mini 1.42 struggles with Nanosaur2 while my Quicksilver 1.47 and Geforce3 make it shine. This is what im interested in, the 2.0 G5 bump is nice but the video is what needs help. I think they are concerned about putting everything on the motherboard hence bottom tier video as 9200,5200,7500,etc. Its easy and cheap, compact and low heat. I wonder if the Medium grade GPU's will ever make it into any Macs other then the Power series? iMac 2.0 G5 & (insert modern video) would make for 1 heck of a consumer computer.

Full Ack. Give us some better GPUs, PLEASE!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´m holding out for an Imac. Buying one when they upgrade the videocard. Can´t afford a PM at the moment (not sure if I really need one either).
Not in a hurry though, but before spring would be nice.
(Next week even better)

rsamo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
topgunn said:
My guess on the updated iMacs:

Updated this week or next week at the latest
1.6->1.8GHz
1.8->2.0GHz
256MB->512MB
4x Superdrive->8x
FX5200->Radeon 9600
Bluetooth 2.0

I hope you're right top gun. This would make a 20 inch purchase definite as soon as Tiger comes out.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
do you think we will see a design change?? i hope so, i like the old ones better.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
No there will be no design changes. The new one is the new form, until the next model comes out.

Plus the old one looks like a lamp, blech!

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
The Black Rock:

PCI-E is going to replace both PCI and AGP. It offers more bandwidth, allows more than one high-speed graphics card, and does a much better job of reading from the video card.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
ddtlm said:
The Black Rock:

PCI-E is going to replace both PCI and AGP. It offers more bandwidth, allows more than one high-speed graphics card, and does a much better job of reading from the video card.

Thanks for the response, I've heard about the addition of PCI-E in the PMs and I wasn't sure what to make of it.

So what's the feasability of putting one of these in the iMac G5? Good, or no? I hope they try anything and everythig for a better GPU.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
The Black Rock said:
Thanks for the response, I've heard about the addition of PCI-E in the PMs and I wasn't sure what to make of it.

So what's the feasability of putting one of these in the iMac G5? Good, or no? I hope they try anything and everythig for a better GPU.

I highly highly doubt PCIe will make it into the next iMac rev, whenever that may be. We're still speculating about whether or not the powermacs will get it.

What I don't get is why apple, in general, seems to be behind in video cards. OS X uses the GPU to a much greater extent that windows, and a better video card will create better OS performance, so you'd think that Apple would want to be putting the best GPUs into their systems. instead we find that even in their pro systems you have an incredibly outdated card. Weird.

EDIT: not only an outdated card, but becoming outdated hardware to run that card

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
vtprinz:

Same reason as its always been: Apple is smaller than the PC market and has a lot fewer development resources.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
i can simply never believe that would put a better video card in the consumer imac than they would the professional powermacs, imagine buying a dual 2ghz with a 5200 but imac having a 9600 in it,

the graphics card in the powermacs is a disgrace

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2005
We just want an option to upgrade our vid cards!!! Is it too much to ask for? Come on apple, i am still waiting!!! :cool: Or i'll be forced to buy a retched PC! JK :p

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
AL-FAMOUS said:
i can simply never believe that would put a better video card in the consumer imac than they would the professional powermacs, imagine buying a dual 2ghz with a 5200 but imac having a 9600 in it,

the graphics card in the powermacs is a disgrace

But don't the Power Mac consumers always have the option of choosing a different GPU? iMac buyers on the other hand are stuck with whatever they fuse to the board. So they'd better fuse something bloody amazing!

Besides the Power Mac users are more likely to upgrade their systems, and open their machines for user installable goodies. This is why I think the Power Macs should come with the absolute base RAM, HD, and GPU. "Pro Users" will do what's necessary, and not just settle for what they're given.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Two changes to iMacs in the Apple Store. One, refurbished 20" iMacs are now $1649 from $1699. Two, estimated shipping time is now 1-3 days down from 3-5 days. Maybe early next week?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
vtprinz said:
I highly highly doubt PCIe will make it into the next iMac rev, whenever that may be. We're still speculating about whether or not the powermacs will get it.

What I don't get is why apple, in general, seems to be behind in video cards. OS X uses the GPU to a much greater extent that windows, and a better video card will create better OS performance, so you'd think that Apple would want to be putting the best GPUs into their systems. instead we find that even in their pro systems you have an incredibly outdated card. Weird.

EDIT: not only an outdated card, but becoming outdated hardware to run that card

I agree, as PCIE might require a new PCI Express capable chipset (currently iMac's use the U3 Lite+ Shasta IC)

the dr

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
London
False alarm?

All the UK waiting times have returned to 24hrs (other than those products recently released). No new iMacs after all?

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
the dr said:
All the UK waiting times have returned to 24hrs (other than those products recently released). No new iMacs after all?

I just checked the US site; "Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days". But if you have it in the cart (like I do), it still says "Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days" as it has since this whole speculation thing began.

I should add that the one in my cart is

iMac G5 20" 1.8GHz SuperDrive
Part Number: Z096
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
256MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
AirPort Extreme Card
Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
Accessory kit
Power Supply
None - Bluetooth Module
160GB Serial ATA drive​

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
The Black Rock said:
I just checked the US site; "Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days". But if you have it in the cart (like I do), it still says "Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days" as it has since this whole speculation thing began.

I should add that the one in my cart is

It is only 5-7 if you add or take anything away from the iMac. The base configurations says 1-3 days.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Why does it say 'BT module etc.,' then 'none - BT module' a few lines later?

BTW, I'm with the majority here - once the iMac gets a decent GPU, I'll shell out. The 5200 in a close to $2000 computer just isn't tempting.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
jouster said:
Why does it say 'BT module etc.,' then 'none - BT module' a few lines later?
There are two options to get a bluetooth module built in. The first is the module itself for around $50. The other is a combo to get the wireless keyboard and mouse with the adapter for around $100. He got the latter and it says none for the former.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I don't think the iMac upgrade needs to wait for a PowerMac upgrade because the iMac isn't targeted at the same audience as the PowerMac, there are some people who are in the market for both, but mostly the iMac is targeted at mass market consumers with average needs, and the PowerMac is targeted at professionals who often have special needs and sometimes require customizability and upgradability. If a PowerMac buyer decides that he doesn't need a fast graphics card, he shouldn't mind that the iMac can play games better, if he does he can always get a better card and also 2.77 times more CPU power (theoretically) if that is what he wants.

I think that the iMac was introduced with the fastest G5 CPUs that could be comfortably cooled in the smaller case and/or the fastest G5 CPUs that were available in high enough numbers from IBM at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.