Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I think they'll name them:
iPhone 6 not that great (for the 4.7" version)
iPhone 6 way better pro version (for the 5.5")

That way they alienate all the customers purchasing the 4.7".

Most people will be happy with the 4.7", even if it doesn't have the best specs. At least once they know you have to pay an additional $100 for those marginally improved specs. Don't sweat it.:cool:

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Most people will be happy with the 4.7", even if it doesn't have the best specs. At least once they know you have to pay an additional $100 for those marginally improved specs. Don't sweat it.:cool:
There will be no difference in specs. In no way would that make sense. It goes 100% in the opposite direction in fact, especially considering the iPad Air and iPad mini with retina have one difference: screen size.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
People pay less for the retina iPad mini and the specs are almost identical to the iPad Air.

Yes, but the screen size difference is a little more significant. If you were Apple, what would you do to convince people to pay an additional $100 for the 5.5" iPhone. If the larger body can accommodate improved specs, why not use that to entice potential customers. Most people buying the 4.7" iPhone won't care that for $100 more you can get marginally improved specs on a larger iPhone. For them, size will matter much more than that.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Yes, but the screen size difference is a little more significant. If you were Apple, what would you do to convince people to pay an additional $100 for the 5.5" iPhone. If the larger body can accommodate improved specs, why not use that to entice potential customers. Most people buying the 4.7" iPhone won't care that for $100 more you can get marginally improved specs on a larger iPhone. For them, size will matter much more than that.
If you were Apple what would you do to convince people to pay $100 more for more ram? Oh yeah, absolutely nothing.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
There will be no difference in specs. In no way would that make sense. It goes 100% in the opposite direction in fact, especially considering the iPad Air and iPad mini with retina have one difference: screen size.

Well, anyway, I have a feeling the larger iPhone won't be released until next year, so it probably won't be an issue (for a small number of people) until then.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I'm highly skeptical that Apple would make such a retarded design choice.

Let alone 2 un-Apple like decisions (thick, off colored antenna bands)...

It's not finished, there isn't an iPhone logo. If the Apple is liquid metal, why not the strips?

Not quite sure why the move to this either, seems like no real function on having a cutout.

And can't believe they still haven't come up with a sleek antenna solution. I'd be at a loss for words if these are indeed the design decisions.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Let alone 2 un-Apple like decisions (thick, off colored antenna bands)...

Not quite sure why the move to this either, seems like no real function on having a cutout.

And can't believe they still haven't come up with a sleek antenna solution. I'd be at a loss for words if these are indeed the design decisions.

There is a 99.9% chance the cutout Apple logo has to do with some signal passing through it. They do this on the iPad already, but they have used plastic for that cutout I believe. Liquidmetal may be better for this functionality though; it's definitely better for scratch resistance compared to plastic.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
If the general consensus on MacRumors is any indication, I don't think the iPhone Pro 5.5" is going to do very well.

For the 5.5" to sell well, it MUST have greater specs than the 4.7" iPhone in practically every way (INCLUDING the resolution of the screen). Up until now, all the leaks have pointed towards a 4.7" and a 5.5" with the exact same resolution. Lame. Who wants a bigger screen without more pixels? Anybody? ... *crickets*... That's what I thought.

These might be the craziest iPhone rumors so far...

JT24

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
How is everyone liking the new iPhone 6 design? I'm hoping this isn't what it looks like, so far I'm not a fan. I think the 5/5S look better, than these leaks.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Liquidmetal is radio frequency transparent. Lends credence to NFC rumours?

Yeah, and if that is Liquidmetal I bet the strips will be filled with liquid metal before it is finalized.

Antenna strips Liquidmetal for radio signals and the Apple logo Liquidmetal for NFC, wifi, etc.

I mean look at the strips it looks like they would be so much fun to pull out and pour Liquidmetal into... Haha

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Liquidmetal is radio frequency transparent. Lends credence to NFC rumours?

around 4 years ago it was claimed that Apple was researching Liquid metal for use in antennas also. So the logo could actually BE the NFC antenna which would of course be amazing in terms of reliability of tap to pay systems since the antenna is actually external to the phone

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
Please, go on about how you managed to scratch the sapphire on the 5s...unless of courses you think that for some reason Apple will be downgrading the lens material on their new devices :rolleyes:

Sapphire can be scratched and nicked. Depends what ya drag across or hit it with. I wouldn't of thought Apple would do a Protruding lens till the iPod was brought up. I didn't know they had one on there.

----------

Yeah, and if that is Liquidmetal I bet the strips will be filled with liquid metal before it is finalized.

Antenna strips Liquidmetal for radio signals and the Apple logo Liquidmetal for NFC, wifi, etc.

I mean look at the strips it looks like they would be so much fun to pull out and pour Liquidmetal into... Haha

That would be cool, would look a lot nicer.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Sapphire can be scratched and nicked. Depends what ya drag across or hit it with. I wouldn't of thought Apple would do a Protruding lens till the iPod was brought up. I didn't know they had one on there.

----------

That would be cool, would look a lot nicer.

As I said in a previous post, 99.9% of the iPhone 6 lenses will never be scratched, because it is that unlikely that someone will have a material hard enough to do so, especially hitting that tiny surface.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
The plastic bands are ridiculously hideous. I can't imagine the designers at Apple looked at that and thought it was OK.

It's like Pontiac Aztec ugly. Convertible Murano ugly.

I'm hoping that they will paint and color them to match the case.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
around 4 years ago it was claimed that Apple was researching Liquid metal for use in antennas also. So the logo could actually BE the NFC antenna which would of course be amazing in terms of reliability of tap to pay systems since the antenna is actually external to the phone

On top of that fact they just recently extended their exclusive license to the material until feb. 2015 I believe it was. Why extend if you aren't using or have plans to use it?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
What's your point? The HTC One based it's design off the iPhone 5 anyways. That's like faulting a new MBP for looking like one of the dozens of ripoff deigns like the HP envy.

I don't like to argue about these things (and I'm not sure what the original poster's point was), but just wanna point out there's no way the One's design was "based on" the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 was introduced in late 2012, and the One in Feb. 2013. If anything, the One is more reminiscent of various prior HTC models than anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.