Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Look up the 2012 iPod Touch. Tell me Steve didn't know that device's design before he died. Please tell me that.

Look up sarcasm. I'm mocking people who freak out about this crap, insinuated in the post I was quoting.

In reality, I don't mind it one bit. :)

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
The question is was there a technical reason for this or did Apple do it to create some artificial differentiation to get people to buy an Air instead (they see the two devices side by side and notice the more vibrant color with the Air)? If it's the latter then I guess it's possible they'll do something similar with the iPhone. But that would be a shame, IMO.

No I wasn't arguing against your point, just felt I should mention that. I don't think they did anything to differentiate them artificially.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Apple better not be pulling a iPod touch and doing that **** to my camera. I will not stand for this bull ****!! Yeah I'm one of the people that one the phone super thin but the whole phone must fit in to the phone. So make it a bit thicker and fit all that **** inside of the phone! If the phone doesn't sit flat when placed down then something aint right!

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Apple better not be pulling a iPod touch and doing that **** to my camera. I will not stand for this bull ****!! Yeah I'm one of the people that one the phone super thin but the whole phone must fit in to the phone. So make it a bit thicker and fit all that **** inside of the phone! If the phone doesn't sit flat when placed down then something aint right!

The Galaxy S5 has a raised camera and no one really complains all the much. Did you even know?

----------

Look up sarcasm. I'm mocking people who freak out about this crap, insinuated in the post I was quoting.

You have to be careful with sarcasm on the internet... it's much harder to tell.

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I will wait till Sept 9 to be angry and judge the iPhone 6. And, on Sept 9, I will proclaim iPhone 6 is "OMG OMG OMG.. this is the best iPhone ever. Take my money!" and running around like a little boy first knowing the existence of Super Nintendo.

I rest my case.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Galaxy S5 has a raised camera and no one really complains all the much. Did you even know?
Galaxy S2 - S5 have raised camera on back. Same with galaxy Note. Samsung hasn't had any trouble selling those devices.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Fake.
Whoever is coming up with these "leaks" is trying to cash in one more time before September when we see the real iphone 6.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I think the Apple logo will be Liquidmetal for wifi/Bluetooth/NFC etc to pass through. I also believe the ugly bands will be pulled out and Liquidmetal will be poured in to replace them. I think they will be able to color the Liquidmetal and the bands will be invisible due to matching colors or they will look far better than they do. I also think the camera ring will be Liquidmetal to prevent possible scratches and chips due to it's protrusion.

----------

Sorry I totally missed it haha

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I think the Apple logo will be Liquidmetal for wifi/Bluetooth/NFC etc to pass through. I also believe the ugly bands will be pulled out and Liquidmetal will be poured in to replace them. I think they will be able to color the Liquidmetal and the bands will be invisible due to matching colors or they will look far better than they do. I also think the camera ring will be Liquidmetal to prevent possible scratches and chips due to it's protrusion.

----------

Sorry I totally missed it haha

I don't think Apple would invest time to color match the plastic bands that would eventually be pulled out. The leaks point that these "temporary" bands were color matched.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i think those seperate glass panels on the current iPhone 5 and 5S look by far worse than those lines seperating the back. never liked that look especially on the white silver one ... which i own lol

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I don't think Apple would invest time to color match the plastic bands that would eventually be pulled out. The leaks point that these "temporary" bands were color matched.

Color matched or simply in the way when it was colored? I don't know how they color the aluminum though, the process I mean.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

Early on I also thought Liquidmetal could be used for the antenna breaks, but someone pointed out that it would defeat the purpose of isolating the antennas since it conducts electricity and would short out the top and bottom cell antennas with the main body. Also, radio-transparent Liquidmetal is just a theory.

The Apple logo is too small to house an NFC antenna which needs a larger surface area. But Apple does have a patent to use the cell antennas for NFC : https://www.google.com/patents/US20140139380

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
5.5"?

Well, it is the iPhone that I always wanted. It's a shame that I'm just still a student.

Thank god I have 2 kidneys, maybe I should just sell one :)

Save your kidneys for the 6s cause you know that will really be the iPhone you've always wanted. But maybe keep one kidney cause by then the 7 will be right around the corner. XD

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Color matched or simply in the way when it was colored? I don't know how they color the aluminum though, the process I mean.

Well, plastic is dyed colors and I don't know why Apple would dye temporary plastic bands, seems like it would be an extra cost for something that would be replaced before the consumer sees it.

The bands that were leaked were color matched, like the white/gold models had white bands and the space grey one had black bands.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Early on I also thought Liquidmetal could be used for the antenna breaks, but someone pointed out that it would defeat the purpose of isolating the antennas since it conducts electricity and would short out the top and bottom cell antennas with the main body. Also, radio-transparent Liquidmetal is just a theory.

The Apple logo is too small to house an NFC antenna which needs a larger surface area. But Apple does have a patent to use the cell antennas for NFC : https://www.google.com/patents/US20140139380

Okay well if you're right you're right. The thing is Apple wouldn't cutout the Apple logo for aesthetic reasons, because it looks fine as it is. Also if this is legit then they definitely wouldn't use anything but Liquidmetal as a metal for it. Plus they said it's scratch resistant. I now these are all rumors though.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Here's the twist: They'll sell us the phone. Make it look pretty in photos and tell us about the new features which will make us forget the fact the camera produces a few mm.

Until you try using it lying flat on a table (which I do often) and it's shaking and rattling around. Then your only thought will be "I can't believe I just spent $700 on this"...

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Well, plastic is dyed colors and I don't know why Apple would dye temporary plastic bands, seems like it would be an extra cost for something that would be replaced before the consumer sees it.

The bands that were leaked were color matched, like the white/gold models had white bands and the space grey one had black bands.

Okay but those could have been fake or Apple could be doing controlled fake leaks to throw people off. After all the only way to confuse people as to the final design is to release a bunch of fakes so the real one is at least a possibility of several.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
You can't scratch an iPhone camera lens by any normal means, so you're 100% incorrect. It's pure sapphire, and only a few things can scratch it, none of which 99.9% of the iPhones lens will ever come in contact with.

Because no women wearing diamond rings have iPhones?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Everyone is getting a case which will make the camera flush so who cares of it's slightly coming out?

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Phones can only get so thing before the camera is too big. Perhaps we've hit the tipping point of thinness and this is the only option. It would definitely change the way the iphones look, as they've always been clean compared to other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.