Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
The iPad didn't just do it last year. Ever hear of the iPad with retina display, or the new iPad? It's 100% about marketing and what Apple believes will be the best marketing for the device. I'll let you guess why the iPad Air is called the iPad Air. Just kidding I'll tell you: they wanted to market the fact that it was much lighter and physically smaller in every dimension.

----------

I think it's a great idea to alienate everyone that wants the 4.7" by making the 5.5" better specs. Oh wait.

All I am saying is it is going to sound sillier and sillier when the number gets higher iPhone 7 iPhone 8 iPhone 9 iPhone 10?

Look at all the other product lines
iPad Mini
iPad Air
iPad Pro (rumored)

Apple is all about simplicity, so if you call that their marketing strategy then I suppose it is "100% Marketing"

Macs did it, iPods did it, iPads did it. Now leaves iPhone.

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
I initially thought that the logo cut-out suggested an antenna window. Then I did a little research, going through all the iFixit iPad teardowns. The first iPad had the WiFi antenna mounted behind the logo, but in every subsequent model the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas have been part of the speaker assembly, presumably utilising the case perforations/holes. That said, Apple's move to standardise logo cut-outs/inserts across the device range might mean there is some future purpose intended.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think the Apple logo will be Liquidmetal for wifi/Bluetooth/NFC etc to pass through. I also believe the ugly bands will be pulled out and Liquidmetal will be poured in to replace them. I think they will be able to color the Liquidmetal and the bands will be invisible due to matching colors or they will look far better than they do. I also think the camera ring will be Liquidmetal to prevent possible scratches and chips due to it's protrusion.

You do, do you? ;)

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Protruding lens!? Ugly white antennae lines!? *puts new iPhone 6 case on*

"Hey look, the lens is flush with the case and I can't see the white lines!"
*Finally shuts the ******* up*

On a side note...does anyone else wonder if that liquidmetal Apple logo could be used for wireless induction charging? Hmmmm....? Think about it.

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
the case I will keep my new iPhone 6 in will negate the protruding camera. In other words it will still lay flat, so it's not a deal breaker.

You heathen. Being one of the faithful, I will carry a drill with me and make shallow holes in every surface I intend to place my iPhone 6 on.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
You heathen. Being one of the faithful, I will carry a drill with me and make shallow holes in every surface I intend to place my iPhone 6 on.

Well played. Good stuff.

My main concern is the all aluminum back shell and the radio reception. I'm sure they have that figured out too.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
This is pure speculation but does anyone else think the Apple logo looks like it could have been a pool of Liquidmetal which a press with the Apple logo pushed down onto? It sorta looks like the surroundings are like they've been stamped by something, and it kinda looks like a burned looking outline mark of another Apple logo is around it.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.

It beggers belief, right? I can't see how they did this with the iPod and then thought it was such a good idea that they would continue this awful design compromise.

But don't worry, Apple will sell you a premium leather case to make the lens flush and cover the nasty antenna breaks.

EDIT: actually you know what, I think this might be design genius. If the phone is sat without a case on a flat surface, there's a good chance that the only parts touching the surface will be a scratch resilient plastic and the lens edge, leaving your aluminium back pristine. Design still looks like crap though.

Last edited:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Okay but those could have been fake or Apple could be doing controlled fake leaks to throw people off. After all the only way to confuse people as to the final design is to release a bunch of fakes so the real one is at least a possibility of several.

We've only seen one type of leak...

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
1.If the body gets too thin the camera lens has to protrude. The lens needs a certain distance based on the size of the sensor for the optics to work properly.

2. My guess is that the protruding lens ring is metal (steel) and Apple will play this up by offering magnetic attachment lenses that wrap around that ring. If that is true then both the 4.7" and 5.5" models will have that raised ring.

That to me just seems like something Apple would do, turn a disadvantage into an advantage.

3. Apple will sell nice leather/silicon cases for these phones which will make the ring flush with the case so the phones can lay flat. But they will have a big enough opening for the camera so you can use the add-on magnetic lenses.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
So, everyone is freaking about that camera.

Does anyone remember the mockups and cases that came out of the tapered iPhone merely weeks before the iPhone 5 was announced?

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
1.If the body gets too thin the camera lens has to protrude. The lens needs a certain distance based on the size of the sensor for the optics to work properly.

2. My guess is that the protruding lens ring is metal (steel) and Apple will play this up by offering magnetic attachment lenses that wrap around that ring. If that is true then both the 4.7" and 5.5" models will have that raised ring.

That to me just seems like something Apple would do, turn a disadvantage into an advantage.

3. Apple will sell nice leather/silicon cases for these phones which will make the ring flush with the case so the phones can lay flat. But they will have a big enough opening for the camera so you can use the add-on magnetic lenses.

Interesting idea here. Why would the magnetic ring have to be protruding from the back, though? Couldn't it just lie flush with the phone and still hold a strong enough magnetic pull to keep lenses attached?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Interesting idea here. Why would the magnetic ring have to be protruding from the back, though? Couldn't it just lie flush with the phone and still hold a strong enough magnetic pull to keep lenses attached?

How would it stay lined up without something inside it (protruding lens module) so it couldn't move around though?

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013

It would slide around more without the lenses wrapping around the ring
Actually the more I think about it, the more I think this isn't the final "ring" we wil see on the back. Apple received a patent for a bayonet style lens attachment back in April of this year.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/04/apple-receives-patent-for-interchangeable-iphone-camera-lenses/

So with that in mind, it's possbile the top of this ring is accurate but in the middle there would be cuts in it for bayonet attachment of the lenses.

Either way the lens has to protrude if the phone is thinner than previous designs or has a more complex optical system, like the inclusion of optical image stabilization.So whether magnets or a bayonet style mount, going flush isn't an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.