Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have a Quad 2.93GHz that has been running perfectly but today it has started stuttering. When I move the mouse, it will pause every few seconds, and then it will jump back. The same when typing, it will pause every few seconds.

I have removed my extra hard disks, put the original RAM back in, and even rebooted from the DVD, and it still happens.

kirreip

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Apparently this seems to be a known problem on the new nehalem mac pros... I have this as well and it has been discussed in some threads before. I guess we'll just have to wait for 10.5.7 (here is hope for tomorrow). When I boot in Windows (XP or Vista) it does not happen, which is another hint that it actually is software related.

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Is it an opitic mouse? Maybe something on the mouses opitic? Is it wireless? Do you have fresh batteries? Do other programs stutter? What about video playback?

Two different optical mice, same problem. Happens with the keyboard too.
Other stuff seems ok, video/audio playback.

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Apparently this seems to be a known problem on the new nehalem mac pros... I have this as well and it has been discussed in some threads before. I guess we'll just have to wait for 10.5.7 (here is hope for tomorrow). When I boot in Windows (XP or Vista) it does not happen, which is another hint that it actually is software related.

I'm sure I haven't had this before. I'll boot into Windows and see if it goes away.

Phil

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
I've heard and experienced the mouse cursor jumping around the screen from time to time in both Mac OS and in Boot Camp but since I changed my mouse I never got the problem. I never heard of anything similar happening with the keyboard.

SSH64

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Canada

I have the same problem here. I have apple wireless keyboard and mouse contacted applecare and they advised me to disconnected any USB device, and that have solved the problem of the keyboard and mouse stutter and disconnection. I used Kingston 8GB flash card and that causes the system to freeze, at one time I had to hard reboot the system. I think it is software since starting XP from boot camp doesn't have this at all.

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I've tried my Windows 7 drive and the mouse/keyboard are fine on it. Also when using screen sharing on my OS X drive from my MacBook there is no stuttering.
So it must be USB driver related. But it's really annoying. And it definitely wasn't this bad last week.

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
After some reading on the Apple Discussion forums it seems my problem is related to the 4870 card.
If I connect to my Dell LCD using a DVI cable I get stuttering on my mouse/keyboard. If I use a DVI-VGA adapter and connect with a VGA lead, everything is fine. I tried mutliple times with the same results every time.

All a bit strange, but at least I have a smooth mouse again. Hopefully 10.5.7 will bring a proper fix.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Interesting thread.

I bought a wireless MM yesterday and a Mini Display -> DVI adaptor (for my 4870 card). Connected both, then not long after experienced the stuttering.

I thought it was the mouse itself, but plugging in the wired MM it was exactly the same.

even after unplugging the extra display from the 4870 it's no better.

I am in the process of downloading 10.5.7. I hope that cures the problem as it's less than useable at the moment.

There is also quite a bit of lag on the cordless MM. Is this normal or part of the same problem?

EDIT UPDATE:10.5.7 did not help at all with the cordless mouse. Putting the wired MM back DID show an improvement (well, it's perfect now). The wireless mouse is working faultlessly on a MBP with noticeable lag either so the mouse is not faulty.

Maybe there were two problems. This last problem could be purely a BT issue. I wonder how the BT signal gets out of the Faraday cage of the MP.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
My mouse cursor decided to start stuttering and jumping today. Just like the description in the original post, it will pause momentarily and then jump to another random position on the screen.

I have a new Mac Pro with the wired Mighty Mouse plugged into the keyboard. I also have an Intuos 4 tablet connected directly to the Mac. Everything hardware and software wise has been running absolutely perfectly up until today. I brought the Mac out of sleep after I put the kids to bed and the cursor has been teleporting all evening. It's doing it on both monitors and I'm running an official Radeon 4870.

I've tried unplugging all USB devices, rebooting several times, deleting the system preferences file, everything I can possibly think of or Google. Thing is, it's also doing it with the cursor when I'm using the Wacom tablet. I've changed the settings to both pen and mouse mode, and it does it on both.

I'm really at an absolute loss what to do. Things are really totally unusable at the moment; there's no way I can get on with any work with it like this. Funny thing is, I booted into Windows 7 and everything's working fine....

I shall be on the phone to Apple first thing in the morning to get this sorted as I'm really quite annoyed at the moment.

:apple:

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Thing is, it's also doing it with the cursor when I'm using the Wacom tablet. I've changed the settings to both pen and mouse mode, and it does it on both.

It does it on my wacom too. It makes photoshop work impossible!

Like you, mine was working perfectly. I think for at least two weeks there was not a problem.

My problems arose when connecting the mini display to dvi adaptor and adding a wireless MM. Even though both have been removed the problem persists.

EDIT: After reading this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9282591#9282591 I tried turning on my second display.

It solved the problem 100%. Turn off the second display and it stutters again. I am using 2 x 22" Samsung displays.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I've had this problem for two months now.

Ironically the machine works perfectly in Windows.

Im going to phone up on the 1st June to see how they can help me.

I'd forgive Apple instantly and live with the issue if they give me a 2.66 octo :p

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Well from what I'm reading there seems to be some sort of bug with the Radeon 4870 and certain monitors connected via DVI. I'm running a pair of HP w2228h monitors both connected via DVI/MDP-DVI. I notice both you guys are also using the 4870, so I'm assuming that this really is the route of the problem.

Following my call to Apple technical support, it's been suggested I boot off the OS X install disc and try to fix it that way. However, I'm not going to all that effort if it's going to inevitably happen again due to my sodding GPU.

If a GTX 285 will fix the problem then that's great. I'll be back on the phone to Apple explaining the situation tomorrow. If they can't provide a fix for this bug then they can do something towards accepting my 4870 back in exchange for some Nvidia goodness.

EDIT: I just switched the second monitor off, and bang, no more stuttering mouse. Switch the monitor back on though and we're back to jumping all over the place. WTF? I can see me having a very interesting phone call with Apple tomorrow.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
With me it does it on the OS X install disk.

In any kind of OS X environment it does it.

I could have built a W7 PC for half the cost, and it would be quicker!

Grrrness

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
After an hour on the phone to a lovely young lady called Eileen at Apple, I have a solution!

I still have my first monitor connected via MDP - DVI, but I changed the second monitor over to a DVI - VGA connection and that has totally solved the problem. No more jumping or stuttering at all, and that's with both the Mighty Mouse and the Intuos.

I'd rather have both monitors connected via DVI, but this will do for the moment. Still, it's very strange and Apple or ATI want to be sorting this out asap.

Just need to stop iTunes from randomly crashing now and I'll be really happy.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
After an hour on the phone to a lovely young lady called Eileen at Apple, I have a solution!

I still have my first monitor connected via MDP - DVI, but I changed the second monitor over to a DVI - VGA connection and that has totally solved the problem. No more jumping or stuttering at all, and that's with both the Mighty Mouse and the Intuos.

I'd rather have both monitors connected via DVI, but this will do for the moment. Still, it's very strange and Apple or ATI want to be sorting this out asap.

Just need to stop iTunes from randomly crashing now and I'll be really happy.

I just swapped out the nVidia graphics card for the ATI Radeon 4870 in my 2008 8 Core Mac Pro (3,1) and connected my 23" Aluminum Display via DVI and my new 24" LED LCD via Mini DisplayPort. I am also experiencing the same stuttering in video. The stuttering occurs whether I am running Safari or Final Cut Pro, but seems to go away when just the 24" LED LCD is connected. This seems to be an issue with certain dual display configurations via the ATI Radeon graphics card. As I do not want to lose dual display, does anyone have a solution that does not involve losing a display? This seems a bit ridiculous for such an expensive graphics card. I've spoken with Apple, who (not surprisingly) is unaware of this issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Update

I ran my system in the latest build of Snow Leopard, not one problem. This issue seems directly effected by Leopard 10.5.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.