Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Ok just got my MP today, and the only issue is...

Every so often either the Mighty Mouse or a good old Intellimouse just stops.

YOu have yo stop and restart for it to start again :(

VERY annoying, but both work perfectly on my MBP! :(

Could it be the lack of 4870 Drivers?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
Is it wireless? My wired mice are working just fine. I tried the mighty mouse for about 20 minutes, then I switched it for my logitech MX310. I waited a couple days before installing LCC, but it hasn't given me any problems at all.

The only mouse problem I have is with a game called wwii online. It started after I did a security update. When I play as infantry, the mouse lags and vibrates a ridiculous amount. It takes about 15 swipes to turn 360 degrees. Yet if I use anything other than infantry, it works fine (mouse or joystick). It seems like it is only related to that program, but there may be a bug with OSX mouse drivers ATM that only appear in that 1 program. When I finally fork over a couple bucks to buy 2 more HDs I'll reinstall OSX and we'll see if the problem still exists.

Otherwise no noticeable problems.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Mine just started doing this too, but unplugging the mouse and re-plugging it works fine. In the end I settled on a bad (old) intellimouse and I just replaced it with a slightly newer (still old) intellimouse and it's been working fine for me.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Its not the mice (Brand new Might Mouse and a intellimouse).

They both work perfectly on my MBP, changing MP USB ports does nothing.

Its down to the MP :confused: :(

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Do you use IntelliPoint?
Do you have the time to try it on another user (create one if need be) to see if the problem is reproducible there?
Have you looked to see if there's any info in the logs?
Do you have it plugged into the keyboard or straight into the MP? If so, try alternatives to see if maybe it's a port on the keyboard or the Mac.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Do you use IntelliPoint? (Use it? If you mean software, no?)
Do you have the time to try it on another user (create one if need be) to see if the problem is reproducible there? (Hmm will do - its a reinstall anyway from the disk)
Have you looked to see if there's any info in the logs? (Nope)
Do you have it plugged into the keyboard or straight into the MP? If so, try alternatives to see if maybe it's a port on the keyboard or the Mac. Tried this already

Oh and it works perfectly in Windows 7 lol!

Ironic really :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
1) Of course, this won't effect the Mighty Mouse. But IntelliPoint can be found HERE.
2) Don't reinstall.. that's a waste of time unless there's actually a problem. Just create another user. If it breaks there, then it's a system wide problem. If not, it's relegated to your user and much easier to find and fix.
3) /Applications/Utilities/Console.app
4) Hrm..

A combo of 1 & 4 makes 2 more important, to see if it's just your user or system wide.

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
I just did a fresh install on another HD, and made a point not to install any updates and that game wwii online still displays the same mouse behavior. I know it isn't the program because it hasn't been updated. There must be something in the software that the new MacPros come with pre-installed. Good thing the only noticeable problem is in that 1 program.

Funny thing is though that it seemed to work on day 1, but no matter what it wont anymore. And I have tried a fresh install of it too.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
1) Of course, this won't effect the Mighty Mouse. But IntelliPoint can be found HERE.
2) Don't reinstall.. that's a waste of time unless there's actually a problem. Just create another user. If it breaks there, then it's a system wide problem. If not, it's relegated to your user and much easier to find and fix.
3) /Applications/Utilities/Console.app
4) Hrm..

A combo of 1 & 4 makes 2 more important, to see if it's just your user or system wide.

Shall try the new user thing tomorrow.

I haven't bothered with number one as the mouse has worked on my MBP and in the Mac Pro's bootcamp W7 environment perfectly.

Its down to OS X and i've submitted a ADC bug report.

Hopefully apple know what the issue is :/

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Ok...

Its not just the mouse.

Its the whole IO.

Music plays fine, video plays fine.

But be it moving the mouse or pressing down so a page scrolls, there is a *pause* every 10/15 seconds.

Ridiculously annoying. Going to try the 10.5.7 kexts and see whats what. Got nothing to loose!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Oh man whats up with Apple lately with all their issues.

15" mbp flickering screens hardware lockup freezes only hardboot to fix the issue.

Same with the 17" mbp, artifacts/line issue, now possibly 9600m gt card is underclocked on top of it already being underclocked already to fix those artifact/line issues, flickering screens, pulsating screens at 1-3 notches brightness, bluetooth issues, freezing as well.

Now its plagued on the mac pro desktops with mouse stuttering or not working, bluetooth I hear freeze issues, restarting issues, freezing issues that needs a hardboot to fix as well.. Jesus give us something that works 100%!!

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007

15" mbp flickering screens hardware lockup freezes only hardboot to fix the issue.

Same with the 17" mbp, artifacts/line issue, now possibly 9600m gt card is underclocked on top of it already being underclocked already to fix those artifact/line issues, flickering screens, pulsating screens at 1-3 notches brightness, bluetooth issues, freezing as well.

Now its plagued on the mac pro desktops with mouse stuttering or not working, bluetooth I hear freeze issues, restarting issues, freezing issues that needs a hardboot to fix as well.. Jesus give us something that works 100%!!

Im pretty convinced its something in the MPs keyboard/mouse/input device drivers that are causing it now.

I hope next week 10.5.7 comes out and fixes this otherwise I won't be happy!

ADC have a full report of the problem but its friday today so they are not back till monday.

Great a £2k machine and practically useless in the system I want it for.

Windows 7 works fine apart from some networking issues :/

I've shut it down until apple releases a fix, i'll use my trusty MBP!

Just for the info: It DOESN'T happen in the option system boot disk screen, hardware test or any bootcamp system.

It DOES happen when you boot from the restore DVD or from the system disk (IE the installed system)

shinchan72

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009

I have a 15" macbook pro with the 9600 with no flickering issues or any other for that matter

My wife has the 15" macbook pro prior to that with the 8600 with zero issues on year two now and I know that's the problem child video card but it goes to show that even that one isnt guaranteed to be bad

I've also got the 2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro with none of these mouse issues or stuttering / waking from sleep problems or anything else. Using the Mac keyboard with a Razer USB mouse and a Mac mighty bluetooth one

Also just got a Mac mini 2009 and it's worked perfect so far also

Again , not saying people aren't having the issues , but acting like the machines are "plagued" by looking at forums posts is a bit much

And we also have our 2nd Imac in the living room on year two now (the first gen aluminum ones) with zero problems and zero problems with the Imac before that

So Apple does indeed provide 100% working machines , just the majority of people who have those aren't here.

When in fact it's a good guess that more than 90% of folks who bought any of the 2009 Mac Pro's are working fine and have never heard of macrumors.com or visit forums unless they are having problems

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Snow Leopard installed and 6 months have passed since I gave apple ADC the bug...

aaaaand....

Its still here.

Im just astounded they can't fix this!

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I have had the same issue, although i don't have the 4870 and my issue is logitech based... Had to abandon my wireless desktop (logitech s530 for mac) as my keyboard was freezing/stuttering... changing mice (using my vx revolution instead of the mx600) worked for a while but it recently has come back:(. Running 10.6.1

but on the positive side, I really love the wired mac pro keyboard now that I've been using it instead of the logitech...

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Snow Leopard installed and 6 months have passed since I gave apple ADC the bug...

aaaaand....

Its still here.

Im just astounded they can't fix this!

Wanna know something funny?

The issue has been around since 2006.

I have had the same bt issues in my mp1.1 and in our studio is one 2.1 and one 3.1. They all have the bt issues with cordless mouses (logi,mighty) AND bt keyboards.
All the machines have corded mouses and keyboards nowadays.
Tiger,leo and snowleo. It doesnt matter.

In the corner there is a plastic bag having all the bt stuff in it.
Just as a reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.