Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TLmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
So are they trying to strive for portability vs performance? Forgive me if I'm way off here. I haven't watched any videos on it but it's "slower" compared to the rMBP, correct? And they took ports away? And something about a USB-C for charging?

I think I'm still going to go with the 13 rMBP but wanted others input (who might know more about the new one).

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I consider it a proof of concept mostly, showing that they can fit in a retina display and decent performance in an incredibly slim package. The features they made for the new MacBook (three color options, the butterfly keyboard, force touch, USB Type C) will eventually trickle down to the Air and Pro lines, I'd imagine.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
So are they trying to strive for portability vs performance? Forgive me if I'm way off here. I haven't watched any videos on it but it's "slower" compared to the rMBP, correct? And they took ports away? And something about a USB-C for charging?

I think I'm still going to go with the 13 rMBP but wanted others input (who might know more about the new one).

Slower, yes, but for some people it'll be fast enough. I use my rMBP to get work done, and I'll be perfectly fine using the new MacBook for that.

The USB-C port can do power, data, and display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.