Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
If this is true and there's no major revision to the 15" MBP, I am PISSED.

I've been using my PowerBook G4 for 7 years now and I'm going back to school in Fall. I want them to redesign that dinosaur already!!

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
FireWire anyone?
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but FireWire 400 and USB 2.0?
USB 2 would be possible, but as far as I know all Macs got FireWire 800 for a few years now. Why should this exact model be promoted with FireWire 400?!

Just my 2 cent
Where do you see FW 400 and USB 2.0? Look at the image again (on the original post).

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Wow, same res as a galaxy note. Well, that is before the galaxy note upgrade in October.

Looks real to me. Not a good sign at all.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
signbot.gif

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
FireWire anyone?
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but FireWire 400 and USB 2.0?
USB 2 would be possible, but as far as I know all Macs got FireWire 800 for a few years now. Why should this exact model be promoted with FireWire 400?!

Just my 2 cent

Promoted or downgraded.
I mean 400 is big and bulky compared to 800 which is compact.

Last edited:

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
yeah but its still a crappy PC windows machine hat will not be as stable or reliable as a MBP.. but I do agree that apple need to bump the specs a bit..

I find Windows 7 as stable as OSX, in fact for few months last year it given me less issues than the new Lion.

However, I do prefer mac laptop due to the superior touchpad and instant resume from sleep, so still holding hope for a higher resolution 13" mbp.

Sony Vaio's are not crappy. Windows 7 is pretty good too. Windows 8 however :eek: it doesn't feel like a good time to be considering a platform switch back to Windows.

Tell me about it. If you buy a Windows 7 machine after June 2nd this year you can upgrade to Windows 8 for $15. After using the Consumer preview for 2 months early this year, I'm not even going to wast that much on Windows 8.

I just cant go to PC os no matter how powerful the machine is.. been a designer for 13 years.. mac is in my blood and when i wana go exploring deep dark corners of the internet nothing but a mac is gona be reliable down there...lol

You could set up couple of virtual windows for those needs mate. ;)

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I think the comparisons to 2011 and this rumour are naive at best.

February 2011 wasn't even a spec bump, it added new technology in thunderbolt. This is well and truly a spec bump, nothing more and nothing else and using a screen resolution which is YEARS out of date while Windows manufacturers ease closer and closer to Apple. Hell most £999 laptops now have x1080 resolution.

Secondly, Apple didn't wait to release the Macbook Pro 2011 at a conference like WWDC. It's a pure and simple spec bump, what purpose does it serve to even wait for WWDC when it could have just been a silent update.

IF (and I don't think it is a 13" pro, more a 13" macbook) this is the 13" pro, then they need to do something pretty special because I can see a lot of wavering buyers forgetting Apple to jump onto the Asus Zenbook Prime which offers a huge resolution increase display, a dedicated GPU all in a ultrabook format.

It would be a god awful move for Apple to try hype this up at WWDC.

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
I think the comparisons to 2011 and this rumour are naive at best.

February 2011 wasn't even a spec bump, it added new technology in thunderbolt. This is well and truly a spec bump, nothing more and nothing else and using a screen resolution which is YEARS out of date while Windows manufacturers ease closer and closer to Apple. Hell most £999 laptops now have x1080 resolution.

Secondly, Apple didn't wait to release the Macbook Pro 2011 at a conference like WWDC. It's a pure and simple spec bump, what purpose does it serve to even wait for WWDC when it could have just been a silent update.

IF (and I don't think it is a 13" pro, more a 13" macbook) this is the 13" pro, then they need to do something pretty special because I can see a lot of wavering buyers forgetting Apple to jump onto the Asus Zenbook Prime which offers a huge resolution increase display, a dedicated GPU all in a ultrabook format.

It would be a god awful move for Apple to try hype this up at WWDC.
I'm waiting for the WWDC next week to make my decision. As much as I would like a MBP, the new Asus Zenbook Prime is pretty sweet and may be a better value and hard to pass up. We shall see soon enough...

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Great News!

This is welcome news. A Retina display on the Air would be unnecessary, use too much power, and be too expensive. The whole point of the Air is portability with decent performance and good battery life. We don't need or want
Retina on it!

If this is true, it's a great update by Apple. For those who wanted a redesign...why? There is no logic in this constant desire for "new form factors"...sometimes the existing design is elegant, useful, and efficient. Why change it?

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Doubling-down on secrecy didn't work for Apple after all. They should've considered doubling the resolution of their MBPs instead.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
i want a desktop replacement,

that means no superdrive to make space for 32gig of RAM and 2 SSD drives, ....one for system and one for streaming samples.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Unfortunately, this sounds very Apple-like, and quite a repeat of last year's expectations with the whole iPhone 4S/5 thing.

I am inclined to agree. However, I do hope the people at apple realise that our goodwill and product loyalty is not infinite, and they cannot continue teasing us with piecemeal upgrades indefinitely.

I was still okay with the 4s saga, since that was my first smartphone. When I see what the competition is doing to one-up one another, I feel Apple definitely needs to step up its game to ensure their hardware remains viable for the coming year. :(

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
This is welcome news. A Retina display on the Air would be unnecessary, use too much power, and be too expensive. The whole point of the Air is portability with decent performance and good battery life. We don't need or want
Retina on it!

If this is true, it's a great update by Apple. For those who wanted a redesign...why? There is no logic in this constant desire for "new form factors"...sometimes the existing design is elegant, useful, and efficient. Why change it?

The new Sharp IZGO displays which are in mass production do 13" displays which use 80% less power than the current Samsung retina displays. I doubt Battery would be such an issue.

You know what would be tragic (again assuming this rumour is true), when someone like HP is the first to introduce the retina display laptops, well and truly taking the thunder away from Apple's really innovative Ivybridge spec bump.

The 4S comparison is a bit meh. The iPhone operates on a tick-tock schedule. The Macbook Pro is stagnating and has been a tick each year. With retina displays in production, it was almost ripe for picking for Apple to do their 'tock' this year.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012

How else would I be able to differentiate myself from the mere "commoners" with their 2011 models?

I already have that problem with my iPhone 4S, don't want any more serious problems in my life.

giorfa

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
YES, for those business users who STILL use optical discs; too bad for the pissers and moaners!!

adding to the debate (which is real fun btw), out of curiosity what business needs dvd anymore? People buy HD movies online or download them "for free", even film editors upload pre-cuts and stuff online to share with co-workers, backups are done in the cloud or thru the more capable USB devices, small stuff are exchanged with the now super cheap usb keys (you don't burn a dvd for photos or music anymore).
Can you tell me when a dvd solution is better than any other solutions?
If you're really a nostalgic I'd rather go for tape cassettes (we can't make mix tapes anymore :( ).

And please act angry and offended by my post so the others have fun.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
If this is true and there's no major revision to the 15" MBP, I am PISSED.

I've been using my PowerBook G4 for 7 years now and I'm going back to school in Fall. I want them to redesign that dinosaur already!!

The unibody MacBook pro is hardly a dinosaur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.