Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trialcritic

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
I sure hope that MBPs come with Retina. This is both as a user and an investor. Without the new display, the new MBP is not enough for people to buy it. I would love to upgrade to it if it has the new display, will not do otherwise. Some people feel that even Retina display is not enough. One person said (as a joke), "This is not enough for the new MBP, I should be able to say, 'Jump' and it should". We need outstanding improvements in the new machine.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
It doesn't mean that's the only model. Duh!

Apple is sure to have multiple models of the 13.3 inch MacBook PRO.

In the past (and present) they've included different resolution screens for a slightly different price (didn't they even do that with anti-glare and glossy displays).

So even if you had this in your actual hands, there is no reason at all to believe that there isn't other models and configurations that are going to be available.

Actually, to believe that there isn't going to be other configurations would be kind of stupid.

Who knows? Maybe this is just the new $999 model!

Gary

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
I find it interesting that PC makers are looking more and more like a macbook pro with those exact specs.

I've looked at about 14 brands now of PC's - A good majority have slimmer laptops with a macbook pro/air look with 1080p screen res.

Yeah I also noticed that, especially with the HP Envy line and Asus' Zenbooks.. I also looked into purchasing those but the price difference is almost non-existent and I believe MBP is a better long term investment..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped.

Photoshopping isn't the only way to make a fake. You can download the fonts used by Apple and make your own sticker and put it on an old box and photograph that. Looks real, passes the 'shop test etc.

That said, I suspect the general idea where is correct. IF they put a Retina display in any of the MBP series it is possible it will be left out of the 13 inch model. That's a classic Apple move. Putting 7200RPM drives or an SSD in the 15/17 and not the 13, same game.

Hell a lot of folks think they should dump the 13 inch pro completely, up the storage, processors etc in the Air and just have that 13 inch as THE choice. If you want to go 'Pro' with the superdrive etc you go for the 15 inch. And if the pricing was right that might not be a bad plan.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
In this day and age, don't the people who want the ODD also want Blu-Ray support? How could Apple not support Blu-Ray if they keep the ODD?

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
You know... I wouldn't be surprised if this was an intentional leak by Apple to lessen the blow at WWDC.

Here is what I think will happen:

1. The image is real and that will be the spec for the new entry point 13" MBP at $999.
  2. The 13" MBP will have BTO options with 2nd HDD, SSD options and retina screen.
  3. The 15" MBP will get redesigned and sell for a premium with retina, removal of ODD, SSD as standard.

We shall see within one week...

In this day and age, don't the people who want the ODD also want Blu-Ray support? How could Apple not support Blu-Ray if they keep the ODD?
Too late for that... the "bag of hurt" will not be resurrected at this point...

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
If this leak is legit, I see lots of potential buyers abandoning the Mac ship in favor of a Win8 laptop. ...And myself buying a discounted current-gen.15" at the end of June.

=> I really hope this is fake.

slapple said:

Easily, BR drives are more expensive and barely anyone would benefit from its presence, so it is not worth the extra manufacturing cost. Despite this obvious fact, if Apple is intending to not to leave ODDs in the next-gen MacBooks, they might offer it as BTO option... Everybody would be happy.

Last edited:

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I agree that's why I'm waiting.

HP ENVY 15t-3200 Notebook PC

After you customize that to what the new MBP 15" will have it'll be about same price.

Yeah I also noticed that, especially with the HP Envy line and Asus' Zenbooks.. I also looked into purchasing those but the price difference is almost non-existent and I believe MBP is a better long term investment..

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
If this leak is legit, I see lots of potential buyers abandoning the Mac ship in favor of a Win8 laptop. ...And myself buying a discounted current-gen.15" at the end of June.

=> I really hope this is fake.

Yeah. Right.

Like this is the "only" Mac laptop that will be for sale after next week.

Aug 26, 2008
As pointed out by The Verge, if it's faked, the person who did it took the time to fake the barcode too. Scanning it brings up the number printed above it. That would be one elaborate fake.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
As pointed out by The Verge, if it's faked, the person who did it took the time to fake the barcode too. Scanning it brings up the number printed above it. That would be one elaborate fake.

That means nothing, you can download free barcode generation software and do that very thing if you so wish.

That said, I still think this is real, and I'm still happy with it.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Ya too much time invested on a fake for no benefit other than a "haha those idiots thinks it's real" but who knows.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
From earlier...

- It could be possible that the Retina Display is an *option* that you can spec out? I mean if it comes with a significant cost...then it's going to be an upgrade possibly.

- Maybe the 13" MBPro isn't going to receive the Retina and maybe only the 15" and 17" will since they are considered the more 'Pro' machines of the MBPro line-up and would benefit more from a Retina display.

- This could mark the beginning of the end of the line of the 13" MBPro and the 13" MBAir is going to be taking it's place. You'd have 11" and 13" MBAir and 15" and 17" MBpro.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
If this is true and there's no major revision to the 15" MBP, I am PISSED.

I've been using my PowerBook G4 for 7 years now and I'm going back to school in Fall. I want them to redesign that dinosaur already!!

I am amazed by the comments saying that this is fake...

It's ABSOLUTELY clear that this is the kind of MBP update Apple is able to come up with nowadays. No surprises here - Ivy Bridge + USB 3.0 and nothing else of relevance.

Just think about it: when was the last time you saw Apple REALLY over-delivering in terms of Mac updates? The G4 Cube perhaps?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I'm not kidding you HP ENVY 15t-3200 Notebook PC you can add 2 hard drives + mSSD to that notebook.

Edit:
nvm lol I was looking at a 17" earlier that can do that.

Just saying maybe the new macs will have that option too. Maybe not 2 HDD and mSSD but maybe a HDD and mSSD.

You know... I wouldn't be surprised if this was an intentional leak by Apple to lessen the blow at WWDC.

Here is what I think will happen:

1. The image is real and that will be the spec for the new entry point 13" MBP at $999.
  2. The 13" MBP will have BTO options with 2nd HDD, SSD options and retina screen.
  3. The 15" MBP will get redesigned and sell for a premium with retina, removal of ODD, SSD as standard.

We shall see within one week...

Too late for that... the "bag of hurt" will not be resurrected at this point...

Necrotique

macrumors member
May 30, 2012
Allahu Akbar, this is great news.

I don't understand the obsession of form over function. With any luck the 15" MBP will be the same, no pointless redesign.

Voted down just because of the (I hope) naivety of what you first said. Beyond offensive.

I think we can safely say the pictures fake, as some dude on page 3 showed us by creating his own one in 10 minutes...

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
I need an IPS screen. Resolution is almost irrelevant if the colors and tones shift drastically when I move my head by an inch. IPS non-retina > non-IPS retina.

I also need both HDD and SSD, but no DVD. I've modified my MBP to replace the superdrive with an SSD. An SSD alone is not enough to hold my dozen virtual machines and thousands of photos. Of course USB3 is very welcome, since there are no affordable thunderbolt drives, and because I also use several PCs at work.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Doesn't need to be photoshopped

I have this amazing technology called a magic word box or "printer" that allows me to excrete ink onto the surface of a sheet of paper so that it forms into the shapes of words.

I guess this is a pretty rare technology since so many of you think it has to be a photoshop to be a fake.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Wow...STILL 1280x800? Why is it they can put a higher-resolution screen into the 13" Air, but not the Pro?

Sorry, if this is true, BOO. Need to seriously start looking elsewhere for something.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Voted down just because of the (I hope) naivety of what you first said. Beyond offensive.

I think we can safely say the pictures fake, as some dude on page 3 showed us by creating his own one in 10 minutes...

Why is "Allahu Akbar" offensive? It just means "God is Great", it's a proclamation of praise and gratitude.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
I have this amazing technology called a magic word box or "printer" that allows me to excrete ink onto the surface of a sheet of paper so that it forms into the shapes of words.

I guess this is a pretty rare technology since so many of you think it has to be a photoshop to be a fake.

""Paper? You should get yourself an iPad son!""

I tried to say the same thing to some degree earlier, the jumping on the 'wow it's not photoshopped' bandwagon seems bizarre to me, do people do anything non-digital nowadays?

I'm just an old fashioned print based Graphic Designer! Oops me, Oops indeed!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think it’s possible that this will stick around as the low end model, but there will also be the new thinner models with retina displays for more money. They did a similar thing in 2008 when they released the unibody, they kept the base model white one on sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.