Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Because having to lift your arm to touch the screen during a 8-hour workday is ridiculous and potentially painful. THAT is actually a clumsy idea.
And there was a recent interview that said they made the decision 2-3 years ago that they looked at touch screens on laptops and decided that was not the way they wanted their laptops to evolve. Leave the touch screens on the ipads. Which is what I'm going to try - I love using Duet on my ipad with my work Windows machine, will be fun to try it with the new macbook pro.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
This is a dismal upgrade, the Radeon Pro 455 PER AMD has the exact same memory bandwidth and teraflop rating as the last gen R9 M370x, only going from 1.3TFlop to 1.8TFlop with the optional Radeon Pro 460, also the Skylake i7-6920HQ 2.9Ghz (3.8 turbo) CPU option is barely faster in real world than the last gen i7-4980HQ 2.8 (4ghz turbo) and in fact slower in raw compute power.. The only thing they added that if they didn't they would be idiotic is TB3, no 32GB ram option, no Kaby Lake. Nvidia would have been a way better choice.

Just for clarification the mid 2015 with the highest CPU the i7-4980HQ scores an average Passmark CPU scores of 10001, the best CPU option in the 2016 MBP the i7-6920HQ scores 8712.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
And yet they just released a new version of a computer Apple calls the MacBook PRO.
As I posted earlier. The name doesn't make it "Pro". It's a proof-of-concept produced in mass with interfaces mostly useless in the everyday situation for the next few years. This isn't professional. In fact it's the opposite. Now I can connect dual 5K screens. That's great. But if that's my primary scenario I don't buy a notebook. A notebook needs connectivity on the go. And that's USB 3 and SD Slot. Period. 2 USB C for the new tech aint a bad things, but being restricted to just that ends in bad usability.
...wasn't that THE argument for Apple stuffe a few years ago?

IMHO, Windows 10 is a great OS that, unfortunately, is still associated with the old good Windows mess... Give it a try, I am pretty sure you will like it.
My biggest problem with it is the way it handles audio devices. Once you have experienced Core Audio on OSX/macOS, ASIO is a real PITA.
It's not just audio... Win10 is still half baked. It uses a lot of Win7 tech behind the scene with a Windows 10 GUI controling it. Needless to say, once things are changed under the hood (on a lower level), the whole thing can react strange... at least that's my experience. If you have the knowledge to deal with that, Win10 can be a great OS. Just my 2 cents...

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
And here is the dilemma for most Apple owners. They love the OS. I know I do. But I'm just fed up with the hardware situation and pricing. I have made a Hackintosh and it's working good so far but I don't know whether to just cut my losses and make a go of learning to love Windows 10 so I can cut the cord with Apple once and for all.

Ugh. This just isn't how I wanted it to end.
[doublepost=1477603020][/doublepost]

I'm pretty sure that was on the cards / rumoured even before the event so that's not entirely a surprise - as disappointing as it is.

Yep!

This dilema is very odd as it is really just a computer. But when you think about it, it's really your whole life style.

I just opened an app by using cmd+spacebar and typing "caff" for Caffine. It took literally 3/4 seconds. I just replied to my mum's text standing up at my MBP. I have been previewing pictures and documents all day just by hitting the spacebar.

This is what I am worried about losing.

But £2349 for a laptop is just a spit in the face really. I have a 2008 MBP that desperately needs to be updated, and I was going to literally buy the new one today. But based on the price, I am a very hesitant and honestly have no idea what I should do.

I think I will ride this laptop out for another few weeks, at least until the end of the year and see how I feel then

Reactions: Stella

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
OT: To end the "Why is it so expensive in the UK?!" posts:
Your currency lost around 20% of its value compared to the USD within a year... The UK may be used to cheap imports thanks to the strong Pound. At least for now, those times are over:

Your current exchange rate is 1,2 and your VAT 20% means the USD store price divided by 1,2 to get the GBP price and add another 20% for the VAT. You end up with the same number. 1700USD notebook will cost about 1700GBP in the UK.

gbp-usdttsmt.png
I think we're aware of that, but it's just a shock when the base MBP for example goes from £999 to £1,449. Want the new touch bar? That starts at £1,749. The MBP that was £999 last year is still being sold by Apple but for £1,249; a 25% price increase to something which was already expensive when it was released last year (e.g. only 128gb storage), yet now has outdated tech compared to when it was released too. Other laptops are now much more appealing than they already were imo.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
And there was a recent interview that said they made the decision 2-3 years ago that they looked at touch screens on laptops and decided that was not the way they wanted their laptops to evolve. Leave the touch screens on the ipads. Which is what I'm going to try - I love using Duet on my ipad with my work Windows machine, will be fun to try it with the new macbook pro.
Touch screens on Windows machines work well for daily use, but it is because the trackpads on Windows machines don't work well; that's based on my experience with the Surface Book. IMHO, a Mac with a good trackpad does not need a touch screen.

A notebook needs connectivity on the go. And that's USB 3 and SD Slot. Period. 2 USB C for the new tech aint a bad things, but being restricted to just that ends in bad usability.

As much as I like SD cards, they are on the way out. Cards using higher throughput like XQD are likely the future, so its asking a lot for Apple to support a dying standard.
USB C would have been a killer move if Apple had only released the iPhone7 with a USB C connection. That would have made much more sense... a single cord for charging any Apple machine, USB C headphones that could also be plugged into any Apple machine, etc., etc. Sticking with the proprietary lightening connector was a mistake IMHO. At least they did not get rid of the headphone jack!!!!!! I already have a bunch of USB C stuff around for my Android phone, so this is perfect IMHO as I can take one cord when traveling to do everything (and continue to use my great standard jack headphones to boot).

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Why is the 27" retina iMac now £1749? When in John Lewis it's still £1449...WTF!
So Apple have jacked up all the UK prices as well on all the hardware. Mac mini has gone from £399 to £479, the better has gone to £679 from £569, £110 on currency flux, are you kidding?!?!?!

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
Touch screens on Windows machines work well for daily use, but it is because the trackpads on Windows machines don't work well; that's based on my experience with the Surface Book. IMHO, a Mac with a good trackpad does not need a touch screen.

The trackpad on my partner's Dell XPS 15 is in pretty much the same ballpark as my Mac... the radical difference just isn't there anymore on non-budget PCs.

Jaccoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I'm an avid Apple user, but I ditched the iPhone 8 years ago because I can't stand iTunes. So I wonder, does this new €2239 16Gb MBP have at least NFC to transfer files to my Android phone? Or do I need to use a USB dongle for that as well?

MicheleValenti

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Italy
I've taken a look at the Dutch ones and I almost fell off my chair. I think the absolute best move right now is to snap a maxed out 2015 15" rMBP from the Apple refurb section.
Ahah! My move will be to just change my Mid 2012 rMBP battery and pray it'll last 4 years more. If I'm gonna stay with macOS it'll be just for daily usage (-> the new MacBook might do), but if I'll look for power... Linux will do.

Reactions: otternonsense

jjmontiel82

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
I have an early 2011 MBP that Apple is fixing because of a QC issue with their GPUs. Whole motherboard and HD are being replaced. Which other computer manufacturer will please their customers by fixing an issue that began to happen 5 years after purchase? Apple does take care of their customer so I will stick with them.
That being said, the new MBPs are very pricey and it's hard to compare to 2011 specs. I know newer processors and other components are more efficient at processing the same workload but hard to justify spending 2500 USD.
Let's see how the repaired MBP runs compared to a new one after I pick it up from the store.
When are the Apple stores going to have the new MBPs on display?

wksj

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
I have an early 2011 MBP that Apple is fixing because of a QC issue with their GPUs. Whole motherboard and HD are being replaced. Which other computer manufacturer will please their customers by fixing an issue that began to happen 5 years after purchase? Apple does take care of their customer so I will stick with them.
That being said, the new MBPs are very pricey and it's hard to compare to 2011 specs. I know newer processors and other components are more efficient at processing the same workload but hard to justify spending 2500 USD.
Let's see how the repaired MBP runs compared to a new one after I pick it up from the store.
When are the Apple stores going to have the new MBPs on display?

It took Apple years and lawsuits before they started that repair program.

I suggest you go read the comments here: https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/2011-macbook-pro-repair-program-apple/

"Once again Apple demonstrates why they are the leader of the pack when it comes to taking care of their customers."

Replies:

"Umm, not a leader. A leader would have acknowledged the problem when the problem started to occur. They've waited too long and I assume many people have already ditched their failed systems and purchased new ones."

"Are you delusional? They denied it for years and only just now did it after being hit with multiple class action lawsuits. That's not first class service, it's a move to avoid getting a huge settlement thrown at them in court."

"Not at all. We've had 4-5 MBPs come down with this issue, it's cost us ~£600 every time. Think we'll see any of that back? Not a chance. They've denied it's been their problem for years. Where was the world class service then?"

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
I just opened an app by using cmd+spacebar and typing "caff" for Caffine. It took literally 3/4 seconds.
In Windows it's easier, no need to simultaneously press two keys - just the Windows key, and then type the first letters.

The truth is that today's consumer OSes are highly similar and most of the attachments people make to a platform, and consequently the vitriol they throw at the others, is nothing more than simple tribalism.

Usability wise I don't think OSX has anything significant over Windows. Actually it's a bit worse as far as I can tell, mostly due to the more primitive file manager.

The major point where OSX wins over Windows is security (although I'd rate it significantly worse than both Linux and OpenBSD), and the major point where it loses is application support and specifically gaming, worsened by the fact that no Mac is even a half decent gaming machine.

Reactions: MecPro

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
When the did iBook which started at £699, eMac at £549 and Macbook White or Black starting at £799 when intel came in.

I know so many students who bought eMacs and iBooks as their first Apple computer to go with their 3rd gen iPods.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Still only 256GB in the base 15". Really need this to be increased to 512GB as work will get the base model and that's it. Apple should realise that 256GB is not enough any more. Hope there is a refresh with 512GB in the base model in the next 6-12 months.

Reactions: alexandero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.