Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Okay, so I have an apple mouse and need another. Although the Apple Mouse I currently have is a super nice device and is so good that it almost acts like a wired mouse most of the time, I would like to wait for the 4.2 bluetooth version the article talks about, but I'm confused as to the release date.
I'm reading that it is in development and also that it will be released next month. I realize this is a rumor site, but anybody with a good gut feeling out there of when it will be available for sale?
I'm willing to wait, but not a year lol

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I've had it with the not-so-magic mouse.

I'm a CAD user and the first big disappointment was that my CAD program (Archicad) doesn't support the new mouse, so I can pan, or zoom, but not both, unless I hold down the ALT key. Progress?!
You cad program doesn't support..

-talk to them, they should fix it
I thought I'd solved the problem with MagicPrefs, which allowed me to configure the central click (Why on earth should we need a third-party program to enable a Mac product?)
There's no supported center click on a MM
So you don't need anything
But 2 problems remained: My finger wanders on the mouse and loses touch with the central zone. I need to stick a blob of something on it as a locator, like a band-aid, literally!
You may have a faulty mouse. Or arthritis but I hope it's the MM.
And more crucially, it has a mind of its own. If I let go of the mouse, the screen suddenly zooms in or out. Very disconcerting - and almost sick inducing.
Maybe disable double tap zooming? Before you throw up?
So the solution: I'm about to invest £34 in a wired mighty mouse. One that behaves itself, allows scroll and zoom, and doesn't even need to be fed weekly with batteries!
Good :) you should have done that on day one and sell the MM; you'd have a 30$ profit atleast.

But there's nothing wrong with the Mighty Mouse. It was just a poor choice to get one/ keep it.

Keith-Jaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
You cad program doesn't support..

-talk to them, they should fix it

Well, of course, and I have! Now I can just sit around and wait for the next release of the software. Graphisoft are famous for instituting 'wishes' after ten years or so.

But, doesn't it raise an interesting "chicken and egg" question? The product runs on a number of hardware platforms, and then Apple removes one of the compatible functions from its mouse. Whose responsibility is it to fix that?

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Theirs... The mouse is hardware you can switch. The functions of the hardware are the given. The software drives the hardware not the other way around. By this logic floppies should be in MacBooks..

The mouse it supported before the mm; is still supported.

Bottom line; backwards compatibility is optional, especially when you can fix it by buying a $10 3rd party mouse.

-not saying it doesn't suck; but Get past it and but a Logitech mx; will improve your workflow greatly (if supported by cad software)

Keith-Jaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Theirs... The mouse is hardware you can switch. The functions of the hardware are the given. The software drives the hardware not the other way around. By this logic floppies should be in MacBooks..

The mouse it supported before the mm; is still supported.

Bottom line; backwards compatibility is optional, especially when you can fix it by buying a $10 3rd party mouse.

-not saying it doesn't suck; but Get past it and but a Logitech mx; will improve your workflow greatly (if supported by cad software)

Thanks for your advice.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have received the 28-key LMP Bluetooth Keypad and an additional LMP 9061 linking bar. These are my first impressions:

- The keypad is plastic, but it looks good.
- The key label etching does not match Apple's exactly.
- The linkage seems sturdy enough to use on your lap with the keypad OR the trackpad, but not both. Linking both accessories with 2 bars for using on a desk is fine.
- The keyboard power pushing mechanism is cleverer than what comes without much thought to your mind. Must be a nice patent.
- The keypad matches well but is discretely thick, which means it can only be linked at the very right. If you add the trackpad, this will have to be between the keyboard and the keypad, unless you link the trackpad to the left of the keyboard. Obviously, you cannot link the keypad to the left of the keyboard, either.
- The linkage bars are plastic, which is better, so that they will not scratch the keyboard, the trackpad, or the keypad.
- I would like to see a linkage bar with a button to push power.

It is good enough for me, but there's room for an improved version.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I looked better and it seems the problem about linking the LMP keypad at the left is not that it is thick, but that LMP should offer also a mirror image linking bar, an easy solution.

Of course if you link that way you lose the power pushing trick, at least without removing what is at the right, but you would eventually need to remove something with the 3 things linked anyway if there are no button bars.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am looking forward to the new wireless keyboard with backlit keys. In regards to the battery life on my current keyboard, trackpad and noise, they all get great battery life and I am just using plain old alkaline batteries that I buy at Ikea. Keyboard and trackpad last about 6-8 months and the Magic Mouse roughly 3-4 months. In my opinion they are all getting great battery life. Of the three devices the mouse id the oldest, had it since 2011 when I bought it with my MacBook Pro. When I bought my iMac last year, the Apple Store switched out the Mouse that was in the iMac box for the trackpad since I already had a mouse.

ryanNL

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Hong kong
I already have magic keyboard, mouse, and trackpad.
I really like the trackpad, and keyboard.
it is really interesting if they make a butterfly keyboard.
for trackpad, I guess I will put on hold, since I am using linux for my desktop. I don't think nix community can release a driver for force touch as soon as the trackpad is out.
the mouse is a complete disaster to me. it is too slim to hold

Last edited:

ryanNL

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Hong kong
hopefully apple come up with some new tech for charging the device.
no cable please.
it is really stupid if it has to be hook up to a power source or keep in touch like a Sam___g phone

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I am looking forward to the new wireless keyboard with backlit keys. In regards to the battery life on my current keyboard, trackpad and noise, they all get great battery life and I am just using plain old alkaline batteries that I buy at Ikea. Keyboard and trackpad last about 6-8 months and the Magic Mouse roughly 3-4 months. In my opinion they are all getting great battery life. Of the three devices the mouse id the oldest, had it since 2011 when I bought it with my MacBook Pro. When I bought my iMac last year, the Apple Store switched out the Mouse that was in the iMac box for the trackpad since I already had a mouse.

My MM batteries last that long too - providing that is I rarely if ever use it. o_O I don't know anyone with the exception of yourself that claims long battery life for the MM. Indeed forums have been filled with complaints regarding poor battery life ever since the product was released.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
My MM batteries last that long too - providing that is I rarely if ever use it. o_O I don't know anyone with the exception of yourself that claims long battery life for the MM. Indeed forums have been filled with complaints regarding poor battery life ever since the product was released.

In regards to my MM, when I first got it I also bought the apple Rechargeable batteries and the batteries would only last about a 4-6 weeks. When the rechargeable would no longer hold a charge longer than 2-3 weeks I switched to your standard AA batteries from Duracell. They lasted a lot longer and over time I have tried other brands and the ones that last the longest for me are the ones I get from Ikea, with Duracell coming in a close second. Now your mileage may vary, but I was only stating that for me, this is what I am experiencing. I have been very happy with the MM and the wireless keyboard.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Where is the new keyboard?

If a new mouse and keyboard are forthcoming, I'd expect them to be announced in conjunction with the launch of 10.11, the Retina iMac, and anything else Apple has up its sleeve. In the past, this would have happened at an October media event. However, it's more likely that Apple will decide that these relatively minor updates don't warrant a special event, in which case they would simply make one or more announcements.

betazero

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
If they don't make the mouse shape related to my hand I will still be using my Logitech. Magic Mouse is only good if you don't use it as a mouse and use it like a trackpad... After 10 minutes of use it hurts my hand to try to hold and use the thing. Also I need a real wheel and button. Cant apple just make two types of mice? They need to go back to the Apple Mouse and split the buttons and give it a bigger ball or just a wheel ( also shape it like a logitech mouse but with Apple style )... or come up with something better... Oh and since it will have a battery I guess it will have a cord to charge? I hope that plugged in they just work as a USB keyboard and mouse and don't need Bluetooth. I have Bluetooth and WiFi disabled. Cords are still the way to go for most things.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Would like to see the inductive charging shown off in the AW applied to these devices too
I have the feeling that Apple is bent out of shape, because the rest of the smartphone universe is using wireless charging, thereby preventing Apple from pulling an Al Gore and claiming they invented it... :D

Or Not! If there's one thing I've observed is how hypocritical and unpredictable Apple can be.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
So this keyboard is coming out when....

I'm guessing it will ship with the new iMacs maybe? With the Magic Mouse 2 (which honestly has to support force touch somehow with all the marketing Apple has put behind that new feature between the watch, 3D Touch on the phone, the new trackpads on the MacBooks .. My stomach ... I mean ... What...? Lol)

Until then, I'll be deep clicking after I hit the scale lol :p

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Mighty Mouses are lovely, if you're prepared to buy a new one every few weeks...

Weird. How many have you had break? I've got two, both heavily used, both purchased used (so some unknown amount of hours before I got them), been used on the road to SF, DC, daily for 10+ hours, both still work great!

(BTW, I realize this is an old-er-ish post, just read this page when it got bumped due to the release of the new mouse/etc.)

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Weird. How many have you had break?
I went through two before giving up. To be fair to Apple we had a nightmare combination of two young children with sticky fingers and two overly hairy cats, but no amount of cleaning would get the ball to scroll smoothly. Took one apart and cleaned it 'properly', but that lasted all of a fortnight before fouling up again.

A shame, because it felt good in the hand at the time. Doubt I could use one now, having been using smaller/taller MS mobile mice since then.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I went through two before giving up. To be fair to Apple we had a nightmare combination of two young children with sticky fingers and two overly hairy cats, but no amount of cleaning would get the ball to scroll smoothly. Took one apart and cleaned it 'properly', but that lasted all of a fortnight before fouling up again.

A shame, because it felt good in the hand at the time. Doubt I could use one now, having been using smaller/taller MS mobile mice since then.

Holy smokes, when you said, Mighty I transposed that to Magic (given the thread title), so sorry, my good experience was with the Magic not the Mighty (I got a clue when you said 'ball') :D

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I found the Magic Mouse even more frustrating, to be honest. Loved the track/gesture stuff, but it was just so difficult to move. Regardless of surface, there was always too much 'grip' to overcome, making any small cursor movements impossible. Suspect I had a duff one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.