Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I like this app. I have been using it for about a week and a half and have gotten used to seeing a clean inbox. I love the ability to snooze emails if I don't want to look at them right now. Extremely useful. I never cared much for the label system for gmail but it would be nice if I could put them into certain folders instead of them all being archived together. This isn't a big deal to me but I am sure it will be to others.

I also wish they would hurry up and increase the storage so they can pull more of my emails into the app. Altogether I turned off the stock mail fetching and use this only.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like this app. I have been using it for about a week and a half and have gotten used to seeing a clean inbox. I love the ability to snooze emails if I don't want to look at them right now. Extremely useful. I never cared much for the label system for gmail but it would be nice if I could put them into certain folders instead of them all being archived together. This isn't a big deal to me but I am sure it will be to others.

I also wish they would hurry up and increase the storage so they can pull more of my emails into the app. Altogether I turned off the stock mail fetching and use this only.

You can create lists in the app. Go to settings, lists, and create as many lists as you'd like. Then, you can swipe all the way left on an email (past the snooze feature), and it'll bring up a list of your lists, then just tap the list you'd like to add the email to. You can access your lists by swiping right when you're on your mailbox. Only the lists you've stored emails in will appear, but they will appear under the tab "Lists."

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
You can create lists in the app. Go to settings, lists, and create as many lists as you'd like. Then, you can swipe all the way left on an email (past the snooze feature), and it'll bring up a list of your lists, then just tap the list you'd like to add the email to. You can access your lists by swiping right when you're on your mailbox. Only the lists you've stored emails in will appear, but they will appear under the tab "Lists."

Awesome! I didn't know you could do that. Very helpful. Thanks.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Well I finally got the app on Friday evening. Used it for the weekend. Went back to stock mail.app today. I don't see much use for the app, especially without labels.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
You can create lists, which I find incredibly useful. Create lists, and then swipe too add to your lists? Simple and easy.

It does have notifications (for new emails, as well as emails you've snoozed). Make sure you go into settings and have notifications enabled for mailbox.

And in the app settings (swipe right from your mailbox, all the way at the bottom go to settings), you can change what the badge count is for.

It Does have the app badge but it either shows total message count or a 1 for all messages.
It's just not worth the wait when the gmail app does 99% of this already

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
It Does have the app badge but it either shows total message count or a 1 for all messages.
It's just not worth the wait when the gmail app does 99% of this already

That is just not accurate. Its certainly possible someone uses it like 99% of gmail but then you are not really taking advantage of the app to begin with. The problem it is trying to solve is managing the GTD workflow that often results from emails. Not managing emails. Wont be true for everyone but the majority of tasks/to-dos start from or relate to an email. Labels, like folders, are an attempt at categorization which is why Mailbox discourages them. Its a bandaid on a problem that many people face including me.

Not one size fits all but the apps simple approach (yet powerful through its reminding/representing system) to managing emails and GTD has me hooked. I had over 1500 emails in my inbox. I committed to using this app as it was intended and not relying on folders and my to-do app. My workflow has improved dramatically and i cannot imagine using this app (or a similar one) from now on. I went as far as to run my other two email addresses and my corporate email through gmail.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
The app badge count confuses me. I don't care to see the inbox conversation count but I do want to see when I have new email, so I have it check marked to show '1' for new messages, but why does it show a '1' even when I send or reply to an email? I keep looking at display and thinking I have a new email but it's my sent email...

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I really want to love this app because it's so fantastically designed, but I just can't.

The biggest problem is that the list feature creates enormous fragmentation. When I was cleaning out my inbox, I was throwing a lot of emails into lists I was creating, as a way to organize the emails that I don't want in my inbox but don't want to delete. But for some reason, when I go into my Gmail via my computer or via the iOS Mail app, nothing is actually getting moved out of the folder. It still shows everything in my inbox, even though I moved it out via the Mailbox app. So my inbox looks entirely different in Mailbox than it does in Mail or through gmail.com.

I have no idea what's going on there. Are the servers just extremely slow at syncing or is something wrong?

Last edited:

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I really want to love this app because it's so fantastically designed, but I just can't.

The biggest problem is that the list feature creates enormous fragmentation. When I was cleaning out my inbox, I was throwing a lot of emails into lists I was creating, as a way to organize the emails that I don't want in my inbox but don't want to delete. But for some reason, when I go into my Gmail via my computer or via the iOS Mail app, nothing is actually getting moved out of the folder. It still shows everything in my inbox, even though I moved it out via the Mailbox app. So my inbox looks entirely different in Mailbox than it does in Mail or through gmail.com.

I have no idea what's going on there. Are the servers just extremely slow at syncing or is something wrong?

I think something may have gone wrong with either your account or your app or something because I don't have the issue that you mentioned..if I mark an email as read in Mailbox, it goes to the "All Mail" folder in GMail, instantly! Same goes for all of the other folders too..

----------

The app badge count confuses me. I don't care to see the inbox conversation count but I do want to see when I have new email, so I have it check marked to show '1' for new messages, but why does it show a '1' even when I send or reply to an email? I keep looking at display and thinking I have a new email but it's my sent email...

That's because you're supposed to either send it to the read box or delete it or mark it to read later, if you have a message in your inbox, then it will show that you have a message with the badge count..you're not supposed to collect emails in your inbox like with a normal mail app..

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I think something may have gone wrong with either your account or your app or something because I don't have the issue that you mentioned..if I mark an email as read in Mailbox, it goes to the "All Mail" folder in GMail, instantly! Same goes for all of the other folders too..

----------

I think it's just server issues because eventually things seemed to transfer over.

There still seem to be inconsistencies, though. For example, I brought my inbox down to 0, but then I checked my Gmail account via the Apple mail app and via gmail.com, and they still showed 19 messages in my inbox, which didn't even show in Mailbox. I tried deleting my Mailbox account and re-adding it and lo and behold, the 19 messages showed up.

That's problematic because it means that Mailbox is unreliable. I never know for sure if it's showing me everything it should be. I feel like even if I were to make it my go-to email client on my home screen, I'll still have to keep Apple mail on hand to continually double check it to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Also, when I deleted my account in Mailbox and re-added it, I realized that a lot of the folder sorting I had just done in Mailbox was deleted. What happened to all those emails I placed in lists? Were they deleted, added to the archive, or something else?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

It's because the point of the app is to reach "inbox zero." The app is pushing you to either archive, snooze, delete, or list each email you receieve. If you don't do any of the above, it sits in your inbox as a conversation, hence the '1' showing as the app badge. If you've already replied to it, just go ahead and swipe it to the right (to get the green arrow) to archive it.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
It's because the point of the app is to reach "inbox zero." The app is pushing you to either archive, snooze, delete, or list each email you receieve. If you don't do any of the above, it sits in your inbox as a conversation, hence the '1' showing as the app badge. If you've already replied to it, just go ahead and swipe it to the right (to get the green arrow) to archive it.
Thanks for the feedback. I do get and understand that however, it doesn't matter what I do and my inbox is at zero but even if I send a new email and then close the app, a '1' pops up on the app badge. Therefore, the next time I look at my phone I think I have a new message but I don't, it was mine and not an incoming new message in my inbox (which is empty)...

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Anyone else miss landscape mode, or am doing something wrong? :confused:
Mailbox is an ok app, not the end-all-be-all it seemed it was predicted to be. I will probably switch back in a few days.

Besides missing landscape I also miss easily switching my inbox to my work exchange server in the iOS default mail app.

I am sure for a number of folks this will be quite useful.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the feedback. I do get and understand that however, it doesn't matter what I do and my inbox is at zero but even if I send a new email and then close the app, a '1' pops up on the app badge. Therefore, the next time I look at my phone I think I have a new message but I don't, it was mine and not an incoming new message in my inbox (which is empty)...

You can change the app badge settings. Open mailbox, swipe right to access the menu, scroll down to app badge count, and pick a different option. I have selected the option to have a '1' shown when I have new messages. Sounds like you have the conversation option selected. I think you'll be happier selecting "show '1' for new mail."

Hope this helps

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The first thing I noticed was that it changes how your inbox works. So don't be surprised when you log in to your PC's mail app and find it completely empty (because . I still don't quite understand the company's instructions on how to sync mail with it, so I am resorting to search at the moment to retrieve older mail I need.

The next (almost annoying) thing is that it lists all saved versions of the same email I type! So I can be presented with 10+ versions of the same email in the results!

I am conflicted. I love the concept behind it, but I also dislike how it apparently wrecks havoc on all my other email clients, and there is currently no equivalent for the ipad and mac. :(

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
You can change the app badge settings. Open mailbox, swipe right to access the menu, scroll down to app badge count, and pick a different option. I have selected the option to have a '1' shown when I have new messages. Sounds like you have the conversation option selected. I think you'll be happier selecting "show '1' for new mail."

Hope this helps

No I don't have it set to to show conversation count, I have it set the same as you. Are you not experiencing the same issue that I am?

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
for those that have the app, how long did it take in days for your software to be up and running?

Have you had any problems?

I downloaded Gmail app while I wait. Just found this today, March 1. exciting.
so will this be better then Sparrow? I didn't get sparrow and didn't order because I heard it was going under.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
for those that have the app, how long did it take in days for your software to be up and running?

so will this be better then Sparrow? I didn't get sparrow and didn't order because I heard it was going under.

I had about 380,000 people in front of me when I registered. Took about 2.5 weeks to get in.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I've had the app for over two weeks now, and I have not experienced any issues with the app. The push notifications work just like they should. The app has never crashed on me (yet). Waiting the 2+ weeks in line was certainly worth it.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
I've had the app for over two weeks now, and I have not experienced any issues with the app. The push notifications work just like they should. The app has never crashed on me (yet). Waiting the 2+ weeks in line was certainly worth it.

do you feel unsafe giving them your email address? Why is this such a problem with folks.

i should have it then by March 15. Why does it take so long to get?

Boredathome

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Canada
Just got in today! I did some preliminary testing using a hotmail account to send myself emails. Seems on-par with the Gmail app in terms of notifications speed (almost instant). The swipe gestures are cool as well as the "later" feature. To me, it seems like its a keeper.

Have patience everyone, it's worth the wait!

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
Good to hear because the GMAIL app for iPad,.doesnt expand when pinched. Just stays the same so I deleted it.

Can you see if you can expand the memos on the new mail program .? Please

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.