Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Ok, so I currently use a iBook (1.33/768/60gb/10.3.9) and I'm looking to upgrade to an Intel of some sort so I can dual boot it between OSX for home and Windows for work.

But I notice the prices aren't too different between the MB 2.0 and the MBP 1.83 - about $300 AU if i were getting the Black MB, which I very well might just because I think the white keyboard on the grey (and, according to some threads I've seen: after two weeks, monkey piss yellow) looks ugly, and I'd be bumping the drive to 80gb anyway.

I get education discount on new items, but I assume there's no edu discount on refurbs?

I assume you can't order refurbs through brick-and-mortar stores, but only online?

At that kind of price it's almost worth it to me just for the bigger screen, but have they solved any of the issues in the refurbs? I think I know what the whine sounds like, my old Pentium 3 laptop does it, and I can live with that. Mooing, I don't know.

I'm not doing any graphics stuff on it, just multitrack audio recording in Protools, which has just gone universal.

A couple of other things - will my Palm still sync? I.e. will the Hotsync manager install and run under Rosetta? Or do I have to wait for a unibin version of that?

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
If you have no intention of doing anything graphically demanding go with the MB mainly for the size also make sure you up the RAM that is going to be essential running anything under Rosetta. 512 is simply not enough RAM for Rosetta.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
brendo91 said:
....after two weeks, monkey piss yellow

Good ol' Aussie subtlety. :D

In terms of a new MB or refurb'd MBP, I was thinking the same. I do a fair bit of video editing, so I'd be looking at the MBP for the expansion slot and extra resolution.. though I'd prefer a 13-inch package.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Yeah - planning on 2Gb of Kingston in either one.

Not doing anything graphically demanding, and by that I mean, no 3D. Flurry is as 'graphically demanding' as my needs get, usually.

I don't know if I'd like the size of the MB, I've not had a chance to see one in person yet so I don't know what they're really like, but we have about five 13.3" Asus laptops at work, and the form factor doesn't appeal to me, nor does the button-less latch, to be quite honest.

My work laptop is a big 15" Fujitsu monster... feels like a ton of bricks. So weight isn't an issue compared to that thing.

To put things into perspective, my iBook mostly works as a desktop replacement at the moment, but the MB or MBP would be taken out of the house and used in Windows at work at least 4 days a week.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Danksi said:
I'd be looking at the MBP for the expansion slot and extra resolution..

Yes... extra resolution is good, especially for me. I struggle to fit my PT sessions onscreen most of the time, and if I could maybe have two windows side by side, edit and mix... that would be great, indeed it would.

And expansion slot... yeah. Although not sure what exactly I'd use it for.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

though I'd prefer a 13-inch package.

I'm new here so I will leave the joke open for someone else to make...

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
I had the same questions as you really.

There is no education discount on the MBP refurb and they can only be purchased online.

I checked out the MacBooks in store and decided on the MacBook Pro. I'm glad I did... especially with the possibility of upgrading my LCD to 1920x1200 (hopefully my LCD will be here by friday!). If this upgrade works, there will be 100% no regrets going with the MBP. I ended up getting a non-refurb model at the Apple Store. It was a combination of not wanting to wait and realizing that it was only $200 more for a new one (with a 2ghz processor). I was also hoping a new one would be whine and heat free -- no luck there, but I fixed the heat myself.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
vv-tim said:
I had the same questions as you really.

There is no education discount on the MBP refurb and they can only be purchased online.

I checked out the MacBooks in store and decided on the MacBook Pro. I'm glad I did... especially with the possibility of upgrading my LCD to 1920x1200 (hopefully my LCD will be here by friday!). If this upgrade works, there will be 100% no regrets going with the MBP. I ended up getting a non-refurb model at the Apple Store. It was a combination of not wanting to wait and realizing that it was only $200 more for a new one (with a 2ghz processor). I was also hoping a new one would be whine and heat free -- no luck there, but I fixed the heat myself.

What? Can the internal screen on the MBP be upgraded to 1920x1200?:eek: :cool:

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
bbrosemer said:
I think he is talking about his external monitor.

No, I'm not. Read the thread a little bit lower on this page. A guy upgraded his powerbook (through some frankenbook work) to a 1920x1200 display.

I've ordered my 15.4" WUXGA screen and it should be here by the end of this weekend. I'll let you know how the upgrade goes (or doesn't!).

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
vv-tim said:
No, I'm not. Read the thread a little bit lower on this page. A guy upgraded his powerbook (through some frankenbook work) to a 1920x1200 display.

I've ordered my 15.4" WUXGA screen and it should be here by the end of this weekend. I'll let you know how the upgrade goes (or doesn't!).
O ok well good luck with that I hope it works out, I dont think you will be taking that to the apple store to be fixed after that... :)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
vv-tim said:

Did you order a magnifying glass with that? <rimshot>

You got to be ready to squirt you eyes a lot more ;)

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Pressure said:
Did you order a magnifying glass with that? <rimshot>

You got to be ready to squirt you eyes a lot more ;)

Haha... I'm 21 and have good eyesight for the time being.

I got the same comments about my 1920x1200 17" screen. I'm sure I'll like this one even better :)

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
brendo91 said:
Ok, so I currently use a iBook (1.33/768/60gb/10.3.9) and I'm looking to upgrade to an Intel of some sort so I can dual boot it between OSX for home and Windows for work.

But I notice the prices aren't too different between the MB 2.0 and the MBP 1.83 - about $300 AU if i were getting the Black MB, which I very well might just because I think the white keyboard on the grey (and, according to some threads I've seen: after two weeks, monkey piss yellow) looks ugly, and I'd be bumping the drive to 80gb anyway.

I get education discount on new items, but I assume there's no edu discount on refurbs?

I assume you can't order refurbs through brick-and-mortar stores, but only online?

At that kind of price it's almost worth it to me just for the bigger screen, but have they solved any of the issues in the refurbs? I think I know what the whine sounds like, my old Pentium 3 laptop does it, and I can live with that. Mooing, I don't know.

I'm not doing any graphics stuff on it, just multitrack audio recording in Protools, which has just gone universal.

A couple of other things - will my Palm still sync? I.e. will the Hotsync manager install and run under Rosetta? Or do I have to wait for a unibin version of that?

You can get NEW 1.83GHz MBPs on Apple Australia's store for $2399 at the moment (under Special Deals/Sale). In short, a BlackBook and a 15" MBP are the same price for a limited time. No EDU deals though (obviously) The trade off for 0.16MHz in clock speed is 2" of screen, a single 512MB stick of RAM (all the easier to upgrade), a nice aluminium case and an X1600 GPU. No contest really (unless you want a 13" form factor).

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
surroundfan said:
You can get NEW 1.83GHz MBPs on Apple Australia's store for $2399 at the moment (under Special Deals/Sale). In short, a BlackBook and a 15" MBP are the same price for a limited time. No EDU deals though (obviously) The trade off for 0.16MHz in clock speed is 2" of screen, a single 512MB stick of RAM (all the easier to upgrade), a nice aluminium case and an X1600 GPU. No contest really (unless you want a 13" form factor).

Dude. The ones in Special deals are refurbs. Look carefully. "Refurbished MacBook Pro - 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo". They don't make the 1.83 anymore.

Secondly. I get edu discount on the Blackbook, so NO, not the same price. Black is $2159.30 EDU. MBP Refurb is $2439.

Thirdly, you told me nothing new.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
brendo91 said:
Dude. The ones in Special deals are refurbs. Look carefully. "Refurbished MacBook Pro - 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo". They don't make the 1.83 anymore.

Secondly. I get edu discount on the Blackbook, so NO, not the same price. Black is $2159.30 EDU. MBP Refurb is $2439.

Thirdly, you told me nothing new.

Dude, the ones in the sale column are NOT refurbs and are $2399 (as opposed to the refurbs that are $2439). Look carefully...

So I did tell you something new which, in your smugness, you ignored...

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
I swear that was not there when I posted this thread. Good find. Sorry.

But even so. There is still a price difference between the Blackbook and the MBP, because I get edu discount on the blackbook.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
So my options are:

1. White 2.0 MB (80GB) - $1970 Edu
2. Black 2.0 MB - $2159.30 Edu
3. New 15" MBP 1.83 - $2399
4. Refurb 15" MBP 1.83 - $2439

Now we know 1 and 2 are meant to be the same. And we know the differences between 1/2 and 3/4.

Would there by any difference between 3 and 4?! Maybe the advantage of knowing someone's actually tested it to see if it's all fine?

Remember, with any of these, I'll be dropping in 2Gb of Kingston.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
brendo91 said:
So my options are:

Now we know 1 and 2 are meant to be the same. And we know the differences between 1/2 and 3/4.

Would there by any difference between 3 and 4?! Maybe the advantage of knowing someone's actually tested it to see if it's all fine?

Seeing the price difference between 3 and 4 I don't see why you have to think about it. It is a lot of money from 4 to 1. I'd still go with the MBP anytime though. It is too cool.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
brendo91 said:
So my options are:

With the MBP, you can probably get away with dropping in 1GB to bump total RAM to 1.5GB, because it's not dependent on paired RAM to the extent the MacBook is (the MacBook relies on paired RAM primarily because of its integrated graphics).

My MBP runs just sweet on 1GB. Mind you, I don't do video, music or photo editing on mine.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
surroundfan said:
With the MBP, you can probably get away with dropping in 1GB to bump total RAM to 1.5GB, because it's not dependent on paired RAM to the extent the MacBook is (the MacBook relies on paired RAM primarily because of its integrated graphics).

My MBP runs just sweet on 1GB. Mind you, I don't do video, music or photo editing on mine.

The chipset on all the Intel Macs supports asymmetric dual channel, so you should be able to throw 1GB into the MBP and get dual channel support as well.

And also... I feel sorry for you guys in Australia or wherever you're purchasing it :/ That's a big ouch on those prices.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
surroundfan said:

Right... well I will be?

We're talking about HUGE amounts of data travelling through the system per second... PLUS ram for the OS, PLUS ram for ProTools itself, plus say, loading up a couple of softsamplers with a huge multisampled drumkit, piano etc - say maybe 500mb or more... I've had systems choke with 1Gb doing Audio stuff.

2Gb is the target - I think I'll start with 1.5 and see how it goes though. With the MB, definitely 2Gb from the start though.

Prices, in USD, for comparison, are:

$1452 White
$1593 Black
$1770 New MBP

That is just converted from our final price, including GST.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Jiddick ExRex said:
Seeing the price difference between 3 and 4 I don't see why you have to think about it. It is a lot of money from 4 to 1. I'd still go with the MBP anytime though. It is too cool.

Ha. 3 is no longer on the site.

Refurb or nothing.

Are all the MBP issues resolved, or not?

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
What were the issues again anyway? There was the mooing, the whine, were there any others?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.