Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
vv-tim said:
The chipset on all the Intel Macs supports asymmetric dual channel, so you should be able to throw 1GB into the MBP and get dual channel support as well.

Could you (or someone) explain to me how asymmetric dual channeling works?

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Ok... it effectively doubles the memory bandwidth because it can read from both chips at once, I think?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
If you keep calling all the local apple stores and you may get lucky and find am open box(or even a demo model) MBP 1.83. I found a few at two different stores here and they were selling at the same price of a black MBP which is less than what apple is offering on a refurbished model.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
So I went and had a look at them, and I'm not sure which I prefer now. I like both keyboards, the MB for its tactile feedback and the MBP for it's silky-smoothness.

Screen size, I like the MBP.

As far as glossy screens, this computer I'm on right now has one but it's not super-glossy, like some. It's pretty close to the MB screen, and I like it. So I think I'd like the MB's screen too, it looked alright in person.

So all this REALLY comes down to is price, screen size and expansion slot.

For the extra $279 I get a screen upgrade and an expansion slot. Just wondering if it's worth it now.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Some idiot at Apple decided to stop education discounts anywhere but online, and guess what? The school I work at isn't on the education list :mad:

The pricing is then $2399 or $2439. That's $40 difference. If I wanted education pricing I would have to go online, and even then, I would have to get someone at JMC to fill out the application form to become a registered institution - what a pain!

I'm now HEAVILY leaning towards the MBP. And I've just found out if I go through the telephone store, I can pay by cheque, which suits me beautifully.

The only issue now is whether my Palm will sync!!!

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Nar1117 said:
Could you (or someone) explain to me how asymmetric dual channeling works?

I did a bit more research on the Intel chipsets.

It seems asymmetric dual channel doesn't provide the great amount of increase symettric dual channel does unless your program is a memory hog.

However, despite popular belief here on the forums, according to Intel, the only requirement for their symettric dual channel technology to work is that both chips be the same size (2x 1GB, 2x 512MB, etc). There is no requirement for chip density, timings, etc.

Symmetric dual channel technology will ping-pong your data between two chips so that you get twice the bandwidth with sequential access.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Plus shipping to Australia, plus the wait incurred, plus having to get someone else's credit card to buy it...

Just bought the refurb 1.83 by phone, sending off a cheque tomorrow. Getting a price on RAM from my usual PC dealer.

brendo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Myer huh??

CBD only I guess?

If I get a better deal thru them I can cancel the one ordered thru Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.