Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The problem here is not just for professionals. Today almost all consumer peripherals still come with a standard USB port not USB-C.

Expample:

External protable hard drives
USB thumb-drives
Logitech/Microsoft wireless mice and keyboards (they use a tiny USB receiver)
Wired gaming mice and keyboards
Mobile phones
Tablets including iPad
iPhone 7!!!
The list goes on...

USB-C has been out for quite some time yet is not still mainstream. It's not fair that I have to buy a cable or dongle in order to connect my brand new iPhone 7 or or thumbdrive.

USB-C is the future, but not the present. Untill the transition is complete Appple should have included at least one USB port like other companies are using.

And not upgrading makes no sense, Apple should be wanting consumers to upgrade not wait. Also I want a faster more powerful computer not to keep using older macbooks. Switching to Windows is NOT an option either as I love OSX.

What's the benefit of thinness if you have to carry dongles.
The HP Spectre x360 is even thinner than the macbook pro yet it has a USB port. I don't see the excuse.

Tempest in a teapot.

If you're already carrying around an external portable HDD/SDD, then toss an adapter in the bag. I could go down the list of the other things, but most should/are already be Bluetooth (including iPhone 7!!), or used so rarely that buying something like the CalDigit dock is a solution for those of you regularly using specialized gear.

"It's not fair"? Really?

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Tempest in a teapot.

If you're already carrying around an external portable HDD/SDD, then toss an adapter in the bag.

There'a a dongle for that
4bcCOwQ.jpg

These are all currently for sale on the Apple store. This is the future!

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The problem here is not just for professionals. Today almost all consumer peripherals still come with a standard USB port not USB-C.

Expample:

External protable hard drives
USB thumb-drives
Logitech/Microsoft wireless mice and keyboards (they use a tiny USB receiver)
Wired gaming mice and keyboards
Mobile phones
Tablets including iPad
iPhone 7!!!
The list goes on...

USB-C has been out for quite some time yet is not still mainstream. It's not fair that I have to buy a cable or dongle in order to connect my brand new iPhone 7 or or thumbdrive.

USB-C is the future, but not the present. Untill the transition is complete Appple should have included at least one USB port like other companies are using.

And not upgrading makes no sense, Apple should be wanting consumers to upgrade not wait. Also I want a faster more powerful computer not to keep using older macbooks. Switching to Windows is NOT an option either as I love OSX.

What's the benefit of thinness if you have to carry dongles.
The HP Spectre x360 is even thinner than the macbook pro yet it has a USB port. I don't see the excuse.

Sure, Apple could've included a USB A port, thinness isn't the whole story here. They believe it's the future and to get there, they just eliminated all other options. This will push other companies forward faster. Painful for now, but at least the transition isn't going to last 10 years - hopefully.

Lightning is kind of a weird move though...

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Queen6

macrumors G4
After over a year with my 12" Retina Macbook and now Samsung TabPro S employed in a professional role I can safely say that dongle`s & adapter`s are nothing more than an irritant. I can live with this on systems that are used predominately for business meetings. light work etc.

Not so much for the MacBook Pro and it`s usage, from my observations to date there is near zero adoption of USB C, I have yet to come across one peripheral that I could connect natively to a USB C port in multiple facilities across multiple countries, not one...

Apple has opted for all ports being USB C solely for their own purposes;
  • Aesthetics - form over function
  • Reduced tooling over time - 4 year cycle (min)
  • Scale of economy - higher volumes, cheaper prices over longterm contracts
  • Increased revenue from peripherals - now virtually mandatory
Without any doubts USB C is a significant leap forward, equally it will take several year to be fully adopted. For many customers a USB A & USB C solution would have made for a far superior solution, especially given TB-3`s bandwidth. I don't see too many maxing out all four ports, inversely I do see many being unhappy about having to deal with numerous dongles etc. depending on their workflow/location.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Can any one explain to me why they chose to have 4 USB-C ?
I thought 1 USB-C dock can handle like 4 USB ports, 2 HDMI, 1 ethernet, and SD-Card.
They could have done 2 USB-C and 2 USB 3.0 just for convenience ?

Can we just do it the other way around, just change all our USB cables to USB micro B->USB-C instead of buying dongles?
It just will looking ugly on the laptop to have wires hanging right and left.

You can't have a new world order without first doing away with the current world order.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
There'a a dongle for that

These are all currently for sale on the Apple store. This is the future!

Over half of those are Lightning/30-pin adapters for iOS devices. So, not really applicable to this MacBook discussion.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
You can't have a new world order without first doing away with the current world order.
Yep, Apple is the same company that did away with the floppy disc and the optical disc in their computers. I skipped the retina MBP so that I could hold onto that slot on my previous MBP.

They removed the optical disc to make the thing a couple millimeters lighter and to push us to the Cloud. The answer was to attach an outboard optical disc. Talk about clunky! None of the dongles for USB-C can compare.

Two years later, I opened up my 2011 MBP and replaced the optical disc with an SSD.

The moral of the story is that Apple is a forward looking company. They have no problem making you suffer through an adapter today in order to move the market forward. I am sure they want to see new peripherals that can take advantage of the speeds and by not putting a USB port in the thing, they created a bigger market for those devices.

Not saying I prefer the pain associated with moving the market forward, but I have come to expect it from Apple. If you don't like it, new Apple devices aren't for you. Get last year's MBP, keep your old laptop, or move on to Windows or another OS. This has been an ongoing theme for Apple, throughout their history, so no one should be surprised.

To quote Steve Jobs:

"We’re trying to make great products for people, and we have at least the courage of our convictions to say we don’t think this is part of what makes a great product, we’re going to leave it out. Some people are going to not like that, they’re going to call us names […] but we’re going to take the heat [and] instead focus our energy on these technologies which we think are in their ascendancy and we think are going to be the right technologies for customers. And you know what? They’re paying us to make those choices […] If we succeed, they’ll buy them, and if we don’t, they won’t, and it’ll all work itself out."

Reactions: aristobrat

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yep, Apple is the same company that did away with the floppy disc and the optical disc in their computers. I skipped the retina MBP so that I could hold onto that slot on my previous MBP.

They removed the optical disc to make the thing a couple millimeters lighter and to push us to the Cloud. The answer was to attach an outboard optical disc. Talk about clunky! None of the dongles for USB-C can compare.

Two years later, I opened up my 2011 MBP and replaced the optical disc with an SSD.

The moral of the story is that Apple is a forward looking company. They have no problem making you suffer through an adapter today in order to move the market forward. I am sure they want to see new peripherals that can take advantage of the speeds and by not putting a USB port in the thing, they created a bigger market for those devices.

Not saying I prefer the pain associated with moving the market forward, but I have come to expect it from Apple. If you don't like it, new Apple devices aren't for you. Get last year's MBP, keep your old laptop, or move on to Windows or another OS. This has been an ongoing theme for Apple, throughout their history, so no one should be surprised.

To quote Steve Jobs:

"We’re trying to make great products for people, and we have at least the courage of our convictions to say we don’t think this is part of what makes a great product, we’re going to leave it out. Some people are going to not like that, they’re going to call us names […] but we’re going to take the heat [and] instead focus our energy on these technologies which we think are in their ascendancy and we think are going to be the right technologies for customers. And you know what? They’re paying us to make those choices […] If we succeed, they’ll buy them, and if we don’t, they won’t, and it’ll all work itself out."

I think your experience perfectly encapsulates one strategy - never get any new Apple device immediately.

The iPhone 7 removes the headphone jack. Wireless headphones will eventually improve in terms of battery life, connectivity and price, but that day isn't today. Hopefully, by the time I am ready to upgrade from my 6S+, they will be.

Apple blocked flash on iOS. In the short run, we were disadvantaged from not being able to access content on certain websites. In the long run, we benefited from faster adoption of HTML 5 and better native apps.

With the release of the iPhone 5 and 6, there is usually a lag time before apps are properly updated to the newer resolutions. By the time I updated to the 5s and 6S, those apps were already updated and ready for me to use. Shame for the early adopters who had to put up with crappy non-scaling resolutions on day one though.

My MBA is still going strong and hopefully, by the time I am in the market for a new MacBooks a couple of years from today, the USB C accessory market will be more thriving than it is today.

To the early adopters of the MacBook Pro who will help usher in this brave new world of USB C peripherals, I salute you. Your courage and sacrifices will not have been in vain.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

Skullbussa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
I'm glad Apple is pushing forward with USB-C.

I'm not glad that they cheaped-out on CPU and GPU and removed the SD card slot. This is hardly a professional grade device. I'm looking at Lenovo and Dell at this point.

Reactions: flimpy

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I think your experience perfectly encapsulates one strategy - never get any new Apple device immediately.

The iPhone 7 removes the headphone jack. Wireless headphones will eventually improve in terms of battery life, connectivity and price, but that day isn't today. Hopefully, by the time I am ready to upgrade from my 6S+, they will be.

Apple blocked flash on iOS. In the short run, we were disadvantaged from not being able to access content on certain websites. In the long run, we benefited from faster adoption of HTML 5 and better native apps.

With the release of the iPhone 5 and 6, there is usually a lag time before apps are properly updated to the newer resolutions. By the time I updated to the 5s and 6S, those apps were already updated and ready for me to use. Shame for the early adopters who had to put up with crappy non-scaling resolutions on day one though.

My MBA is still going strong and hopefully, by the time I am in the market for a new MacBooks a couple of years from today, the USB C accessory market will be more thriving than it is today.

To the early adopters of the MacBook Pro who will help usher in this brave new world of USB C peripherals, I salute you. Your courage and sacrifices will not have been in vain.
I would just say that you shouldn't get the new device UNLESS you are willing to live with the trade off. In this case, most people will simply need the USB-C to USB adapter ( they should have given us one of them), so FOR MOST, the sacrifice is minimal. I will also need a thunderbolt to USB-C adapter for docking it in my home office. For my use, this is a much smaller sacrifice than ditching the optical disc, when they ditched it.

I also have the 7 plus, but I rarely used the headphone jack. So, for my needs their was zero pain associated with that move.

In other words, i don't think it is a situation where no one should buy the new product. They should simply think about how they use their device and determine the impact of having to possibly do those things differently. Then weigh that against the positives of the new device. In other words, a cost/benefit analysis makes sense when spending this kind of money (for most).

Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Tempest in a teapot.

If you're already carrying around an external portable HDD/SDD, then toss an adapter in the bag. I could go down the list of the other things, but most should/are already be Bluetooth (including iPhone 7!!), or used so rarely that buying something like the CalDigit dock is a solution for those of you regularly using specialized gear.

"It's not fair"? Really?

No I don't carry around an external HDD. But like most people I do carry a USB drive in my keychain (far from "specialized gear"). If I buy a thin laptop it is for use on a sleeve not a bag with dongles.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No I don't carry around an external HDD. But like most people I do carry a USB drive in my keychain (far from "specialized gear"). If I buy a thin laptop it is for use on a sleeve not a bag with dongles.
So buy a USB C flash drive.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
No adapters from what I understand Just a USB-C charger.
People are making a big deal about what is in the box. I agree that they should have put a USB-C to USB-A adapter in there because nearly EVERYONE will need one at some point. But lets be honest, you would pay for it anyway. Apple would just build the price of it into each MBP. It is the same concept of "throwing in floor mats", they have that built into the price of your car.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
People are making a big deal about what is in the box. I agree that they should have put a USB-C to USB-A adapter in there because nearly EVERYONE will need one at some point. But lets be honest, you would pay for it anyway. Apple would just build the price of it into each MBP. It is the same concept of "throwing in floor mats", they have that built into the price of your car.

Please save it for someone else. My comments were just informational and did not say if it was right or wrong or if it made me happy or sad.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Please save it for someone else. My comments were just informational and did not say if it was right or wrong or if it made me happy or sad.
It was a general statement (which is why I said "people" and not "Newtons Apple" in my post), not specifically aimed at you. Don't take everything so personally.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
For multiple reasons:
[Rant mode on]
  1. No longer my multiple magsafe2 adapters will work. BTW, the magnetic connection have been one great feature, that I'm also very sad to lose if I upgrade. I even bought a magsafe to magsafe2 adapter, so I can travel with my daughter's charger, and use it in both MBPs. Well, that's not going to happen anymore.
  2. What should I do with my thunderbolt cables and dock? I'll have to buy a new one, don't I?
  3. I use the SD card reader every day, I'm a photographer. So, I'll now have to use an external USB reader, but wait, I can't use it directly, I'll have to use a USB-C to USB adapter, and then the reader. Very cumbersome compared to what I do now, that is simply insert the card in the slot. Boom. And for those using SD card memory upgrades, they are out of luck as well.
  4. What should I do with my thunderbolt to VGA, or DVI adapters? They won't work either. And I can't hook it directly to the company projectors, I'll have to run around with an adapter too, like all the Windows users do. They'll laugh at me very hard :(
[Rant mode off]

Other than that, I like the design, the keyboard looks great and the touchbar have great potential. So, did Apple officially got rid of the glowing apple sign? That's a bit sad, don't you think? I know it was a useless feature, but it was kind of a statement. Well, I can live with that. No biggie.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Erm, don't upgrade yet and try to stop being a drama queen.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
For multiple reasons:
[Rant mode on]
  1. No longer my multiple magsafe2 adapters will work. BTW, the magnetic connection have been one great feature, that I'm also very sad to lose if I upgrade. I even bought a magsafe to magsafe2 adapter, so I can travel with my daughter's charger, and use it in both MBPs. Well, that's not going to happen anymore.
  2. What should I do with my thunderbolt cables and dock? I'll have to buy a new one, don't I?
  3. I use the SD card reader every day, I'm a photographer. So, I'll now have to use an external USB reader, but wait, I can't use it directly, I'll have to use a USB-C to USB adapter, and then the reader. Very cumbersome compared to what I do now, that is simply insert the card in the slot. Boom. And for those using SD card memory upgrades, they are out of luck as well.
  4. What should I do with my thunderbolt to VGA, or DVI adapters? They won't work either. And I can't hook it directly to the company projectors, I'll have to run around with an adapter too, like all the Windows users do. They'll laugh at me very hard :(
[Rant mode off]

Other than that, I like the design, the keyboard looks great and the touchbar have great potential. So, did Apple officially got rid of the glowing apple sign? That's a bit sad, don't you think? I know it was a useless feature, but it was kind of a statement. Well, I can live with that. No biggie.

Anyone else having the same issues?
https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Alum...&qid=1478806584&sr=8-2&keywords=satechi+usb+c

That is probably your best bet. Has HDMI, USB-A, SD card reader, Ethernet and USB C power pass through. Adds back pretty much every lost port. Only thing you would need besides that is a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter if you have any thunderbolt devices. Not as ideal as if it was just built in to the system but its only one thing to carry around and gives you more than what they removed.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wish the transition had simply moved TB to a USB-C port and kept MagSafe and some legacy stuff. The best of both and some more time for the world to catch up.

Using dongles for everything sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.