Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
You may not agree with me, but, IMHO, the new name schemes for OS X became too US-centric.

Before Mavericks, Apple named their OS X versions with big cats. This was a wise scheme in my opinion, as these names connect to anybody. It is easy for anybody anywhere in the world to identify and connect to tigers, leopards and lions. In addition, each of these big cats live in different places worldwide, and the images of these animals always depicted a different place in the world, which is where such animals lived. It had worldwide appeal.

With Mavericks, Apple introduced a new naming scheme. OS X versions would be named after places. Mavericks was the first. Now, Yosemite. Both places in California. This naming scheme may have an appeal in the US, but not worldwide appeal.

Mavericks? Who outside of the US knows what Mavericks is, apart from surfers? Yosemite is at least more widely known, but still. Why not use worldwide locations instead?

I don't really care about the name Apple gives to the OS. However, I think this is a poor marketing strategy since it is alienating foreign customers, which are the ones Apple should be focusing at.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't think it alienates anyone, cause nobody really cares about the names
They care about features and performance

Besides, Mavericks wasn't really "known" in the US
Most of us were clueless when it was announced

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah I had no idea what Mavericks was. I live on the East Coast and have no idea about places in California.

Still it's just a name. As long as the OS works well, I don't care.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Let Apple call it whatever they want. If you want, you can refer to them using the version numbers instead (10.9, 10.10 etc).
For me, in the UK, hearing these new words is really interesting.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
With Mavericks, Apple introduced a new naming scheme. OS X versions would be named after places. Mavericks was the first. Now, Yosemite. Both places in California. This naming scheme may have an appeal in the US, but not worldwide appeal.

When this change was made, it was described as being done because Apple is proud of being a California company. It's not only US-centric, it's California-centric, and that's completely intentional.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Heck! I can't remember the cat names in proper order, so, never meant much to me anyway.

Ditto Android names, other than I kinda know where in the big scheme of things they lie re: first letter of name.

Give me OS numbers: that I can decipher when and what.

ADD: if they started to name OSes after, say, places in Europe, then we'd have folks in Asia complaining names/places are too "Western".

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Part of saying something is too "something" is not appreciating for what it is. We had cats now we have places in California being showcased. It's just about appreciating what certain people are creating in the world.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
The new naming convention is a bit septic-centric for my liking, but there weren't nearly enough big cats to go around...

aK3c8wp.jpg

They should have moved onto cheeses. There are thousands of cheeses.

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
This is really splitting hairs. Like naming it after a US landmark is really going to reduce the international exposure and adoption rate. :p

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
But then I assuming you weren't intending to go there either.... ;)
Heh no, I hadn't noticed – as you can see, it was a redirect from 'mountain lion' – but someone would really have to be looking to be offended in order to find it offensive. I was more interested in the 'also known as the mountain lion, puma, panther'. The puma, btw, isn't actually a species but rather the genus that contains the cougar. It's all terribly confusing.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Yosemite National Park is a nice place to visit if you are in the area. OS X San Andreas Fault is hilarious. I think we should campaign for it as the new OS name. Or maybe, OS X Death Valley....

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't really care about the name Apple gives to the OS. However, I think this is a poor marketing strategy since it is alienating foreign customers, which are the ones Apple should be focusing at.

I don't agree with this. Why should Apple be focusing on foreign customers? I'm pretty sure Apple's biggest priority is the United States, where the company originated from. Also, its a name, I don't think its that big of a deal. When Mavericks was introduced, Apple said the next decade of names were going to be California based, where the company was created.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal

If that's enough to alienate foreign customers, then foreign customers are idiots. Besides, why should Apple focus at them? Apple is an american company and somewhat healthy, I think people from everywhere are ok with the names...

Epikuros

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
This isn't the first thread like this that I've seen where the author assumes that "foreigners" are all insular and self-centered.

It's actually quite nice to see themes "close to home" that might mean something to them. We do it too. IKEA still uses the Swedish names for it's stuff abroad.

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
who cares what they call their products. The majority of us will buy it anyways. lol Doggy doo doo hahaha hey! its a free upgrade

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yosemite is a dreadful name and tons of people have no idea how to pronounce it.

I should then point out that many folks still don't know how to pronounce OS X.
(hint - it's not "Oh Ess Ex")
And, remember when Apple was first publicly using system names when OS X 10.2 was announced, and all the kerfuffle about how to pronounce "Jaguar".
I suspect that most folks don't care about the pronunciation anyway :D
Of course, everyone will agree with me that the only correct pronunciation is "Yoh Smit"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.