Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
They should have moved onto cheeses. There are thousands of cheeses.

Not in the US. There's; "plain-white", "plain-white-dyed-orange", grated versions of either, diced versions of either, sliced versions of either and "spray-on"! :p

But staying on the food theme, Microsoft did use whiskies for Windows CE:
  1. Windows CE 4.0 - Talisker (Jan 2002)
  2. Windows CE 4.1 - Jameson (Jun 2002)
  3. Windows CE 4.2 - McKendric (Apr 2003)
  4. Windows CE 5.0 - Macallan (Aug 2004)
  5. Windows CE 5.0 Network Device Feature Pack - Tomatin (Apr 2006)
  6. Windows CE 6.0 - Yamazaki (Sep 2006)

Ref: CE 6.0 - why the codename "Yamazaki" ?

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Original Poster: "I don't really care about the name Apple gives to the OS. However, I think this is a poor marketing strategy since it is alienating foreign customers, which are the ones Apple should be focusing at."

What??? Your kidding right? And that poor marketing strategy has brought them 160 Billion in cash. It seems to me, that their strategy is working. I'm sure they are focusing on the right places to market their products and not alienating anyone.

Apple sells worldwide. The products are from Apple. The next OS could be called SAMCRO for all any one cares. Everyone knows its from Apple, and thats what matters.

Last edited:

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I should then point out that many folks still don't know how to pronounce OS X.
(hint - it's not "Oh Ess Ex")
And, remember when Apple was first publicly using system names when OS X 10.2 was announced, and all the kerfuffle about how to pronounce "Jaguar".
I suspect that most folks don't care about the pronunciation anyway :D
Of course, everyone will agree with me that the only correct pronunciation is "Yoh Smit"

Just going to say this.
Tim Cook and all them; they refer to Yosemite as (yō sǝ' mǝ tē)

Last edited:

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
In the UK, we pronounce it:
"yo-semit-ee"
(soft and nearly silent letter 't')

I am a native of Long Beach, CA... Everyone that I know here calls it yo-semit-ee as well. I heard some jokingly call it " yo - sim - mite ".

The other way yoh-sem-i-tee, sounds more like an "inland empire river rat" pronounciation.

Additionally, being a native of "So Cal" is a moot point, considering, along with Mavericks, Apple's Headquarters in Cupertino, and Yosemite are all in Nor Cal. People in So Cal, seem to feel superior to Nor Cal.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
California has a very good image abroad: Hollywood stars, SF, Napa, beautiful beaches & women, mountains, rich, high tech, sunny, friendly, etc. Also the cat names are product names which are not translated, so "Snow Leopard" was also "Snow Leopard" in countries where if you did not speak English, you might have had to do a little research to find out exactly what it meant.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Men, I don't care about the name, though I think it would have been cool if they would have moved to celestial objects.

OS X Orion
OS X Andromeda
Etc.

They can't do that because they already used galaxies like Andromeda for OS X Lion default desktop background.

----------

Yes, then the following release should be "OS X The Big One". ;)

I still think Apple should consider the following names:

OS X Mammoth
OS X Mt. Shasta
OS X Pacific Coast

I don't know why, but I seem to remember all the names of the OSes with no problem and the fact that they are naming the OSes after California landmarks makes it even easier to remember (SoCal native here).

For those who don't know how to pronounce Yosemite, in California (and I'm sure most of the OS) we pronounce it:

yoh-sem-i-tee

Ooh OS X Mammoth, now that sounds like a good name! :D

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
You may not agree with me, but, IMHO, the new name schemes for OS X became too US-centric.

Before Mavericks, Apple named their OS X versions with big cats. This was a wise scheme in my opinion, as these names connect to anybody. It is easy for anybody anywhere in the world to identify and connect to tigers, leopards and lions. In addition, each of these big cats live in different places worldwide, and the images of these animals always depicted a different place in the world, which is where such animals lived. It had worldwide appeal.

With Mavericks, Apple introduced a new naming scheme. OS X versions would be named after places. Mavericks was the first. Now, Yosemite. Both places in California. This naming scheme may have an appeal in the US, but not worldwide appeal.

Mavericks? Who outside of the US knows what Mavericks is, apart from surfers? Yosemite is at least more widely known, but still. Why not use worldwide locations instead?

I don't really care about the name Apple gives to the OS. However, I think this is a poor marketing strategy since it is alienating foreign customers, which are the ones Apple should be focusing at.

British here, ever since I've found out about Apple and used one in school from the early/mid 90s. Regardless of the name, Apple to me has always been America. Growing up in the 90s all I saw was Apple boxes, ads and it always sent out the American dream image to me.

However, when Mavericks came on the scene… I thought of the Australians. I was like, why has Apple gone surfing? Then my mind started bouncing between Australia Gold Coast and California Beach Boys and Point Break.

This was what I honestly thought of when I first heard Mavericks.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
My money is on Redwood for the next one.

Any other ideas, people of California that know places of interest there?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This is what I thought of the first time I heard they were calling it Yosemite

Yosemite-sam.gif

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
American Geography

Having worked overseas for my adult life, found out that many people know our geography much better than the average American, Yosemite is known to them and they known the park is in CA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.