Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Looks like a tiny improvement. Video doesn't seem to have been improved at all.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
so

as I said before

faster (a little) Processors
more ram on board
bigger HD options

really new:
scrollpad
coreimage capable graphics
BT2.0
anti-shock-system
(wich are all PowerBook things anyway)

no world shocking update... (except when you just ordered your 12" PowerBook... because ok the iBook is just a little slower on the proc side... but can have 256MB more ram and is much cheaper... hehehe) so for someone who needs just portable power, no gaming, no screenspanning... forget all about the 12" Powerbook right now :p

mca2

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2005
The Netherlands
Bastards! The old iBook already used to be 999,- euro (equals $1200) compared to the US $999,-.

Now they've even increased the price of the new iBook to 1039,- euro whilst the US price is still $999. 1039 euro that's nearly $1250! I can almost get an iBook cheaper by flying to New York and buy my iBook there.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Cue said:
I think ppl who should be more *pissed off* at this update should be the "just a pBook owner" ones.

so how much time has passed since the last Pb update??

I mean... they need to be updated too quite soon or nobody will buy one... unless you want/need a 15"/17" DVI 2GB ram FW 800 screenspanning...

I think this will kill Pb12" sales for a while (ok except when you need a SDrive in it and don't want to go for a 14" sized system...) because 0,17Ghz faster is no sales argument :p

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
devilot76 said:
Can anybody say how much the iBooks weigh? The same, huh? :confused:

Size and weight (12.1-inch model)

* Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
* Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm)
* Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm)
* Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg) (1)

Size and weight: (14.1-inch model)

* Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
* Width: 12.7 inches (32.3 cm)
* Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
* Weight: 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg) (1)

took that from the tech page

on edit, stores up.

*Z

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
the iBook is allso a little more expensive now...

we the euro-guys are ****ed anyway... iBook 999 usd -> 737,71 euro
and here it costs... 1059 euro (1434,10 USD)... thats a difference of 321,29 euro (435,10 USD)!!! I can go to the US buy one there, fly back and get the belgian powerplug for the price if I buy it here, and I will have a nice trip included

same with the Mac mini basic model in euro: 538,99 (729,90 USD) and in the us: 499USD (368,48 euro) pricedifference: 170,51 euro (230,90 USD)

I didn't realised that shipping those macs to europe was that expensive???

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
It seems like the iBook just beat the Powerbook in one aspect. Well, besies price. The iBook comes iwth one stick of 512, while the Powerbook comes with two 256 sticks. The iBook has a bigger RAM capacity in 12" form. :eek: :eek: :eek:

How did they let the Powerbook sink so low.........

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Now one must decide on the 12" Powerbook and the 12" iBook. iBook now has a better GPU (ableit less RAM) and 512MB of soldered on RAM instead of the Powerbook having 256MB soldered on + 256MB taking up the one and only memory slot. The Powerbook still has a faster harddrive, Processor, Bus, and RAM.

Comparing the video cards

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/955055005200/index.htm

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
Jo-Kun said:
I didn't realised that shipping those macs to europe was that expensive???
It isn't.. but in Amerikka they have to count value tax on their purchases themselves, which makes margin between their & our prices smaller. I bought my iPod mini from there, and saved just 20 euros ($199 =? €170). Add tax, and I got it for 186 euros.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
oh and to give the right price comparison... since the US price is excl taxes:

iBook excl taxes in belgium (converted to USD) 1185,21 still +186,21 ;-)
mac mini excl taxes (allso converted to usd) 603,97 still +104,97

taxes are 21%

Yossarian

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2005
Well my iBook-hungry friends our journey has come to an end. I've just ordered a 12" with Tucano sleeve thingy and am quite innordinately happy, almost dizzy with anticipation (or was that the 2 pints at lunchtime...). It's not a huge update but it was well targeted, RAM, bluetooth, HD and a sprinkle of seasoning on the CPU.

All that needs to happen now is for the wonderful men and women of TNT UK shipping to not screw up like they have done with every other apple order and actually bring the hallowed box to my humble abode. I require no fanfare, a simple van shall suffice though if a horse-drawn carraige were to become available it would be most appreciated.

It's been... real ;)

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
Jo-Kun said:
oh and to give the right price comparison... since the US price is excl taxes:

iBook excl taxes in belgium (converted to USD) 1185,21 still +186,21 ;-)
mac mini excl taxes (allso converted to usd) 603,97 still +104,97

taxes are 21%
we europeans have to pay that much extra because EU has (at least had) some tariffs against US, thanks to US-steel subsidies. This still hasn't been settled in WTO, I'm afraid?

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Tahko said:
we europeans have to pay that much extra because EU has (at least had) some tariffs against US, thanks to US-steel subsidies. This still hasn't been settled in WTO, I'm afraid?

hmm that's why they added the 'spend wisely' slogan :p haha

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Tahko said:
It isn't.. but in Amerikka they have to count value tax on their purchases themselves, which makes margin between their & our prices smaller. I bought my iPod mini from there, and saved just 20 euros ($199 =? €170). Add tax, and I got it for 186 euros.

Yes I know if you do it the official way you allso have to pay 25% import taxes on it here in belgium...

wich makes the price of the imported iBook-> 922,13 euro wich still is a 136,87 euro difference If I don't make thinking errors here ;-)

but if you are (like me) a buisness the 21% can be deducted, and I'm not sure how that works on imported stuff... if I can deduct the 25% import tax.. don't know.. so for me if I can't do that there will be no advantage in buying it in the US but for other people it still is (if you travel there anyway... otherwise its probably stupid just to fly there to buy it :p)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Chef Medeski said:
It seems like the iBook just beat the Powerbook in one aspect. Well, besies price. The iBook comes iwth one stick of 512, while the Powerbook comes with two 256 sticks. The iBook has a bigger RAM capacity in 12" form. :eek: :eek: :eek:

How did they let the Powerbook sink so low.........

It sank so low because over the past couple years the "updates" have been so so horribly minor

hatteras

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Finally I can get my first Mac! However, I’ve got an ethical question: in the fall, I will be going back to school and want to take an iBook with me. Unfortunately, the school I will be attending is overseas, and is not eligible for an edu discount. However, in fall 2006, I will be enrolling in an edu-eligible US university. Of course, I can’t wait until then to buy my laptop, so would it be unethical of me to have my sibling, who is currently enrolled in an ‘edu’ University, buy my iBook for me? Thanks.

i-Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2005
i just ordered the new ibook so happy :D:D:D:D
theres just one thing i dun get, wat is the country kit? its added as part of the ibook package

huy

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Just ordered mine yesterday. (It is now Wednesday 2.30am in Australia). Sadly, it's not for me, but for my brother. We're upgrading it to 1.5GB not via Apple of course, Corsair DDR400 (though the iBook is 333).

It's a shame my 12" PB Rev. D did not come with 512MB built-in but rather 256+256. I have 768 in this machine but it's still "better" than the iBook I've just ordered. Also upgraded the baby to 80GB so it's BTO, taking a few more days to arrive. It should be here next week or 'on or before' 10th August. :cool: I'm very happy that Apple have used one DIMM of 512MB and have included things like SMS and two finger scrolling (though I know it is just a driver). Well done on this upgrade!

spellflower

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
HOORRRAAAYYY!

I told you my guy wouldn't lead us astray! God, it feels like a dream, I can hardly believe it's finally here. I seem to remember posting some months back that I'd buy the updated ibook even if it was the same as the old one but with a racing stripe on the back. Since I was pretty much decided on buying one update or not, I'm delighted to get what we got. The old ib would have sufficed for my needs, but this one will continue to do so longer (graphics wise, plus I can now afford more memory, and it will survive more falls, not that I ever intend to let it fall). The only thing I was really hoping for that we didn't get was a mini input. WTF? Every PC notebook has one, and it's only technology that is older than almost every other component of the ibook! I guess they probably are still using the old casings though, and a new input will reuquire a redesign. Oh well, I'm certainly not paying $500 for such a feature on a pb, and I can always get a USB box that will do the same thing better anyway.

All in all, a great day. I just wish MA tax free day was sooner than 8/13. Anyone know how long it takes from placing an order for an ibook w/80g hard drive until it arrives?

PS: if anyone's in Western MA, let me know, we can go celebrate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.