Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I think there won't be huge Benchmark increases for a while now.

Any future processor performance increase will be used as a way to further decrease the clock speed to save energy and make devices even thinner and lighter.

Comments?

I agree. The laptop market is being hammered by tablets, so i suspect apple will continue on this trend of taking new processor advances to maximize battery life and reduce size. Where processor power used to be essential for multimedia applications, it seems that we will continue to see major gpu and software advances that will offload more and more tasks to the gpu, which is improving at a much more significant rate.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
While all of you are debating clock speeds and benchmarks, i'll chime in with a fact that many of you are ignoring. The new models feature PCIe based flash which is from what i remember almost 50 % faster for read speeds. This will play a large part in our perception of speed in day to day use. Sure, last year's models might geekbench similarly, but i can assure you they won't feel nearly as fast as the new ones when you've got that kind of storage throughput. Ram now days is extremely fast, processors and gpu's same, the only real potential bottleneck is the speed of storage and wifi performance, both of which were addressed with this latest update.

If you're considering a new machine, don't get caught on the refurb store trying to save a few bucks on the last gen, the new machines are worth the extra.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
iGPU + dGPU combined OpenCL performance?

Hello,

is there a benchmark that shows if the Iris Pro and 750M can be used together for a radical increase in OpenCL performance? I know that it doesn't work like that for graphics but according to an article it was possible with OpenCL already in Snow Leopard.

kenosecon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
I have an early 2011 MBPro 15", 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and comparing my scores to those of the new models:

15-inch MacBook Pro:

- My 15" MBPro, 2011 : Single-Core 2810, Multi-Core 10405
- i7-4750HQ @ 2.0 GHz: Single-Core 2844, Multi-Core 10887
- i7-4850HQ @ 2.3 GHz: Single-Core 3100, Multi-Core 11771
- i7-4960HQ @ 2.6 GHz: Single-Core 3379, Multi-Core 12813

Frankly the fact that I can still drop an upgraded hard disk in there any time I want (instead of being locked-down to the disk (and RAM) sizes when I but the Mac from Apple,) means I'll be sticking with my current Mac for a while.

you can upgrade the ssd in the new models.
ram stay as it is but I dont think the laptops support more than 16 gb.
cheers

Rocketman

macrumors 603
article said:
15-inch with quad-core CPU:
- i7-4750HQ @ 2.0 GHz: Single-Core 2844, Multi-Core 10887
- i7-4850HQ @ 2.3 GHz: Single-Core 3100, Multi-Core 11771
- i7-4960HQ @ 2.6 GHz: Single-Core 3379, Multi-Core 12813
It is interesting to note the multi-core values are about 1000 points or about 10% from speed to speed but the price differential is closer to 20-30%. So the lower end i7's are a "better value".

Rocketman

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Macs are designed to last for longer than a year! If you look after it and are willing to watch the technology world race ahead (as it inevitably will), then that machine should last you 3-5 years, if Mavericks is still available to Macbook Pros built in 2007, then you can expect 6 years of support from Apple's end

Of course they are! But in my case I do all of my work on these machines and am willing to pay to eliminate wait times/unresponsiveness. If I have to wait 10-15 seconds to build an Xcode project (Or more importantly 3-4 seconds to look at a Storyboard file) those times add up really quickly when you do them a ton of times every day. In this case though the couple percentage points isn't going to affect much for me.

But in 6 years the iPad will likely be faster than this machine, so there is no way I will be keeping it that long :D

brett02

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
last year vs new release

alright so after a couple weeks of researching I decided on the RMBP A1425 model . believe it came out end of last year. I was able to snag it for 1100 after 50 dollar student discount. I am going to be using photoshop and light move editing with it. Am I really missing out by saving 200 bucks instead of buying the new version. Also what sold me was the fact that I have 8 gigs . Looking at my system resources Im using almost 4 right off the bat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.