Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World

Yep, no product was named... :rolleyes:

This tread is wearing a bit thin now... [pun intended].

Anyway to be clear, the PC v MAC campaign does not need to relate to a specific product to make it's point regarding the hypocrisy being cried about in this thread.

When Apple focused on PC v MAC, it is clear to anybody who understands this type of advertising, that they were in fact focusing mainly on Windows PC's and so (at least) in part, Microsoft.

In fact the very same campaign also ran Ad's mocking Vista, so if you want to get all pernickety, last I checked Vista was a Microsoft product.

So yes, a product was named :p

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
The only reason they sell is because poor people buy them.

/s

You know I would be quick to say that this is a very ignorant comment, and to a great extent it is because these are also popular amongst geeks too, but sheesh the amount of trailer trash, hood rats, thugs, wanna be ghetto ballers I see with my very eyes with these exact phones, their has to be some level of truth to this. Don't get me wrong I see some these folks with iphones too, but I see them mostly with android for sure. I suppose Iphones are losing its cool factor in the hood..

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They show the Samsung 'bumping' with another. iPhone has done it for years.
They show the Samsung turning on a TV. iPhone can do all that. Mine can work my Entire house Home Automation, my Onkyo Amp, my Sony Blueray, my Apple TV and also works (albiet not well) with my Samsung TV
They show the Samsung being answered with a gesture (several times). My Samsung TV does that too. But hardly ever, and when I pick up a coffee, the volume goes up. Gestures are very much still 'in beta'
Finally, you can take a photo with it with over-saturated colours. I wish the iPhone could do that...

Did they show it hit the ground? No, because it won't last as well as the iPhone. The build quality of the SGS4 is well below par.

But credit where credit's due. They put hot chicks in a pool, so they'll definitely sell phones.

Very average add Samsung. No class whatsoever.

Just wow.No other reply to your post. Sorry.

They do make touch friendly gloves you know. I have some that work really well. And based on some of the reviews I've read, probably better than this air gesture.

So you're knocking a built in feature of a phone as useless but want to assert that having to buy/wear additional clothing is a better option.

oooooooo kkkkkkkkkk

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Your phone has to be out on the table, face up. If it's in your pocket or face down, the gesture is useless. So the premise is that you have to prepare for the possible need to use your phone before getting your hands messy.

Nobody ever places their phone on the table in front of them. Not during meetings. Not during meals. Never once have I ever seen anybody ever do that.

/s

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Well I never liked the Mac vs. PC commercials although to be fair these were more about the platform while the Samsung ads mock users directly.

How so?

How is implying the iPhone is a 'Dad phone' different from implying that if you use a PC, you look and act like John Hodgmans 'Anal Dad' Character rather than the 'cool young and hip' Justin Long's character?

How is that not mocking the user directly? Otherwise why use and assert the very personable image of 'successful-hip-guy' over the 'nerdy-nice-but-a-loser' stereotype?

Samsung merely try to do exactly the same here.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Let's see Apple 4S Samsung S4. No that's definitely a different name. Very creative on Samsungs side and useful it's big enough to double as a sanding block.

It doesn't even work as a sanding block! It is way too curvy!

For a good sanding block, the iPhone works better, because it is so squared off!

iPhone FTW!! AGAIN!!!!

/s

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
In her case, she had lotion on her hands. Lots of the features aren't going to be used everyday but they can be handy on occasion.

Because it's not like you can finish applying your sunscreen/lotion, dry your hand on a towel and check or answer the text message. NO, instant generation, need that now with my still-wet hand OF COURSE.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because it's not like you can finish applying your sunscreen/lotion, dry your hand on a towel and check or answer the text message. NO, instant generation, need that now with my still-wet hand OF COURSE.

You could say the same about people using siri to do some of the crap it can do when it's faster/easier to do otherwise.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I still don't get the beaming thing. Holding your Galaxy back to back with another Galaxy. Isn't it easier to send a file via email or mms? From what I've heard, it's not just touch the phones back to back and poof it's done. Depending on the file size it could take a while. It may be more convenient for both the sender and recipient to send the files in a traditional way.

The gestures are cool and the commercial did a good job of illustrating when you'd use them, while eating, with wet hands and as others have pointed out, with gloves on.

They kinda skipped past (maybe in the fine print) that you need certain samsung tvs to control them from your phone. Apple TV does that too and I can control my computer from my iPhone.

The pictures of the dive into the pool were cool. I'd like to see how that works in real life. I'm sure you need perfect lighting conditions for that too work well.

Great innovation by Samsung / android and I like it when the bar is raised. Apple will respond and then the dance continues with each trying to out do the other. It's a win-win for consumers.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

I know plenty of already mentioned this to you, but it's just silly and biased so say such a thing. Apple has made fun of Microsoft with their ads all the time. And now Samsung does it, and they have no class? So by that standard you must admit that Apple themselves have no class. Do you admit to that?

Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Face it, what this ad says its true.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, Apple was making fun of the PC itself and the software... not the people who use it. Samsung is portraying the user (such as myself) as an ignorant follower who cannot make a rational decision.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I still don't get the beaming thing. Holding your Galaxy back to back with another Galaxy. Isn't it easier to send a file via email or mms? From what I've heard, it's not just touch the phones back to back and poof it's done. Depending on the file size it could take a while. It may be more convenient for both the sender and recipient to send the files in a traditional way.

The gestures are cool and the commercial did a good job of illustrating when you'd use them, while eating, with wet hands and as others have pointed out, with gloves on.

They kinda skipped past (maybe in the fine print) that you need certain samsung tvs to control them from your phone. Apple TV does that too and I can control my computer from my iPhone.

The pictures of the dive into the pool were cool. I'd like to see how that works in real life. I'm sure you need perfect lighting conditions for that too work well.

Great innovation by Samsung / android and I like it when the bar is raised. Apple will respond and then the dance continues with each trying to out do the other. It's a win-win for consumers.

It is fairly instantaneous with S-Beam vs Android Beam. Android Beam uses BT which is slow but S-Beam creates an ad-hoc wifi direct connection between two galaxy devices and can transfers at a high speed. Pictures, Small videos, apps and websites are pretty much instant and the phone doesn't have to stay back to back in order to continue the transfer for larger files.

Also the G4 has an IR blaster, so it should theoretically control any tv much like a Universal Remote already does. As long as you have the IR code for the specific TV.

I personally do not care much for the air gestures. I can see their use in very special occasions but it is not a "must have" that some people are making it out to be.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Those people spent the entire graduation party talking about their phones instead of having any sort of useful or meaningful conversation or interaction.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Yeah - this happens all the time.

How about a more likely scenario. You're somewhere where there's no signal and/or wifi. Like a subway station. Or several blocks in Manhattan for example where both wifi and 4G (or any signal) are unable to penetrate the layers of concrete and steel.

Or how about those that simply don't want to eat away at their data plan.

I do love how those who don't have a feature try to insist how useless it is to make themselves feel better. Well my phone doesn't have it - so I don't need it. Great for you.

Doesn't iPhoto do this over Bluetooth? No need to touch phones. It's not a free app, but it's a pretty good app that does plenty.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
As someone pointed out in an earlier post, Apple was making fun of the PC itself and the software... not the people who use it. Samsung is portraying the user (such as myself) as an ignorant follower who cannot make a rational decision.

Ignorant follower? You mean like a lemming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SJQdREDKM

Apple would never do that.

This fanboi defense of Apple is getting pathetic. Face it, everyone does it, including Apple who practically invented it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Those people spent the entire graduation party talking about their phones instead of having any sort of useful or meaningful conversation or interaction.

Spot on. Ironic that tech companies produce products to make life more "enjoyable", etc, yet we're so busy capturing life (or arguing how best to capture it) that we're not living in the moment and losing out on the most important aspect in our lives. Perhaps it's time we stepped back from our devices and rejoined the world.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Did you not watch??

How do you see these features as useful? Holding a pointed finger at the screen to open a txt msg seems slower than actually pressing to open. I suppose if your fingers are covered with delicious BBQ sauce...

Do you people even watch the video before commenting? The point was that you could use the waive / gestures to control some things if your fingers are messy. Once the guy answered a call while his fingers were all saucy from those ribs. Once the girl used her finger hovered over the screen when she had been putting sunscreen on and would have therefor had greasy hands. No one is saying these gestures are to replace touching the screen. They are just another useful method of doing certain things under certain conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Android fan. I have nearly exclusively Apple products in my house. But look at what is actually going on before you put down a feature or product.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I didn't realize making a pithy comment equated to caring

So you seemed to care enough to make a pithy comment to someone for whom you did not care about the comment they made. Right, got it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.