Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So seemed to care enough to make a pithy comment to someone for whom you did not care about the comment they made. Right, got it.

You're going to need to chart that one for me. I referred to my original comment that was called out. I don't think you can equate me replying with a pithy comment as caring either way. My comment had nothing to do with caring about what the person who ASKED me why I cared.

But it's cool. We both know why you commented on my reply.

----------

Interesting - apparently one of your articles is "syndicated" as it is the same story repeated in two publications.

The htc one is having the same problem

And the iPhone 5! :eek:

Last edited:

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I don't know about bullying... Apple made fun of PCs.

As for reviews, I thought most were positive, but with reservations due to the gimmicks and cheap build quality.

One thing's for sure... When you mix Android + TouchWiz + gimmicky features + dupe features (like 2 app stores), you end up with a very steep, frustrating learning curve and a cluster F of a user experience.

You sir = voice of reason. Android is mature enough that obv a flagship phone can't suck specs/feature-wise... The diminishing returns occur with the insipid "bonus" software. Lol, if iPhone users want any of those features they are an app away.. no redundancy necessary. Samsung users, if they do NOT like the stock solution, sadly cannot remove the silly built in dozens of cluttery/bloatware apps, they can just add yet more apps as replacements. :0(
Apple has had bump for years (I very briefly installed it, found it silly & not nearly as convenient as sending multimedia via txt or email though), tv controlling apps? C'mon, does ANYBODY think that is an app that ONLY an S4 can run?? At any rate.. to each their own, I hope the S4 owners enjoy the ostentatious gimmicks.. or somehow manage to tune out all the garbage they don't use & still enjoy their phones. This ad still feels cheap, petty, and misleading bordering upon dishonest to me...

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Ignorant follower? You mean like a lemming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SJQdREDKM

Apple would never do that.

This fanboi defense of Apple is getting pathetic. Face it, everyone does it, including Apple who practically invented it.

Really? A commercial that aired almost 30 years ago from a desperate company run by a CEO who nearly ran the company to the ground (Scully)? A commercial that was a failure where even Apple almost issues a public apology for? Apple's Lemming's Ad

I'm not claiming Apple's never done it, but I believe it's poor taste and gives the company an appearance of desperation, envy and snob. And honestly it keeps me from buying ANY of their product. I'm glad Apple moved away from that type of advertisement.

Personally I prefer when two parties respect each other and just try to out-do each other.

----------

But isn't that part of my point? I don't think the S4 is at a point where there's a "gate" involved.

Of course it isn't. Personally I think it's all ridiculous anyway. I highly doubt the phone's heating is as big an issue as has been reported. Just like I think the Antenna-Gate wasn't that big a problem either. Problem, sure... Problem where the device is un-useable? Doubt it.

Samsung makes good products. Apple makes good products. Does anyone make a perfect product? no...

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Really? A commercial that aired almost 30 years ago from a desperate company run by a CEO who nearly ran the company to the ground (Scully)? A commercial that was a failure where even Apple almost issues a public apology for? Apple's Lemming's Ad

I'm not claiming Apple's never done it, but I believe it's poor taste and gives the company an appearance of desperation, envy and snob. And honestly it keeps me from buying ANY of their product. I'm glad Apple moved away from that type of advertisement.

Steve Jobs was still the CEO of Apple when Lemmings was released, not Sculley. It was his baby along with his ad buddy Clow. Apple was hardly desperate at the time as the Apple IIe was successful as was the launch of the Mac in 1984. They didn't start to get desperate until the late 80s when Jobs was fired.

And your link says they "considered" an apology but they never offered one.

As for moving away from creating the appearance of envy and snob[bery], what else is the PC vs. Mac series but giving the appearance of envy?

Ads are ads and I don't hold it against either company as long as they are creative and entertaining.

I just don't see the need to revise history. Facts are facts.

EeZeEpEe

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL
Because it's not like you can finish applying your sunscreen/lotion, dry your hand on a towel and check or answer the text message. NO, instant generation, need that now with my still-wet hand OF COURSE.
And that's a bad thing to not have to wait?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I am far from a Samsung apologist. I see no making fun here, they are simply pointing out new features that the iPhone doesn't have. Their previous commercials have been making fun of iPhone users, I don't think they've made fun of the iPhone or Apple yet.

Although they are wrong about the TV thing, I was controlling mine just tonight when my daughter lost the actual remote.

OTOH, air gestures are stupid. And yes, I will say that if they are in iOS7, too.

I would say Air gestures could be useful when your hands are wet or dirty and you rather not touch your phone. Also, if you are driving and don't want to focus on the screen to do a precise touch; an Air Gesture would be very useful.

Regarding one company making fun of the other one, I would say the ad was more harmless than the Coca Cola vs Pepsi ads we have seen through the years.

Even the "I'm a Mac" Campaign was friendly; it actually portrait two friends: Mac and PC.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
This ad is better than some Apple ones of late. They usually show apps. The one that came out after the iPad Mini was released shows a keyboard being played on two tablets. What's the point in tht?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Samsung makes good products. Apple makes good products. Does anyone make a perfect product? no...

Ahh - but if only more people online (this forum and others) could just admit this to themselves and not get into some stupid pissing contest about something which is completely subjective (which is better) since it comes down to individual taste and use cases.

Regarding one company making fun of the other one, I would say the ad was more harmless than the Coca Cola vs Pepsi ads we have seen through the years.

Even the "I'm a Mac" Campaign was friendly; it actually portrait two friends: Mac and PC.

The Samsung ad in this thread doesn't attack the iPhone as some others are winging on about. They don't mention the iPhone. They simple state that one of the features they are highlighting can't be done on the other phone in that use case.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Apply pulled like 3 or 4 adds right around the Superbowl and I remember seeing the one in the air plain and yelling out loud that the add was a fing joke and was so pissed at it.not even a day later from public backlash apple pulled all the adds before people could see them.

I say it like a few days before the Superbowl and apple was supposed to show them all on the big event and cancelled right before.

Google apple pulled commercial I'm a PC and see how desperate apple was to get people to switch

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Steve Jobs was still the CEO of Apple when Lemmings was released, not Sculley. It was his baby along with his ad buddy Clow. Apple was hardly desperate at the time as the Apple IIe was successful as was the launch of the Mac in 1984. They didn't start to get desperate until the late 80s when Jobs was fired.

And your link says they "considered" an apology but they never offered one.

As for moving away from creating the appearance of envy and snob[bery], what else is the PC vs. Mac series but giving the appearance of envy?

Ads are ads and I don't hold it against either company as long as they are creative and entertaining.

I just don't see the need to revise history. Facts are facts.

Not sure where I'm revising history. Facts ARE facts : Scully was hired as the CEO of Apple on April 8th, 1983.

And I never said Apple issued an apology, I simply said they ALMOST apologized (they considered it).

My point is that those ads were a while back, I never liked them, and I do not like that type of ad no matter WHAT company it is. It shows lack of confidence in your product and comes across as insecure.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Where do you hang out? All I ever see are iPhones and iPads.:rolleyes:

I live in a VERY divers area so I cross path with folks from various social economic backgrounds and I've noticed some strong gadget trends...

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That's a lie, I use it almost daily.

The samsung rep tapped to shared me the avengers movie.

My coworkers tap to share stuff all the time
I see the copy-at-will mentality trickles all the way down to the reps.

Hey, it had to be said! :D (I have a Note 2 and love it.)

Michael

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
And that's a bad thing to not have to wait?

Because you're waiting on NOTHING. What, it doesn't take even a whole minute to do that. What is the difference between checking the text now (btw, with iOS, no hand waving needed, it can come up on the screen if you want it to) and checking it a few seconds later? I mean... really..

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Most of the features highlighted in this ad can be replicated on an iPhone with apps, for example ActionShot for the pool jump, and Bump for the photo sharing (it's cross-platform, too). Others are just pointless, like the hovering your finger over your phone to answer a call or read a text. If your fingers are dirty, just use your knuckle!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Most of the features highlighted in this ad can be replicated on an iPhone with apps, for example ActionShot for the pool jump, and Bump for the photo sharing (it's cross-platform, too). Others are just pointless, like the hovering your finger over your phone to answer a call or read a text. If your fingers are dirty, just use your knuckle!

I use quick glance just about every day. Guess I should have checked with you first. Oh, and try using Bump without an internet connection. It's simply a client-server-client solution. Not the same at all.

Michael

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Do you people even watch the video before commenting? The point was that you could use the waive / gestures to control some things if your fingers are messy. Once the guy answered a call while his fingers were all saucy from those ribs. Once the girl used her finger hovered over the screen when she had been putting sunscreen on and would have therefor had greasy hands. No one is saying these gestures are to replace touching the screen. They are just another useful method of doing certain things under certain conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Android fan. I have nearly exclusively Apple products in my house. But look at what is actually going on before you put down a feature or product.

Objectively speaking, I appreciate attempts at novel features. However voice command would be vastly better than gimmicky gesture based controls. I had previously stated as such earlier in this thread. Gestures make sense when working at a distance. However more often than not, your phone will be in your pocket or in a carrier of some kind. Out tanning with greasy fingers and leaving the phone in direct sunlight? Sounds unlikely. At a picnic with fingers covered with delicious BBQ but phone is left on table? Sounds like a nice set up for a theft.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Ahh - but if only more people online (this forum and others) could just admit this to themselves and not get into some stupid pissing contest about something which is completely subjective (which is better) since it comes down to individual taste and use cases.

The Samsung ad in this thread doesn't attack the iPhone as some others are winging on about. They don't mention the iPhone. They simple state that one of the features they are highlighting can't be done on the other phone in that use case.

I agree with most of what you say and at least you look at both sides objectively, the only thing is my opinion of Samsung is I really don't like the way they go about their business.

BUT that is MY opinion and like you I don't force it upon people:)

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Apple has it worse than anyone though. Almost nothing from Apple is original

ROFL. Love the sarcasm.

So how does the wave and control work on your SAMSUNG TV? How about the voice control. It sucks is how.

There are certainly times where Apple has copied others. I do agree. They copied Microsoft as being the richest Tech Company on the Planet at some point.

EeZeEpEe

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL
Because you're waiting on NOTHING. What, it doesn't take even a whole minute to do that. What is the difference between checking the text now (btw, with iOS, no hand waving needed, it can come up on the screen if you want it to) and checking it a few seconds later? I mean... really..
You said it yourself, the difference is a few seconds. :D There's nothing wrong with checking something then and there. BTW on Android you can add a pop-up on the lock screen too. It's just nice to not have the whole message just show up immediately but when you actually do want to see it, the hover feature allows you to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.