Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
gauchogolfer said:
First of all, I don't have a problem with what you are doing. But, I think you misunderstand the policy here. The point of authorizing 5 computers is not so that you can let your friends listen to music that you've purchased. It's so that people like me (Powerbook, iMac at home, PC at work) can listen to all of the music that I've purchased on all of my own computers, not someone else's. Same goes for the 3 iPods in my family.

Cheers.

I totally see the fine ambiguous line between the two. But I wouldn't go as far as screaming ILLEGAL file sharing since it is paid for, and still using the 5 machines policy. iTMS allows 5 machines for people who have many computers in the house. I have multiple computers in the house as well, they're just my roommates. ;)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Im sorry but thats filesharing.

effectively, unless they stay authorised your account, or you stay authorised in their account, you cant listen to the files.

Do you understand now? If in doubt, ask Apple yourself and they will say the same that I have.

The Authorisation is for upto 5 of your OWN computers. Not other peoples.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
Nermal said:
Several people have said that you cannot authorise two accounts on the same computer. This is completely false. I've had two accounts for over a year now, and I can play songs from both accounts without any issues whatsoever.

Exactly!
Some posters have been repeatedly stating that you can only have an authorised account at any given time on a computer: this is false!
I have been living with three accounts on my Mac all authorised at the same time and I can play all songs I bought from the store under any account one after the other. No need to re-authorise anything and no problem whatsoever.

Now, if you're talking about buying items off the store, obviously you need to log-in/log-out to change account so yes, you can only be logged in under a single account when purchasing from the store.
Logging-in and authorising the computer are totally different matters, though.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
dorqiekat said:
Just to make myself clear:

I am NOT sharing accounts nor am I switching from their account to mine. I buy music legally. They buy music legally. I want what they buy, they want what I buy. So, I AUTHORIZE (oops, you're from England) their computer to play my purchased music and they authorize mine machine for the same reason. This is why iTMS allows 5 machines. If it wasn't legal, then iTMS would now allow any other machines but yours to play the purchased item. It also wouldn't allow you to move the file into ipods.

Don't remember if this was mentioned before but I think you're 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. You can authorize up to 5 machines, but that is when you're signed into your account only. So say if you have iTunes at home and at work. You can bring those downloaded iTS songs from home to work and you can listen to them there as well. But you'll be signed into your account. See? I think this is the stumbling block. You're trying to have other users play your music under their account and that's where it's borking.

Crap, I remember doing this with a friend a while ago. I copied my song to his machine then authorized it. We listened to it while signed into his account. Damn, forget all I said. I really haven't tried this before so I can't say for sure on it. I do know that if it is YOU signed in on those other machines everything will work just peachy.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
dorqiekat said:
My roomates paid for them on their computer and then I copied them and they authorized it.

If it's already been authorized, why does it have to be authorized again just because I'm not using the same internet connection. And if I authorize it for the second time, will they have less machines to aurhorize even though we've already authorized my computer?

And why will it not play when I'm not connected to the internet? I find that the security itunes has put up to be very inconvenient.

Is there any way to strip the lock from episodes after authorizing it?

sounds to me like you dont understand iTunes. It is a legal music store. However there are some DRM limits. why? to prevent people from file sharing/emailing or burning copies of movies/tv shows for friends.

The limited mean that only the purchasing account can play back music or video. your computer or ipod device must be connected to the purchasing account. if it isnt it simply wont play.

my advice. have an account of your own. dont share them

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
have a look at the Terms of service for iTMS

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/service.html

You shall be authorized to use the Products on five Apple-authorized devices at any time

This means only you can use it on 5 Apple-authorized devices at any time.

also

Account and Password. As a registered user of the Service, you may receive or establish an account ("Account"). You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Account. You should not reveal your Account information to anyone else or use anyone else's Account. You are entirely responsible for all activities that occur on or through your Account, and you agree to immediately notify Apple of any unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security. Apple shall not be responsible for any losses arising out of the unauthorized use of your Account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.