Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
They might be better than some tv manufacturers in that respect though. We bought a Sony internet ready tv in 2010. By the end of 2011 it was no longer being updated. I think some new content was added, but it wasn't able to support newer versions of things like the BBC iPlayer.

And I know that all things will become unsupported at some point, but seeing as the whole 'internet connected' thing suggested some degree of future proofing with updates, that seemed a little quick.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It hasn’t been a hobby for a while. That’s marketing speak.

Well, the Chief Exec is still using the phrase... I meant it in the same sense that Tim Cook meant it... i.e. they still haven't worked out what the final product should look like. I'm hoping they've now figured that out!

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I don't want an Xbox. I would never use it enough for gaming to get my money's worth. If the new AppleTV does Airplay, has a faster processor, an app store, Siri integration, and 4k, for me, $149 would be a no-brainer. If it did cost an extra $50 for the controller, I would go ahead and get it. I might like to put on an arcade style game for some quick stress relief...even though I am not a "gamer".

The Nvidea Shield is selling for $199. I think that would be the main competition.

I'd never heard of the Shield TV before it was mentioned in this thread and having looked at videos about it all weekend, I'm probably leaning more towards that now than this new Apple TV.

The specs for it are amazing. And add in 4K and what you can sideload into it, it ticks all the boxes for me.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I'd never heard of the Shield TV before it was mentioned in this thread and having looked at videos about it all weekend, I'm probably leaning more towards that now than this new Apple TV.

The specs for it are amazing. And add in 4K and what you can sideload into it, it ticks all the boxes for me.
I am waiting to see if the Appletv is 4k. All of the rumors are saying that it isn't. Unless Apple can give me some other compelling feature that is missing from the Shield, I will most likely end up with a Shield, as well.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
It stutters al the time. So much, I cant listen to it anymore. Streaming HD video with better audio from apps like Youtube is no problem.

Apart form that, the quality literally hurts my ears. Try it yourself. Search for a HD (flac rip) on Youtube and compare that with the same song on Apple Music. You'll be shocked. One small detail: You need good speakers to hear the difference.
Idk man. Mine is crystal clear and sounds fine. I've got a 7.1 surround sound system and they both sound great.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
It stutters al the time. So much, I cant listen to it anymore. Streaming HD video with better audio from apps like Youtube is no problem.

Apart form that, the quality literally hurts my ears. Try it yourself. Search for a HD (flac rip) on Youtube and compare that with the same song on Apple Music. You'll be shocked. One small detail: You need good speakers to hear the difference.

Any and all audio on YouTube is horribly compressed. There's no lossless on it, they apply their own compression to any audio file uploaded to it... Even if you were to upload a 128 Kbps MP3 to it, it's going to get smacked down even more into oblivion.

256 AAC is transparent... That's all that matters. YouTube audio is very noticeably compressed, with any speakers.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You can say the same things for ATV.

Everything has an EOL. Please don't be brainwashed and buy everything Apple sells :)

I'm not seeing it, but even if it was true, it's a lot less expensive to replace a little box than a TV.

Seriously though, I'm still using my first generation ATV. It's still doing exactly what I purchased it to do, and it gets used several times per week. I can say the same for my second and third generation ATV's, as well as my Roku stream stick. They've all continued to perform well despite the age. I just had a conversation with my uncle over the weekend regarding his smart TV. Panasonic sent him an e-mail that they have discontinued support and that he should replace the unit with one of their new displays.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I wonder if the Airplay will be at 1080p this time. With the old AppleTV, watching photos airplayed from my iPad was pretty terrible in terms of image quality due to the screen resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.