Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
I think we have established that this rumor is most likely untrue...

They can't make a thinner and cheaper iMac with a quad-core CPU... Especially the Xeon chip...

As much as I hope I am wrong (and I wish I am), I doubt this will happen.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Quad core iMac - I doubt it but...

it would be nice. I was at a funeral on Tuesday and a person there who knows that I'm a Mac guy said, "I can't find a satisfying video editing solution on my PC and want to make the move to a Mac. I want to talk to you later about your recommendation."

Now, I know this guy and he's OCD with his camcorder. He's got only one son and takes more movie footage than you could believe of him.

The bottom line is that he doesn't have the $ for a MP and that left me recommending an iMac. The problem as always is that the gulf in performance between the 2 machines is astounding. Video encoding and rendering that takes just seconds or a couple of minutes on a MP is going to take a lot longer for him on an iMac and may degrade his experience.

I'd love for a high-end config quad-core iMac as a half-step in the performance gap between the two machines. But like I said, the chances of it happening are about as slim an the reported new iMac enclosure.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
Correct me if I'm wrong but don apple have enough problems getting a dual core in there and keeping it the same size. So they're gonna put in a higher temp processor with a smaller size?? How? Lol

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Good news if true. But I'm going to think about things for a little while before lowering my pessimism.

Zargot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Texas
Core i7 or bust!

I could probably convince my school district to buy 350 or so if they include Core i7 chips at the same price as the current lineup, but not for more Core 2 Duos when we can get Core 2 Quad systems for less... We're a Dell shop now but with no Core i7 in their business desktops yet this might be a chance for Apple to give a better value in the minds of the bean counters.

Oh, and a matte display option would be nice...

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
+1

If Quad Core and under $1000- will buy one in no time!.

Quad Core will probably on be in the more expensive models (i.e. dedicated VRAM). I don't see Apple putting a quad in a 20-inch shared graphics iMac...

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
iMac "Pro" ???

The only thing a Xeon in an iMac makes sense is if they go and build an iMac pro - essentially segregating the iMac into two lines like the laptops.

iMac: C2D 2.6-3GHz, 4GB, etc for $999-$1699
iMac Pro: Low power Xeon L3426 45W 4C/8T with turbo boost (1.86->3.2GHz in Turbo 1 core) for $1999 (the CPU is only $300 and its designed for 1U server applications which is about the same thermal performance of an iMac)

It could happen its not physically impossible to cram that chip in there...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
xeons will never happen in an imac

we have xeons in servers and the heat sinks are taller than the imac depth

The only thing a Xeon in an iMac makes sense is if they go and build an iMac pro - essentially segregating the iMac into two lines like the laptops.

iMac Pro: Low power Xeon L3426 45W 4C/8T with turbo boost (1.86->2.5GHz in Turbo 1 core) for $1999 (the CPU is only $300 and its designed for 1U server applications which is about the same thermal performance of an iMac)

Definitely not happening. iMac Pro? No way.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
FINALLY! I can't wait! I wonder how they gonna revolutionize mouse again.

Looking at their recent trends, they'll just add the two buttons that every other mouse has had for years, slap a couple of buzzwords on it, and make the fanboys wet their pants.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Yeah, how are they going to put a Xeon in the iMac AND make it thinner? That makes no sense.

Retain the current thickness for a new line... the iMac Pro!!!

(or not)

Like he just said:

iMac Pro: Low power Xeon L3426 45W 4C/8T with turbo boost (1.86->2.5GHz in Turbo 1 core) for $1999 (the CPU is only $300 and its designed for 1U server applications which is about the same thermal performance of an iMac)

pechspilz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I see some substance to the quad core rumor but definitely not with Xeon. The 1156 Lynnfield Nehalem socket seems to be the way to go for lower cost (mind you, the north bridge is in the CPU) better speed and saving some space at the same time. There's support for 4 cores (with/without HT) with Lynnfield Core i5 and i7, that would make it ideal for a redesigned iMac. Any notebook CPU would make an iMac look bad. And I don't think the Clarkdale is for the iMac either because of the integrated graphics processor. I see Clarkdale in the next Mac Mini.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Isn't the single core Turbo Boost on the L3426 going to be x24 for 3.2 GHz?

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
Just wait until people replace silicon with synthetic diamond... THEN I will believe they will make a quad core processor in there.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Quad cores? Xeon? Thinner? Tablets? New mouse? You're all wrong. Apple is secretly working on the fabled xMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.