Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Megapixels are a measure of how *LARGE* an image you can create. A 4MP camera displays all the resolution an ios device can display. Meaning if you take a photo and view it full size on your iphone or ipad without zooming, anything larger than 4MP will look no better than the 4MP image will (often it can look worse, as discussed below). An ipad retina screen is 2048 x 1536. A 4MP camera can capture 2,289x1712.

Now, if you have a larger than 4MP sensor, it can do things like have clearer zoomed images. So if you have an 8MP sensor, you can zoom in 200% and the image looks as clear as if you shot it that way at 4MP (this is called digital zoom-basically you are capturing extra data that is only visible when you zoom in). Therefore an argument can be made that slightly more than 4MP has a use, but it always comes with tradeoffs. Remember the awful, grainly, terrible photos your old ipod touch or iphone 3 would give you? That's because of poor light sensitivity. The higher the MP, the poorer the light sensitivity (sensors have improved over the years, so you have to compare sensors of the same time period). And of course one of the drawbacks is storage space. Pictures take up more space than anything else on my ios devices, and doubling sensor size quadruples storage space requirements.

In fact, super pro cameras often have low megapixels, because the picture *quality* is higher, you just can't have as large an image (ie it won't look as good zoomed in or printed on a huge poster).

Case in point:

Nikon D3300 is $499 for 24 MP
Nikon D4s is $6,000 for 16MP (their top of the line camera, even though it has "less megapixels! OMG!"

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

----------

I only want more megapixels if the sensors gets larger. Otherwise they will just make more noise and poor low light performance.

^^ Gets it.

The biggest drawback to using my phone as a camera vs my DSLR is its low light performance, which will only be worse with 12MP.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I could honestly care less about a 12MP camera...to tell you the truth I've probably taken 6 pictures in the eight months i've had my 6 Plus not including selfies! I use technology for everything but i'm not a picture taker at all! It could have 50MP lens such as the soon to be released Canon 5DSR and that wouldn't at all tempt me to upgrade. Give me more ram and a tri-core processor similar to the one in the Air 2 and it will be a must for me. Also an intuitive multitasking method in the next iOS update.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Whatever Samsung did with the S6's camera...yeah Apple should do that. The S6's camera pretty much smokes all competition including the iPhone.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
As long as it's gonna have 2GB RAM, which it does according to the report, I am gonna buy the next iPhone. Otherwise Force Touch, 12 MP camera, doesn't interest me much.

You realize that Force Touch opens the gate of a whole new class of interactions?

For example, in control center, we can force touch the wifi icon and open up in-depth settings, as opposed to going into the settings app.

In fact, if Apple doesn't implement the above application of force touch, I will be very disappointed.

There can be many more rich interactions. Mark my word, force touch is going to be the next big thing for iOS.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
You realize that Force Touch opens the gate of a whole new class of interactions?

For example, in control center, we can force touch the wifi icon and open up in-depth settings, as opposed to going into the settings app.

In fact, if Apple doesn't implement the above application of force touch, I will be very disappointed.

There can be many more rich interactions. Mark my word, force touch is going to be the next big thing for iOS.

That all sounds great, but what confuses me is why, with the functionality of say a long press, they can't make things like that happen already if they want to? What's the difference?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
That all sounds great, but what confuses me is why, with the functionality of say a long press, they can't make things like that happen already if they want to? What's the difference?

Because what constitute a long press for people (subjectively) is indeterminate (and too long too). With force touch, your not slowing down interactions and it is more distinct from other interactions, so there is less chance it will be done by accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.