Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Right, Apple also said it would never increase the size of the iPhone, who needed a bigger!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

The size of the iPhone was not limited by the law of physics. It was just limited by market demands, and that can change with time.

On the other hand, the number of pixels on a sensor of a given size is limited by the laws of physics (optics and quantum physics) and they tend not to change with time. It's not a matter of needing more pixels or not. It's a matter that beyond a certain threshold, it's stupid to add more pixels because they can't record meaningful information (due to diffraction induce by optics laws, due to base noise level induce by quantum physics...).

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Honestly, it doesn't matter until Apple includes support for RAW/DNG. and would it kill them to support 12/16 bits per pixel?

----------

Personally I'd rather have larger pixels and stick with 8MP, but 4K video is not entirely worthless on a bright sunny day.

I have used 3rd party apps to shoot 3K video with the current iPhone and the quality is significantly better than 1080p. Again, in optimal shooting conditions only.

You actually only need 9MP for 4K video, but the extra 3MP would allow for some image stabilization. If you shoot 3K with the current iPhone, no stabilization is possible.

Nope, you only need 8.3mp for 4k.

lucianmarin

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
I just hope it allows us to shoot at 16:9 instead of 4:3... I hate having to crop my 4:3 pictures into 16:9 and not have that wide angle view :mad:

You can shoot in 16:9 by double tapping the video. Works great on iPhone 4S.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's a matter that beyond a certain threshold, it's stupid to add more pixels because they can't record meaningful information (due to diffraction induce by optics laws, due to base noise level induce by quantum physics...).

The 1/3" sensor (if they continue to use it though) isn't maxed out yet. Even at 12MP the current set up is still viable. 1/3 sensors are essentially an 8x crop so it's current f/2.2 is a good choice for them.

Wide open at f/2.0 at 25cm focus distance targeting an 8x10 print
Pixel size is 1.2 µm
Max COC is 4.44 µm
Diameter of Airy Disk: 2.7 µm

Thus diffraction isn't at it's limit.

Now Noise and DR will be altered, but the current NR algorithms on the iPhone are very light and thus why we currently see some noise even at their base ISO. That said, they just need to amp up the NR a bit which they will likely do and they have room to do.

IMO it is still just a me-too game that would likely still put them behind the current competition but it would achieve their 4k with zoom capability and ability to market to that. Marketing....it's Apple's biggest play.

In the end, not surprising. The current camera technology they use isn't earth shattering and didn't introduce anything others haven't been using already so their just keeping up is expected.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
The size of the iPhone was not limited by the law of physics. It was just limited by market demands, and that can change with time.

On the other hand, the number of pixels on a sensor of a given size is limited by the laws of physics (optics and quantum physics) and they tend not to change with time. It's not a matter of needing more pixels or not. It's a matter that beyond a certain threshold, it's stupid to add more pixels because they can't record meaningful information (due to diffraction induce by optics laws, due to base noise level induce by quantum physics...).

Nokia has a 20 megapixel camera which is pretty high rated.......
I don't believe that optics are constrained by any size. It is just a matter of time before new technics / knowledge come available that will push the limited of what used to be possible yet further. Apple recently acquired an Israelian company that is supposed to provide HDR quality camera modules while being smaller than the current iPhone 6 camera (without the lens sticking out of the body).

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Nokia has a 20 megapixel camera which is pretty high rated.......
I don't believe that optics are constrained by any size.

No, there are absolutely constraints. It's not simply about the sensor though. Actual resolution captured depends on a lot of factors including sensor size/characteristics, lens and its characteristics too.

In the end the actual real world impact will visible but depending on the output medium and size of the output one might never see the impacts or see them as easily. Thus why I could push an image well into the diffraction zone vs another shot in the sweet spot and print or display both and you might never really see much of a difference. Output does matter too.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

It'll continue to improve, thanks to patents like this one.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

so, your saying only so many pixels can be on a sensor, after that, you must make bigger sensors..

This goes against also then what Apple says about "we can pack more pixels onto the same area", or does this only relate to the screen only ?

I would think it would work both ways.

However, the difference then would be Apple pushes it to the end, and then increases, when they *have* to, not when they just feel like it (aka to keep up with the little guy...)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Photos on iPhone 6 is great...... Aren't we good for that ? :)

Always room for improvement, but I ain't complaining.. And even if i was, just buy a better camera solves all problems.

But we all want convenient in a single device don't we. Well... we can't have it all.. (some day we have, but our dinner ain't here yet)

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
It'll continue to improve, thanks to patents like this one.

The fact that Apple managed to patent that just shows how stupid the whole patent affair currently is... What the patent shows is a periscope lens, this is nothing new, you had film camera with that in the 80s... It's unbelievable that the patent office actually accepted to register that - and it's a lawsuit waiting to happen if Apple ever put that patent into action.

Anyway, improvement here only comes from making the sensor bigger (and not that bigger since iPhones keep getting thinner and thinner) and from getting an optical zoom.

----------

so, your saying only so many pixels can be on a sensor, after that, you must make bigger sensors..

Well, you can keep pushing more pixels (actually photosites) into a tiny sensor, it will make the guys from marketing happy. But they won't increase image quality and might actually degrade it.

"This goes against also then what Apple says about " can pack more pixels onto the same area", or does this only relate to the screen only ?"

Yes, the screen in a different thing. Putting more pixels hurts the GPU and the battery, but that's all. After some point, the human eye can't distinguish them anymore.
The problem with the sensor and photosites is really that you have some physical limits : diffraction will limit resolution and the smaller the photosites, the higher the noise and the lower the dynamic range.

Anyway, most people do not need that many megapixels, this is really all about marketing. I used to have a 6mp DSLR (Nikon D200), and I made 40x60cm prints out of it. I even did some 60x90cm. The later are a bit difficult to pull, you don't have any room for crop, but they're doable. I even did some 40x60cm at 1600 ISO with careful post-processing.
That's to say you really don't need that many pixels - 40x60 is already pretty big and I doubt many iPhone users will print that big.

Other that making big prints, pixels are used for cropping - but then, you're also blowing up optical defaults from the lens. Just adding more and more pixels doesn't give limitless crop. Besides, You should really try to compose your shot, cropping after the fact should not be the norm.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Must be why Apple has been kicking other camera's ass since before 2013 then... Please get a clue.

What cameras? I think that is subjective.people like you will always think iphones camera is the best mobile camera on the market. Whereas other people will disagree.

8 mp on a camera is laughable. Yes there are other factors that go into a camera picture quality but mega pixel do matter.

If apple's camera is so great then just imagine the breath taking images it could take with a 12 or even 16 mega pixel camera.

----------

By reading this thread it is obvious that if it was up to these folks Apple would still be using a 2 mp camera on iphones.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
What cameras? I think that is subjective.people like you will always think iphones camera is the best mobile camera on the market.

You mean subjective people like DxO or DP Review ?

"8 mp on a camera is laughable. Yes there are other factors that go into a camera picture quality but mega pixel do matter."

8mp is what you had on Pro DSLR just a few years back. With that kind of resolution, you can print 40x60cm fine arts quite easily. You can You can also print the 4x3m billboards you see on the road or in the subway. You can also print full magazine covers.
I would not call that laughable. Moreover, I'm curious about how many smartphone owners actually print that big...
Most will only display photos on screen. And there are very few displays currently on the market with more than 8mp...

"If apple's camera is so great then just imagine the breath taking images it could take with a 12 or even 16 mega pixel camera."

You work for marketing ? You certainly have bought their snake oil...
Let's assume that you can actually capture the 12 or 16mp for real - which might not be the case, the resolution of the lens can be inferior or the JPEG compression might be destroying part of the extra resolution.
Why would they look different ? A 8mp and a 12mp photos displayed on the web at 600x400 pixels will look exactly the same... Both photos displayed on an iPhone 6+, which has only 2mp, will look the same. Actually, the 12mp version will look a little worse, because the extra pixels come with a price : more noise (but this won't be visible on print or on such a tiny screen as the iPhone 6+) and lower dynamic range (and *this* will be visible on even a tiny screen).

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
What cameras? I think that is subjective.

It really isn't. iPhone cameras consistently rank very highly.

If apple's camera is so great then just imagine the breath taking images it could take with a 12 or even 16 mega pixel camera.

That's not how optics work.

By reading this thread it is obvious that if it was up to these folks Apple would still be using a 2 mp camera on iphones.

Nope. The original iPhone's camera was quite poor. The 3GS's was OK. Starting with the 4, Apple has been competing very well.

MP is just one of several factors in that.

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
What about the front facing camera? 1.2 MP isn't cutting it anymore. 5 MP and 8 MP are becoming common. Wouldn't "selfie" camera functions sell more with the younger generation? A 5 MP camera with a wide camera lens would be great.

THIS x100! The iPhone rear/'iSight' camera is already very good and has been since the 4s (the first time I finally ditched my compact camera for daytime pics). The front facing camera remains just too low res to be anything other than passable when viewing on on instagram or such on your phone screen.

Selfies have exploded in popularity over the past 18 months, several of my friends even have selfie sticks for group pics... alas the quality of pic just doesn't cut it and it feels like in terms of quality we are going back 10 years. A 4mp+ front facing camera is becoming one of THE most important features currently for young people.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just hope it allows us to shoot at 16:9 instead of 4:3... I hate having to crop my 4:3 pictures into 16:9 and not have that wide angle view :mad:

I hate having to crop 16:9 photos to 4:3 so they look best on my iPad. See how that works?

It makes sense to up the MP because almost all Apple devices are retina now, but I really wish they would follow Samsung and Panasonic's lead with a 1" sensor.

----------

A smaller MP large sensor does more for your photos than higher MP small sensor so by reading your post its obvious you would be happy with a 2MP camera.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
You kinda still need to have sufficient internal storage to upload the content. With the OS as it is currently, you can elect to only store a minimally sized version on your phone after the upload, but the initial size requirement is still there.

Sufficient storage to even take the photo or video, yes. Hopefully at some point the minimum GB size of iPhones will go above 8 (iPhone 5c) and 16GB and get to 32/64 - then the problem goes away for many, due to wifi being able to sync the pictures and (much larger) videos.

scranton

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
LED Notification

I hope that the new iPhone finally get an front LED Notification where you can enable and disable. that would be soooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
How Apple bring the 4.7" screen to 1080p resolution at least. It been at the same resolution since iPhone 4!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
How Apple bring the 4.7" screen to 1080p resolution at least. It been at the same resolution since iPhone 4!

Sure, the PPI is the same, but it doesn't mean that the resolutions are the same. The 6 has at least a 720p-750p display and the 6+ has a 1080p display. Apple might have to give up on the Retina display model if they were to play display catchup with everyone since it won't conform to their ratio wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.