Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknrollme

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Lyon, FR
To all the fanboys above, I use TouchID like 100 times a day, and I get errors very often. The sensor is extremely accurate when working under "normal" conditions. But as soon as you finger is a little wet or dirty, the accuracy drops significantly.

So, to my understanding, a better and more accurate TouchID is possible, and this would be a nice add-on.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Touch ID on my 6 is working pretty flawlessly. 9 errors out of 10 are caused my my thumb not being centered on the button.

I was bothered by it at first, because I found myself having to switch hands to read the print if the phone wasn't in my right hand. After a "Duh!" moment, I simply added my left thumbprint and now it works in either hand. :eek:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
To all the fanboys above, I use TouchID like 100 times a day, and I get errors very often. The sensor is extremely accurate when working under "normal" conditions. But as soon as you finger is a little wet or dirty, the accuracy drops significantly.

So, to my understanding, a better and more accurate TouchID is possible, and this would be a nice add-on.

But when your finger gets dirty, it's obstructed from being read by the sensor. No amount of technology is going to fix that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Actually, my iPhone 6 has been nearly flawless. I've been pleasantly surprised because I've seen some 5S' have issues.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Unless this news was about it working with grime on your hand (no mention of that), not sure what your saying? The use of "fanboys" almost makes me doubt you actually have an Iphone... But, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ;-).

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
But when your finger gets dirty, it's obstructed from being read by the sensor. No amount of technology is going to fix that.

Technology already fixed that. Ever seen IR/UV photography? Dirt may obstruct the visible light spectrum, doesn't mean it obstruct other spectrums.

Touch ID is already designed to ignore the outer skin layer and anything that's on it, reading only the subdermal layers. Doesn't always work though.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
A next-generation product will have upgraded features from the current product?! NO WAY!

Bang up reporting Mac Rumors. You should write a post about how the iPhone 6S will have a faster processor and be cooler than the current iPhone. :rolleyes:

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
"Next-Generation iPhone Said to Feature Upgraded Touch ID With Reduced Errors"

So, now we know the title of U2's next album: Reduced Errors :rolleyes:

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I have the 6 and some of my friends have a 5s, it appears that mine is a lot more reliable. Mine only rejects me when there is moisture on either my finger or on the actual Touch ID sensor.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
reduced errors?

how the **** will that work?

mines been absolutely prefect.

TouchID works great 9 months out of the year for me. During the winter months, when my skin is dry, it's hit or miss.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Touch ID on my 6 is working pretty flawlessly. 9 errors out of 10 are caused my my thumb not being centered on the button.

I was bothered by it at first, because I found myself having to switch hands to read the print if the phone wasn't in my right hand. After a "Duh!" moment, I simply added my left thumbprint and now it works in either hand. :eek:

Ha ha. That is an even funnier "duh" moment than the intial complaints that the Apple Watch would only work for righties and that lefties would be "left" with the crown on the wrong side of the watch.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

I get frequent read errors in two situations: (1) with puffy, water-logged fingers after swimming or washing dishes and (2) with cold capillary-constricted fingers after running outside (in the winter). In these situations, first-time accuracy drops from 98% to 5% (estimated ;)). I don't regularly handle my iPhone with greasy or dirty fingers, so I can't testify as to how a little dirt or grease impacts accuracy.

So I agree that improvement is literally possible. I have no idea whether it is realistic given current technology.

P.S. I have both thumbs and both index fingers registered. Index fingers are natural when the iPhone or iPad is on a desk. Thumbs are natural when I'm holding one of them.

hannokm

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
I'm uneasy about what Ming-Chi Kuo mentions with regards to 'a safer Apple Pay' experience. It's as though he's implying or otherwise suggesting that the current implementation of Touch ID is not as secure as the Touch ID mechanism that could be arriving in iPhone 6s...

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Touch ID on my iPhone 6 is pretty hit or miss. Usually if it fails the first time I just enter the passcode. However, Touch ID with my work iPhone 5s is flawless.

Go figure.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
For those of you that complain about Touch ID not working when you're finger is wet, think about it. The channels between your ridges are filled with water, therefore your thumb print has changed. And yet, you're upset that Touch ID doesn't recognize a different pattern. Hmmm.

When I setup Touch ID, I tend to move my finger around to cover more surface area of my finger. And then, when it asks to scan the edges of your finger, put some serious angle on that, and go all the way around. I get, maybe, one unrecognized scan once a week.

Actually, for me, I've had to retrain myself on waking up my screen, because I've always used the home button to wake up the screen. Since I tend to keep my finger on the button the screen unlocks when all I really wanted was to see the existing notifications.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My Touch ID with Apple Pay works very well, but I do get the occassional "try again." So if the new Touch ID will reduce the number of times one get the "try again" message that would be an incremental improvement.

But the article said SAFER.... how is it not safe now? do people get injured today when they use Apple Pay or TouchID? what am I missing here?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The next Apple hardware product is going to be better than the one it replaced. Wow what a shock. :eek:

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
reduced errors?

how the **** will that work?

mines been absolutely prefect.

Well, dang! Good for you then.
Mine has been unreliable.
It only works 7/10 of the time when my finger is perfectly dry.
It NEVER works when there is even a slight hint of moisture in my finger, be it sweat or water. That means the touch ID works less than 25% of the time when I needed the darn thing to work.

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Ever since I programmed all available fingerprint slots to a single finger (my right thumb) I've never had a single misread or error with Touch ID unless my finger or the sensor is wet. Not saying it should have to be like that but that method does seem to work really well.

You would have had the same reliability using only one slot if you had just taken the time spent on training those other slots on overtraining the first one.
http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-you-heres-fix

The short of it is just open the TouchId setting page (where it lists the configured fingers). Then keep scanning your finger while that page is open and you will see it light up the corresponding finger. Each one of those scans is adding training just as if you were setting up an additional slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.