Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
seems that Nvidia, like with 680MX will prepare 980MX and 970MX that can probably be included with the next imac upgrade
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-geforce-gtx-980mx-970mx/

The TDP of the GeForce GTX 980MX will be similar to the 125W on the GeForce GTX 980M.

so the same with M295x so ..27" imac can support that card

Boy it would be lovely to have those in the iMacs. Mouth-watering if they had them in the rMBPs (which just wouldn't happen due to battery life concerns).

But considering the cost I don't think it's something they'd offer -- sadly Apple seem to be moving more towards integrated cards on all but the most expensive BTOs.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
seems that Nvidia, like with 680MX will prepare 980MX and 970MX that can probably be included with the next imac upgrade
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-geforce-gtx-980mx-970mx/

The TDP of the GeForce GTX 980MX will be similar to the 125W on the GeForce GTX 980M.

so the same with M295x so ..27" imac can support that card
I want an iMac with an upgradable GPU. Its BS that i effectively have to bin my iMac every 3 years.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Boy it would be lovely to have those in the iMacs. Mouth-watering if they had them in the rMBPs (which just wouldn't happen due to battery life concerns).

But considering the cost I don't think it's something they'd offer -- sadly Apple seem to be moving more towards integrated cards on all but the most expensive BTOs.
680MX had probably the same price for Apple so i dont worry about that, i wonder only if Apple will remain with amd even this year.
iGPU are better and better but still only on par with dGPU from 15" MBP and 21.5" iMac that used to have same dGPU like 15" MBP. 27" its another league

makrom

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2015
I want an iMac with an upgradable GPU. Its BS that i effectively have to bin my iMac every 3 years.

I'm sure Apple trembles in fear by the thought of people frequently buying new Macs. They would instantly make the GPU replaceable to avert that.

Reactions: UniDoubleU

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I'm sure Apple trembles in fear by the thought of people frequently buying new Macs. They would instantly make the GPU replaceable to avert that.
personally think we need a plug and play iMac at a reasonable base price. Mac pros are out of reach of the casual consumer now whereas in the past this wasn't an issue.

and your right apple don't care as they have ALL the money. Im being forced into a Hackingtosh which is not ideal.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
i think polaris is better only at opencl than 980MX
nvidia is better at thermal opengl so overheating will not be so huge like it was in m295x

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
since when ? yes they prefer OpenCl but not bad chips, overheating products etc
since 680mx and 780m were 2 years on nvidia, Apple is not fixed for amd

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
since when ? yes they prefer OpenCl but not bad chips, overheating products etc
since 680mx and 780m were 2 years on nvidia, Apple is not fixed for amd

So? And before those two years there was how many years with ATI in Mac minis and iMacs? 7? Before that it was Nvidia again.
There is no indication Apple is switching to nvidia, so why post a "probably" when it should at the best be "hopefully"?

Have you seen Polaris TDPs? From what I understand it can achieve the same performance as the gtx950 at about half the power. If so it should easily be about the same performance as the 980MX with the same or even lower tdp if it scales well.

Apple will go with the one that offers the lowest price for the best performance/watt ratio.
It's just hopeful thinking posting a "probably will use nvidia" when you have no indication at all towards that statement...

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
gtx950 is not on par with 980MX not even with 980M...common
its rumoured that 980MX will be like desktop 980
polaris..
nvidia made 680mX specially only for imac. maybe this time nvidia will make 980MX again for the imac

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
gtx950 is not on par with 980MX not even with 980M...common
its rumoured that 980MX will be like desktop 980
polaris..
nvidia made 680mX specially only for imac. maybe this time nvidia will make 980MX again for the imac

980MX will be on par with gtx970...

And if the Polaris can be on par with the GTX950 at half the TDP, what do you think it can do at the same TDP as the 980MX? Personally i believe it to be a real contender.

Remember, the Polaris demo at CES was with an unfinished product, which probably didn't run at full speed and not anywhere near completed state.

Are you hellbent on Nvidia being in the next iMac because you personally want it to be that way or for some other reasons? As I said, there is no indication that Apple is about to switch to Nvidia...

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Half TDP? that mean Polaris will have 60 TDP for the high end mobile gpu? not a chance...now M295x and M395x use 120 TDP.
if you have a link where they show polaris high end mobile gpu at 60 TDP plz post it for me to read it

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
Half TDP? that mean Polaris will have 60 TDP for the high end mobile gpu? not a chance...now M295x and M395x use 120 TDP.
if you have a link where they show polaris high end mobile gpu at 60 TDP plz post it for me to read it

Do you even read what I write?
Half the TDP of the GTX950 for the same performance, the GTX950 isn't "High performance" nor mobile chip, this was demonstrated at CES (well, rather the power consumption was about half, but reported as TDP, but the total consumption is actually a good indicator of the future TDP as well).

Please note that you can't just look at TDP numbers alone, Nvidia and AMD historically has measured them a bit differently from each other. But anyway: GTX 950 system vs Polaris system:

86W compared to 140-160 might not be 50% exactly, but rather 53-60%, but still almost half...

But my guess? Yes, it will totally blow the M395x out of the water with the same TDP.

Both GPUs handled the game admirably pulling 60fps at 1080p, but the Polaris GPU absolutely smoked the GTX 950 in cumulative TDP pulling a bare 86 watts on average compared to the 950 which clocked out at around 140-160 watts.
[doublepost=1453155513][/doublepost]At the time Polaris is released, Nvidia will be releasing their Pascal platform as well, making the Maxwell based 980MX:s yesterdays news anyway. Why would Apple go for the previous generation if both AMD and Nvidia releases new generations this summer?

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
because by October Nvidia will not release the high end Pascal dGPU.
ANd why you are talking about polaris vs 950M or gtx 950? on 27" imac only high end dGPU will be available. So no mid range dGPU, 21.5" imac from now on it will use iGPU, 27" high end dGPU and the only mac with mid range maybe just maybe will remain the BTO 15" MBP

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
That is just one of the GPUs that are going to be released in mid 2016, and it happens to be the one AMD used to do demo. At least AMD so far says there are two different die designs coming in mid 2016 - one is Polaris 10 that focuses on "console class gaming in thin and light notebooks" and another is Polaris 11 for the "premium graphics market". But I doubt they are going to release a Fury class flagship (in terms of chip scale, not real performance) on the first wave of 16/14nm graphics product. It is also possible that they are rolling out even more at the end of the year, which would likely be the time of an iMac refresh launch.

An interesting fact is that the R9 M395 and M395X are just differently configured SKUs of a chip that can eat 190+ watts (R9 285/380/380X). Moreover, since Apple isn't using MXM in iMac, it is up to them to pack whatever GPUs into the iMac.

Last edited:

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-geforce-gtx-980mx-970mx/...

This thread title says "Next iMac upgrade probably will use Nvidia". I read the article and I don't see any basis for claiming the next iMac will probably use nVidia. It does not even mention Apple or AMD. Did I miss something?

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
This thread title says "Next iMac upgrade probably will use Nvidia". I read the article and I don't see any basis for claiming the next iMac will probably use nVidia. It does not even mention Apple or AMD. Did I miss something?
No, OP basically pulled the "probably" out of his ...
[doublepost=1453206340][/doublepost]
because by October Nvidia will not release the high end Pascal dGPU.
ANd why you are talking about polaris vs 950M or gtx 950? on 27" imac only high end dGPU will be available. So no mid range dGPU, 21.5" imac from now on it will use iGPU, 27" high end dGPU and the only mac with mid range maybe just maybe will remain the BTO 15" MBP

I wrote about Polaris vs gtx950 because that was the tech demo amd showed at CES. I can't very well pull statements out of my ass and start stating that it will blow gtx980 out of the water with 10W tdp can I? I have to go by the numbers and the fact presented. And that is currently that the Polaris performs atleast on par with the gtx950 with about half the power consumption.

If Polaris scales well it should be able to keep up with the 980MX with the same or even lower TDPs.

Answer my question: why are you so hellbent on Apple ditching AMD? Have you seen any indication at all towards this?

There is however rumors on Apple working with AMD for a SOC/APU for future MacBooks. If that is the truth I can promise you that Apple will make sure to stay close to AMD in other areas as well. Why? Better pricing and probably better drivers/Performance as Apple can focus on optimizing OS X for one dGPU manufacturer instead of two

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see any basis for claiming the next iMac will probably use nVidia.
Poor choice of words, I assume. There's no evidence that apple is going down that path. Its just his opinion that apple may (or should).

While I prefer nVidia, I don't see apple switching gears just yet.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
I prefer Nvidia myself, always been a nvidia fan ever since the Geforce 2, before that I was all for 3DFX Voodoo cards (of which I had owned the Voodoo, Voodoo 2 and the Banshee).

But I can't see any reason for Apple to switch to nvidia again, they would have nothing to lose on sticking to AMD for a few more years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But I can't see any reason for Apple to switch to nvidia again, they would have nothing to lose on sticking to AMD for a few more years.
I'm also assuming Apple has a nice business arrangement with them, that might make it difficult to get out of. I'm just conjecturing on that but business relationships are usually built upon contracts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.