Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If thats the case then i don't think i'll be upgrading. Same screen and new propriety connector?

Pass. Couldn't care less about LTE/4G.

moetownslick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
regardless of this rumor, i still think the 5 will have a bigger screen. it just seems like the right time for apple to increase the size.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Still only 3.5"? I have an android phone with a 4.3" screen, it holds in my hand just fine. Don't know until you try.

Accepting of course we all have different ways of holding the phone and different lengths of fingers, I have rather long fingers and my Galaxy S the pull down notification center requires effort to access.

Regardless of ergonomics a 5th screen size (3.5", 3.5" retina, 9.7", 9.7" retina) would be difficult to justify for developers the value add for consumers is low.

Personally I want faster response times, better oleophobic coating and thinner glass. That illusion of directly manipulating objects on the screen is far more impressive than a bigger screen.

No way will they keep 3.5" screen, it's far too outdated.

If by outdated you mean the form factor that takes the top 3 spots in the best selling phone last year.

xxDory

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
See Ya...

Huge Apple fan with a current 3GS phone. I skipped the 4s upgrade specifically because of the smaller screen, lack of LTE, and NFC functionality. If they do keep the smaller screen, I will absolutely jump to the Galaxy S III due to come out later this year.

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
it's as if the rumor sites are ignoring one fact. Apple builds lots of different prototypes. they try new things all the time. they even use them to find leaks sometime. make a fake case design and see who bites, then fire them.

it was doubtless true that there was a 4" metal backed model in contention last summer. there doubtless is today. there doubtless is a model with a smaller dock and one with new hardware in the 4S case. there are LTE models in the works, finding vague text strings and saying "look what we found" amazing news is ignorant of the process.

what most people need to remember is with every option they will compare the costs savings and potential new expense of the change, look at potential sales number and the downside, such as do you need to bundle a new adaptor if forcing a sale of one would lose more customers than the profit off the adaptor.

and then there's the software ecosystem. If you go 4" do you annoy every developer by needing two app phone UI versions? how do you handle that an iphone app isn't an iphone app any more? do you sacrifice retina and keep the pixel number the same? they're all the same questions with multiple ipad sizes

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Still only 3.5"? I have an android phone with a 4.3" screen, it holds in my hand just fine. Don't know until you try.

I think plenty of us have tried. ;)

jrv16dsc00116-1326163364.jpg

Last edited:

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Just a rumor folks.
But if this is true, it seems like a minor improvement.
LTE is the only real reason to get the phone and that is not a big enough upgrade for many.
Now adding a bigger screen would have been a big hit for many.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Just a rumor folks.
But if this is true, it seems like a minor improvement.
LTE is the only real reason to get the phone and that is not a big enough upgrade for many.
Now adding a bigger screen would have been a big hit for many.

I thought LTE was one of the most amazing things ever and what made Android so great hehe. Now it's just a minor improvement, huh? :D

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
T-Mobile really deserves to get the iPhone. As much as I hate the iPhone, it should be available for those who want it.

I say that because my little sister wants it. Shes with Wind Mobile in Canada which uses the same 1700mhz/2100mhz AWS bands as T-Mobile.

tCruzin4lyfe

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I don't see how people think 4" screen is too big. I'd say leave it at that, 4.6" is way too much but the iPhone needs some more screen space (better gaming, viewing movies, etc.). They could actually keep the phone around the same size, it doesn't have to be humongous just to add more screen. So I think this rumor is false, they will increase the size of the screen with this years iPhone... I hope so anyway. And like most said 4G LTE is a given but I use wifi most of the time.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.

The issue for me is not how it fits in your hand but how it fits in your pocket. I used to be an advocate for larger screens, but then I got a BB Bold 9900 at work. Larger screens suck if they result in bulky phones.

My two cents: Any screen that increases the dimensions of the current iPhone should be avoided.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well if true, not enough for me to upgrade. I'll stick with my iPhone 4 and be happy.
I agree. LTE doesn't even work here and the new connector will break all the accessoires you have. A new design won't win me over.

I'll hold on to my iPhone 4, or I'll switch.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

I'm glad apple is sticking to the smaller form factor. Those 4.3"+ gigantor android/windows phones are big, bulky, they eat battery life and theyre nowhere near as easy on a front jeans pocket.

I used to have a Nokia e71, I wish more phones were that size. 114mm x 57mm x 10mm; lightly smaller than the iPhone. I loved it (and its QWERTY keyboard)

I say this as someone that uses an Android phone (HTC MyTouch 4G).

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No way will they keep 3.5" screen, it's far too outdated.

How exactly does a size get outdated? It's about functionality for an intended purpose. That's like saying 13" screens on laptops are outdated because 17" screen exist. Makes no sense.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
- Similar if not same sized screen (currently 3.5-inch but not set in stone)

Aw man!

I'm not buying an iPhone until the screen is, in fact, set into a stone frame! This metal/glass binding we have now is ridiculous.

If you haven't used stone to build the phone, you've failed.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I'm happy with current design, but I really, really want LTE and 4"ish screen. I really hope they don't stick with 3.5". I agree with the kind of apps running now (iMovie, etc) they really need that extra .5".

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Huge Apple fan with a current 3GS phone. I skipped the 4s upgrade specifically because of the smaller screen, lack of LTE, and NFC functionality. If they do keep the smaller screen, I will absolutely jump to the Galaxy S III due to come out later this year.

(nothing personal, there's plenty of other people who wrote the same thing I could have picked you just had three good examples)

Obviously since it was the #1 phone with three carriers and in the US in total their decision to not support your exact needs was not business critical. The largest percentage of people in the US looking for a smartphone decided the iPhone 4S features were the best out there for their needs. Which makes Apple's decisions to be the right one.

I'll give screen size as subjective/personal.

NFC is a gimmic still. It's the future but today you can hardly find places to support it and even then you have to pick which NFC technology you want to use.

LTE is hardly on people's radar. Remember how many people called the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4G. Verizon and AT&T are pushing gibberish for the average person. Ask the average geek and besides "fast" what could they really tell about it that isn't marketing text? Even using it as a requirement can arguably be bad. It's an immature technology that sucks battery and empties data limits as the carriers have them today.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
What about this quote, I just saw this morn'n?

"(Reuters) - Apple Inc's new iPhone will have a sharper and bigger 4.6-inch "retina" display and is set to be launched around the second quarter, a South Korean media reported on Thursday."
Is it a false article? hmmmmm

Do a little bit of research and find out the track record of "South Korean media" as a source for Apple rumors.

Yes, that article is crap.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Needs a bigger screen. The iPhone looks dwarfed next to competitors. With all the multitasking, new apps like garageband, iPhoto, we need every half inch we can get.

I just use my iPad for those types of things. I'm OK with having a device too big to make calls and a device too small to edit home movies. Especially considering one of them is a phone and one of them isn't. I just want them both to work well.

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
This is it. If Apple can't get their heads out of sand then I'm moving on elsewhere.

How long do they think they can milk the same old boring design not to mention the severely lacking tiny screen?

Competition will leave Apple in the dust soon. Seems that innovation at Apple died the same day Steve did. Shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.