Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What do you think the chances are that Apple will ditch Lightning and opt for USB C starting this fall for the iPhone? (And following suit with the iPad too.)

Personally I think they will stick with lightning for the next 2 years but USB C would allow for a potential new universal standard for headphone jacks in the future.
Slim to none.
IPad Pro(with Lightning updated to usb3.0 spec), Apple Pencil.
Apple is fully committed to Lightning.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'd be willing to place my life savings on the fact that Apple will continue using lightning for many years to come, except in the MacBook.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'd be willing to place my life savings on the fact that Apple will continue using lightning for many years to come, except in the MacBook.

But they should seriously consider moving forward. Especially given that they most likely will boot the headphone jack on the next iPhone.

If USB C becomes standard on all smartphones/tablets/laptops in the near future then it will make the transition from 3.5 mm headphone jack to USB C a lot more seamless.

Reactions: na1577

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
USB-C is much thicker than lighting. It would be a step back for Apple to incorporate USB-C. It wouldn't make sense ditching the 3.5mm jack and adding USB-C for that reason.

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
I don't think there are any advantages whatsoever. USB-C 3.1 is faster than the Lightning connector found on the iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2. The iPad Pro however also uses USB 3 speeds via the Lightning connector. When Apple incorporates the USB 3 speeds in the Lightning connector in their upcoming devices then there wouldn't be a difference anymore, except for Lightning having a smaller form factor.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
USB-C is much thicker than lighting. It would be a step back for Apple to incorporate USB-C. It wouldn't make sense ditching the 3.5mm jack and adding USB-C for that reason.
I feel like 'much' is an exaggeration.

Like I said before, it would make sense with respect to the headphone jack. USB-C can become a new universal port for the headphone jack. Lightning cannot.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel like 'much' is an exaggeration.

Like I said before, it would make sense with respect to the headphone jack. USB-C can become a new universal port for the headphone jack. Lightning cannot.

"Universal standards" hurt apples bottom line.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
This would be the best great thing Apple could do, add USB type C connectivity to future iPhone iteration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.