Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm considering selling my 16GB iPhone 4s to buy this. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for how much I could get for it?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Engadget and Verge reviews are up. Still checking others.

The one big difference between the two reviews is Engadget says battery life is poor based on their video-running test (but they got through a full day) while the Verge says "great battery life" and was an improvement from the Galaxy Nexus. Wonder what caused the Nexus to do poorly on Engadget's video-test.

Weird disparity. EDIT: There's a lot of rumbling that the test unit that LG supplied did not have the latest software build which might have caused battery leak. Gizmodo and many other tech sites mention this.

They both highlight the lack of LTE, which I'm sure Google expected, but I hope this will urge them to forge those important relationships with the carriers to get LTE/CDMA specific versions out there eventually.

They also point out the glass back being a potential decision mistake. Odd how it wasn't a mistake for Apple two years in a row.

Other than that, everything else sounds great.

Last edited:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Engadget and Verge reviews are up. Still checking others.

The one big difference between the two reviews is Engadget says battery life is poor based on their video-running test (but they got through a full day) while the Verge says "great battery life" and was an improvement from the Galaxy Nexus. Wonder what caused the Nexus to do poorly on Engadget's video-test.

Weird disparity.

They both highlight the lack of LTE, which I'm sure Google expected, but I hope this will urge them to forge those important relationships with the carriers to get LTE/CDMA specific versions out there eventually.

They also point out the glass back being a potential decision mistake. Odd how it wasn't a mistake for Apple two years in a row.

Other than that, everything else sounds great.

You beat me to it! I was just about to post links to the reviews, but it was already here!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Josh said in the verge cast yesterday that his fell off of his kitchen table and cracked the back glass.

----------

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3586612/the-vergecast-is-live-today-at-1-30-pdt-4-30-edt-8-30-gmt

That is the link to the verge cast. They had some difficulties with the hurricane but I think it's 40 to an hour in. Sorry I don't know exactly. I'll look for the other reviews link too.

Edit: so it wasn't the Nexus 4 but it was the Optimus G. So pretty much the same glass back. Here is the link.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/15/lg-optimus-g-review-att/

The weird thing is the guy from droid life says he didn't drop it so he doesn't know how it broke. That is very concerning.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If there's one thing that's consistent with all the reviews I've read so far, it's that Jelly Bean 4.2 is phenomenal.

Google Now and voice search is unflinchingly reliable and quick, everyone loves Quick Settings, gesturing typing is a good new typing option, Photo Sphere is refreshing and works well, some minor Gmail improvements (mail experience on Gmail is already so good), great new camera UI...

In short, there's no other point and time where iOS has looked so dated and behind. Ive has his work cut out for him, and I hope it's not just undoing the aesthetic changes implemented by Forestall. iOS is going to be in dire straits next year if iOS 7 doesn't seriously bring it.

It's really a shame LG shipped an unfinished build to reviewers. Guess that can't be helped if you want early reviews. They never got to test multiple-user accounts on tablets nor widgets on the lock screen (which I think will be great).

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
If there's one thing that's consistent with all the reviews I've read so far, it's that Jelly Bean 4.2 is phenomenal. Google Now and voice search is unflinchingly reliable and quick, everyone loves Quick Settings, gesturing typing is a good new typing option, Photo Sphere is refreshing and works well, some minor Gmail improvements (mail experience on Gmail is already so good)...

In short, there's no other point and time where iOS has looked so dated and behind. Ive has his work cut out for him, and I hope it's not just undoing the aesthetic changes implemented by Forestall. iOS is going to be in dire straits next year if iOS 7 doesn't seriously bring it.

I was never worried about the software. It's the hardware that I'm concerned about, namely battery life and the glass back.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I was never worried about the software. It's the hardware that I'm concerned about, namely battery life and the glass back.

Apparently, the test units LG sent out did not have the most updated software. There's rumblings of battery leak.

But even with battery leak, over at Engadget, the video-test didn't fare so well, but the device lasted them the full day. I suspect with finalized software, that full day will be easily reached.

The Verge sang praises for the battery:
Battery life was also top notch. I'm used to getting just about a day of use on my Galaxy Nexus (that's taking it off of the charger around 8AM or 9AM, and putting it back on around 2AM). Some days it doesn't quite make it that long, depending on my workload. The Nexus 4 fared much better. At the time of this writing, I've had it off of its charger for 10 hours and 30 minutes and it's still got 45 percent battery life. Yesterday before I plugged it in, I'd had it off the charger for 16 hours, with 18 percent of its juice left. To say it's holding up for full work days would be an understatement; even with heavy use, this battery more than pulls its weight

As for the glass... that's really up to people to determine how big a factor that is. Millions of people seemed to reconcile it with the 4 and 4S for two years. I myself was never a major opponent of the glass of the 4/4S, and in fact, till this day, I still hold the white 4S has one of the best looking backs. You'll just have to either get a good case like most iPhone users did/do, or be extremely careful. (What I did with my 4S, by the way, was get a clear skin.)

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
They never got to test multiple-user accounts on tablets nor widgets on the lock screen (which I think will be great).

Actually, widgets on the lock screen have been a possibility since Froyo. Third party developers always have had the option , but there have been few that have made use of this.

Here is the Executive Assistant app that I have been using since Froyo on my lock screen

yduzurad.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Actually, widgets on the lock screen have been a possibility since Froyo. Third party developers always have had the option , but there have been few that have made use of this.

Here is the Executive Assistant app that I have been using since Froyo on my lock screen

I knew you could add a few things here and there with certain lock widgets, but I never knew you could full out dump widgets on top of lock screens.

Awesome.

----------

Regarding the responsiveness of the Nexus 4:

"I can say that performance and responsiveness on the device is second to none. It's a very speedy phone that barely ever hesitated or failed to respond to my touches or commands. In particular, multitasking between a number of applications was no issue for the phone, buoyed up — I presume — by that generous 2GB of RAM."
- The Verge

"Software" and "Performance" got perfect 10's.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
So LTE is holding back these "expert" reviews from buying this as their main device. I am in a great LTE area but I am on wifi 90% of the time.

What does everyone think? Still buying?? Is the lack of LTE too much?

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
So LTE is holding back these "expert" reviews from buying this as their main device. I am in a great LTE area but I am on wifi 90% of the time.

Same situation I'm in. On WiFi 90% of the time. Even when I'm out and about, my LTE flickers when I'm inside a building, causing me to drop to HSPA+ anyway. Nothing is more frustrating when my Note is showing me 2 bars of LTE and doing squat. Next moment (about 20 seconds alter after thinking about it) my Note will switch to HSPA+ and work beautifully. I'll take the HSPA+ only and take a good stable connection over a one that switches back and fourth any day. That and it kills my battery, and my Note sure sucks down the power like no body's business. The switching is both annoying and killing my battery.

Also, while I'm out, I don't use anything data intensive anyway. Everything refreshed just fine on my iPhone 4 on 3G and my Atrix with Faux-4g. So for me personally, this is my next. Only question is when do they go on sale. Yes i know the 13th, but when on the 13th. I'd like to get it that week if possible, but defiantly before turkey day when i have to start traveling.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010

The tech journalists are making way too big of a deal out of there be no LTE in the Nexus 4.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
The tech journalists are making way too big of a deal out of there be no LTE in the Nexus 4.

I think the reason they are doing that is because most of tech journalists live in either New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. More so the former than the latter. From what I can tell, those are also the places where AT&T HSPA+ is a pile, so their results are a bit skewed. I also don't know where the Chicago people have issues. I've been in the suburbs, Chinatown and around the airport with no issues on HSPA with AT&T.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Is the lack of LTE too much?

Not for me. :)

I think Google needs to eventually work with carriers but for now HSPA+, especially on Tmobile, is already a winner in terms of getting great speeds and great battery life. Not to mention, keeping it on HSPA+ will help manage data caps.

The two things I was keeping a close eye on was the screen and the camera. Both are reportedly very good, rivaling what's out on the market now (Engadget said the camera was comparable to the S3!). And either way, they're both huge improvements over the Galaxy Nexus screen/camera.

And the value... Very difficult to say no to such specs for such a price and without needing to worry about a 2 year commitment. The only thing that I'm waiting for is 32GB...

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
The lack of LTE is a non-issue for me because I live in England, where getting 3G is a struggle sometimes. The glass back is also a non-issue because I have an iPhone 4S at the moment, and it's fine. Iv never dropped a phone and I don't plan on starting now.

So basically these reviews are saying there are no negatives... I see. Oh boy, tempting tempting.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I think the reason they are doing that is because most of tech journalists live in either New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. More so the former than the latter. From what I can tell, those are also the places where AT&T HSPA+ is a pile, so their results are a bit skewed. I also don't know where the Chicago people have issues. I've been in the suburbs, Chinatown and around the airport with no issues on HSPA with AT&T.

I have a suspicion that their calling out the lack of LTE is a wake up call to Google. Josh Topolsky said more or less himself that he hopes Google will work with the carriers.

I'm in agreement. Beyond the few that appreciate unlocked devices, the lack of LTE and the lack of carrier visibility will hurt the Nexus branding and Google. People shop phones through their carriers, and if they don't see it offered, they simply won't know about it or won't consider it. Most people are okay with being locked into 2 years because they're so used to that being the norm (and there's nothing wrong about that for many).

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012

The way i look at this is that if the two of us were paying the same monthly bill on the same carrier, but I was getting a lower service than you because my phone did not support it, I would be upset with my phone. To that extent, I think the tech boys are right to be concerned.

For people not on contract or don't have LTE though , this is a great proposition

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I will never sign a phone contract again in this lifetime. The Nexus 4 simply gives the best bang for the buck for a US based smartphone. I barely talk on the phone and prepaid with tmobile is the best deal for me. I can't wait to order mine!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Apparently LTE charges in the UK are quite steep (I haven't checked them), my carrier wont get it till late next year anyway and TBH, the coverage ATM is only in selected cities in the UK, which IMHO is a bit of a waste because most cities are awash with free wifi, get LTE out in the country where there is no wifi coverage, then Ill start listening.

For me, no LTE is definitely not a deal breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.