Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
So I have been using the iPhone 5, but I just can't stomach these cell bills anymore. It's just plain stupid to pay these prices in America on AT&T or Verizon if you are on a single plan. I am really thinking about just cancelling my AT&T contract, selling my iPhone 5, and using the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 a month plan.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I need to send you a PM to see how you end up hashing this out. I have an upgrade available through AT&T which would make the Note 2 $300. Obviously we already know the pricing of the Nexus. I have never used LTE here but from the coverage map my city has it.

I think for me its going to come down to some hands on time with the Note 2 to see if its just too big.

Ive played around with the Note II at sprint and tmobile stores and even though its big, size isnt much of an issue. Feels comfortable, light and easy to hold.

Ill probably wait for some in depth reviews of the Nexus before I decide. Ive seen plenty of raving reviews and features of the Note. Cant wait to see what people have to say about the Nexus. So far its been mainly a quick overview of the device. Nothing in depth yet.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
So I have been using the iPhone 5, but I just can't stomach these cell bills anymore. It's just plain stupid to pay these prices in America on AT&T or Verizon if you are on a single plan. I am really thinking about just cancelling my AT&T contract, selling my iPhone 5, and using the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 a month plan.

I know that feeling. We have Wind here in Canada and its very comparable to T-Mobile (AWS, cheap plans, but less coverage). I might do it when the Nexus 4 comes out...we'll see.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006

Isn't the $30 a month just for data? When you add on your talk and text wouldnt you be right back into the approx $100/month AT&T range?

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Android peeps, is the extra 8 gb worth it? I don't keep alot of apps on my iphone 4, i stream most of my music from rdio. i take photos, but not a whole lot. I probably could just upload photos to drive, right?

Are the android apps super big compared to the iOS? my main ones are flipboard, FB, nike+, and rdio.

Well, the OS will take up 3 gb of that 8. You will be left with 5 gb to play with.

Android apps are not too huge. For the apps you mention, 5 gb will be fine.

But keep in mind that we are talking about a Nexus here. Rooting and flashing different roms will be very easy . If you get into that, you will need space to store your backups. 5 gb will in no way be sufficient. If you don't see yourself getting into flashing roms, then 5 gb is fine.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Isn't the $30 a month just for data? When you add on your talk and text wouldnt you be right back into the approx $100/month AT&T range?

No, T-Mobile has a $30 plan for unlimited data, text, and 100 minutes. And their other plans are pretty fairly priced.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Would you be able to keep your number or get a new one?

The trick here is to order a sim card online at http://www.T-Mobile.com and activate it online. The $30 plan is not available in retail stores (except Walmart) . Once you receive and activate the sim card, you can call tmobile and request transfer of your old number.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Sorry I could not find if this information has been mentioned yet; did they announce a preorder date for the USA? I see both Google Play and T-Mobil just have a "let me know when" option...before the holidays I hope...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Sorry I could not find if this information has been mentioned yet; did they announce a preorder date for the USA? I see both Google Play and T-Mobil just have a "let me know when" option...before the holidays I hope...

You can buy it on November 13th. Doesn't look like pre-orders, just that's the date it's available to buy/ship.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
That is a very good hands-on review. I actually liked the design of the Galaxy Nexus, but this is so much better. Cool how the back kind of changes.

I think most Android phone designs are kind of crap. But I think Motorola gets it right.

I'm still contemplating leaving Verizon for this phone. But I want it the more and more I read.

Agreed. The one downside is LTE but there are like 5-10 pros that will hopefully outweigh that one con.

Edit: what I will say is that I now know of two reviewers that have broken the glass back on the Nexus and that is just so unfortunate. Josh from the verge is the second one to break it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Agreed. The one downside is LTE but there are like 5-10 pros that will hopefully outweigh that one con.

Edit: what I will say is that I now know of two reviewers that have broken the glass back on the Nexus and that is just so unfortunate. Josh from the verge is the second one to break it.

How did they break them?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Now you've got me worried! I almost always had my iPhone 4/4S in a bumper or case and I was planning on using the Nexus 4 naked. Can you please post a link of where you read these people breaking them.

It's funny because in the interview Josh asked Duarte if he's worried about people breaking them.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah, I'd like to see a link where reviewers are talking about breaking them. That can't be good if it shatters so easily. But I guess my only complaint about the design is the chrome border of the phone. In some photos it looks good, but in some it doesn't look that great.

Did anyone see the stuff about the new Google Wallet? Bringing it to websites, and a physical Google Wallet card. Can't wait to see all the other stuff. Google is always improving stuff, I like that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Might be important to anyone considering getting the Nexus 4 through Tmobile:

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/edit...-value-plan-pricing-on-the-nexus-4-isnt-cool/

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/psa-sorry-everyone-no-wi-fi-calling-on-the-nexus-4/

If you can afford it, unlocked is the way to go.

I am going unlocked but I call BS on the wifi calling not being T-Mobile's call. I have the Vonage app on my iphone, when on wifi I can call anyone who uses Vonage for free and it works just like my normal phone only through the app. Certainly T-Mobile could have a wifi calling app....if they wanted. Something doesn't seem right with that.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Also, anyone in the UK know what you're supposed to do if you have a fault with a Nexus device? How easy is the process to get it fixed etc?

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I am going unlocked but I call BS on the wifi calling not being T-Mobile's call. I have the Vonage app on my iphone, when on wifi I can call anyone who uses Vonage for free and it works just like my normal phone only through the app. Certainly T-Mobile could have a wifi calling app....if they wanted. Something doesn't seem right with that.

Talkatone and GrooveIP are good VoIP options for wifi calling. Actually work pretty well even over TMo's HSPA.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
How did they break them?

Josh said in the verge cast yesterday that his fell off of his kitchen table and cracked the back glass.

----------

Now you've got me worried! I almost always had my iPhone 4/4S in a bumper or case and I was planning on using the Nexus 4 naked. Can you please post a link of where you read these people breaking them.

It's funny because in the interview Josh asked Duarte if he's worried about people breaking them.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3586612/the-vergecast-is-live-today-at-1-30-pdt-4-30-edt-8-30-gmt

That is the link to the verge cast. They had some difficulties with the hurricane but I think it's 40 to an hour in. Sorry I don't know exactly. I'll look for the other reviews link too.

Edit: so it wasn't the Nexus 4 but it was the Optimus G. So pretty much the same glass back. Here is the link.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/15/lg-optimus-g-review-att/

Last edited:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Josh said in the verge cast yesterday that his fell off of his kitchen table and cracked the back glass.

----------

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3586612/the-vergecast-is-live-today-at-1-30-pdt-4-30-edt-8-30-gmt

That is the link to the verge cast. They had some difficulties with the hurricane but I think it's 40 to an hour in. Sorry I don't know exactly. I'll look for the other reviews link too.

Edit: so it wasn't the Nexus 4 but it was the Optimus G. So pretty much the same glass back. Here is the link.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/15/lg-optimus-g-review-att/

Based on what Nily said about Josh from the Verge, it seems his house is a drop zone. They commented on how multiple iPhone 4's were broken in the same manner. So i think the point of the story is this, the back is just as fragile as the iPhone 4 and 4s, so if you broke the back of those and go with a Optimus G or Nexus 4, it's likely to happen again!

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
based on what nily said about josh from the verge, it seems his house is a drop zone. They commented on how multiple iphone 4's were broken in the same manner. So i think the point of the story is this, the back is just as fragile as the iphone 4 and 4s, so if you broke the back of those and go with a optimus g or nexus 4, it's likely to happen again!

Lol exactly. Lucky for me I only broke one screen/back in a 5 year period of time. *Knocks on wood* And I insure all my phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.