Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Maybe i get a free bumper :D atleast i dont have to pay shipping now :eek: would love if they throw orb in the package !

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yes but unless theres a major change on how much power the old chip draw vs the new one.

Something is not right imo (not regarding your usage) im talking about iOS5-6 on the 4s.

Even tho both Nexus 4 threads have been hijacked by battery discussions for iPhone 5:

"The non-LTE phones see a sharp drop in battery life. At least at 28nm the slower air interfaces simply have to remain active (and drawing power) for longer, which results in measurably worse battery life. Again, the thing to be careful of here is there's usually a correlation between network speed and how aggressive you use the device. With a workload that scaled with network speed you might see closer numbers between 3G and 4G LTE."
- http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

I recognize he also cites network speed as a possible explanation for varying results.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
How would you compare it to the GS3? Also, I have never used one-screen buttons. How do you feel about them as opposed to the GS3's capacitive buttons?

It would be difficult ATM to give a fair comment, its still shiny and brand new out of the box, having said that, my S3 has been, IMHO the best phone I have had so far. I will keep both phones for a month and sell the one that I enjoy the least. (I did that with a iPhone 5 and the S3) As for the on screen buttons, I really like them.

Sorry it's a bit of a naff answer, but in a couple of weeks I will be able to give a more objective opinion.:)

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
It would be difficult ATM to give a fair comment, its still shiny and brand new out of the box, having said that, my S3 has been, IMHO the best phone I have had so far. I will keep both phones for a month and sell the one that I enjoy the least. (I did that with a iPhone 5 and the S3) As for the on screen buttons, I really like them.

Sorry it's a bit of a naff answer, but in a couple of weeks I will be able to give a more objective opinion.:)

That's understandable. Thanks!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ive seen people a bit off regarding the on-screen buttons, personally i think they are a plus.

While watching a video they go away right ?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Ive seen people a bit off regarding the on-screen buttons, personally i think they are a plus.

While watching a video they go away right ?

I tried a custom ROM on my phone which allowed on-screen buttons. On the default video player, the buttons went away. But on MX Video Player (third party app), they didn't. Could someone confirm if this is the case with N4?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've attached a sample screenshot from the YouTube app - as you can see, no buttons (unless you tap to show them).

Attachments

• YouTubeScreenshot.png
    YouTubeScreenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, it's recharging now (at 95%). I'll take one when it's done. I'm OCD about interrupting a full charge cycle lol.

Edit: dude below beat me to it.

You seem OCD about many things,and im not trying to be funny. I know people who are OCD and It gets kinda bizarre. I wouldnt want to have it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It's just occurred to me how off course this thread has gone. Shame to see it turn into a pissing contest but I should have assumed that it was always going to head that way.

Time to unsubscribe and seek impressions from people that have actually owned the device elsewhere! Have fun those that stick around.

Enjoy your iPhone 5's and to anyone who eventually gets their Nexus 4's, I hope your experience is as positive as mine has been. It's an incredible device.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I went to a T-Mobile store today and they said NONE of the TMo stores in Las Vegas got any N4's. They said maybe Best Buy...which wouldnt make sense since TMo is the only official carrier of it right now and BB doesnt have them in their stores.
However, somebody said they may be selling them unlocked for the same price?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's not as good as the one on an iPhone 4S but seems comparable to the one on the iPhone 4. 720p video looks pretty good. Photos in good light are fine. Photos in less light are not great. It is a decent camera but not an exceptional one. If the iPhone 4 camera is OK for you, this one will be just fine as well.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Got my Nexus 4 yesterday and haven't been able to completely use it just yet. I neglected to purchase a nano sim adapter so my sim from my iPhone 5 won't work. I let my housemate give it a try and I am using it without a sim currently. So far, so good! I really like the Google Cards feature, letting me know the current traffic conditions for my work commute in one screen (along with the weather, etc). Can't wait for my adapter to show up so I can finally use this phone outside.

This phone does get pretty warm, but aside from that, the browsing is smooth and I'm finding new features left and right. For $300, this phone is a STEAL. The only thing I would miss from the iPhone would be the iMessages (some of my friends don't subscribe to a texting plan). But I can see myself using this as my daily phone.

I'm already used to the size.. Coming from a 4" screen, there's a lot more real estate when browsing the web. If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these babies up, do it! :)

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Loving 4.2, but the lockscreen widgets are completely useless in their current state. The feature seems unfinished and redundant. It also makes the lockscreen UI very awkward to use.

Loving the 16:10 ratio, it definitely helps with the loss of screen due to the navi buttons!

yea i really hope devs can make something good out of this and by the next update i hope they can dazzle it up a bit.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Got my Nexus 4 yesterday and haven't been able to completely use it just yet. I neglected to purchase a nano sim adapter so my sim from my iPhone 5 won't work. I let my housemate give it a try and I am using it without a sim currently. So far, so good! I really like the Google Cards feature, letting me know the current traffic conditions for my work commute in one screen (along with the weather, etc). Can't wait for my adapter to show up so I can finally use this phone outside.

This phone does get pretty warm, but aside from that, the browsing is smooth and I'm finding new features left and right. For $300, this phone is a STEAL. The only thing I would miss from the iPhone would be the iMessages (some of my friends don't subscribe to a texting plan). But I can see myself using this as my daily phone.

I'm already used to the size.. Coming from a 4" screen, there's a lot more real estate when browsing the web. If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these babies up, do it! :)

Use Facebook or have them put Google+ on their phones if they don't have text plans.

----------

Thats it :( apple screw us 4s users.

Look at my usage, tapatalk only and on cellular data:

LOL. I get near 12 hrs on my note 2 and I'm at 56% with 100% brightness and 5+hrs if screen time.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
The NFC reader is just too fun on this phone. I downloaded FareBot and it read my Clipper Card (for BART trains/Bay Area metro), telling me my current balance, past trips, and other information. While not necessary, it's very convenient!

One thing I do miss is being able to scroll to the top of a page by tapping at the top. Does Android have anything equivalent to iOS? I think I read that the SGIII had this feature but I couldn't find a universal app.

Either way, I'm very satisfied with this phone, and it is well worth the $300 price tag :D

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
The NFC reader is just too fun on this phone. I downloaded FareBot and it read my Clipper Card (for BART trains/Bay Area metro), telling me my current balance, past trips, and other information. While not necessary, it's very convenient!

One thing I do miss is being able to scroll to the top of a page by tapping at the top. Does Android have anything equivalent to iOS? I think I read that the SGIII had this feature but I couldn't find a universal app.

Either way, I'm very satisfied with this phone, and it is well worth the $300 price tag :D

I've been looking for this for a while. I have asked several forums and found nothing. The S3 feature only works in contacts and a couple other Samsung apps and it doesn't work very well. I tried.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Can any owners explain how good the camera is?
Thanks.

Switched from an iPhone 5 to the nexus 4 and this was my biggest worry, the camera is not that great in low light, day time pix will come out fine other than that you will be disappointed, Love everything about the phone except the camera, the iPhone 4S/5 Camera is just superb

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Is it safe to reenter the thread yet? :)

Having some real oddities with the battery charts. Got into work with seemingly 10% lost in half hour, plugged it in to my work PC and it instantly went back to " charged" status.

I've literally just plugged or back in. :confused: (that thin green line on the bottom is how long it's been plugged in so the gradual incline upwards is inaccurate).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-19-07-25-59.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-19-07-25-59.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.