Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've literally just plugged or back in. :confused: (that thin green line on the bottom is how long it's been plugged in so the gradual incline upwards is inaccurate).
AWESOME!!! Google has managed to use the vibrating motor as a generator. On your way to work, the little vibrations charged the phone back up as the little motor jostled around.

Suck on that, iPhone 5!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
AWESOME!!! Google has managed to use the vibrating motor as a generator. On your way to work, the little vibrations charged the phone back up as the little motor jostled around.

Suck on that, iPhone 5!

If only. :-D

Self charging phone? Oh yes!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Is it safe to reenter the thread yet? :)
Sadly, I would say this place is not going to be good for discussing non-Apple stuff. Seems the mods allow any Android bashing even in this forum--yet the slightest defense of an Android device is treated like an offense (in THIS forum).

Any ideas of a good place where the Nexus 4 CAN be discussed in peace? I am trying Android Central but the ads and screen clutter are annoying as heck.

Michael

----------

By the way, this morning.... To my horror I watched my Nexus 4 slide off my iPad, which I "thought" was lying flat on kitchen counter, and onto the tile floor. I good 4' drop thereabouts. I was nearly sick as I went to pick it up.

After very carefully checking it out... not a scratch, blemish, or anything else! Yay! :D

Case is ordered!

Michael

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sadly, I would say this place is not going to be good for discussing non-Apple stuff. Seems the mods allow any Android bashing even in this forum--yet the slightest defense of an Android device is treated like an offense (in THIS forum).
I don't think it's quite that bad. Close, maybe, at times, but I don't feel unable to express my views here, and the Android-bashers tend to get put in their place.

Maybe I'm just not noticing the issues. :eek:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Any ideas of a good place where the Nexus 4 CAN be discussed in peace? I am trying Android Central but the ads and screen clutter are annoying as heck.

Michael

----------

By the way, this morning.... To my horror I watched my Nexus 4 slide off my iPad, which I "thought" was lying flat on kitchen counter, and onto the tile floor. I good 4' drop thereabouts. I was nearly sick as I went to pick it up.

After very carefully checking it out... not a scratch, blemish, or anything else! Yay! :D

Case is ordered!

Michael

Are you guys talking about onthecouchagain being in Time-out? I kinda missed when and why that happened.

MR is the only place I visit currently. You could always use something like Adblock if you're using Chrome.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

The iPad has tried to kill the Nexus 4 :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Michael

----------

Case is ordered!

Michael

AC + tapatalk is a solution I use for all forums. On a computer or tablet I just deal with it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A very similar thing happened to me, but with a lessor drop. No problems, but still, seeing it fall and being unable to get to it in time (cue slow-motion "nooooooooo!!!" and dive across room) made my heart skip a few beats.

Which case did you get?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Michael

Android Police is good for general discussion. XDA is more of a developer's site but it also has forums for good discussions. I visit them both frequently and they both have a good community.

I must also say that I'm not fond of how the Mods here delete and edit any thread they don't like.

Case is ordered!

Michael

I'm thinking of getting the N4 myself. I'd be interested in hearing how you found the switch from the iPhone. Also, does the back catch a lot of fingerprints?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I don't think it's quite that bad. Close, maybe, at times, but I don't feel unable to express my views here, and the Android-bashers tend to get put in their place.

Maybe I'm just not noticing the issues. :eek:
I'm talking about a thread where the anti-Android comments from, what seemed obvious to me, was a troll or ****-stirrer, were left intact whereas the rebuttals were deleted. Not cool IMNSHO.

But also, the fact that most anything Android is dumped here from other forums... even if it is a rant against it in defense of iOS/Apple.

I'm not talking about leaving here, as I still have my macs, iPad, ATVs, and as yet my iPhone. But clearly if I was not already here this would not be a first pick to discuss my N4. Maybe it is just me. :)

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Are you guys talking about onthecouchagain being in Time-out? I kinda missed when and why that happened.

MR is the only place I visit currently. You could always use something like Adblock if you're using Chrome.

Don't worry. He's reincarnated. :D

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A very similar thing happened to me, but with a lessor drop. No problems, but still, seeing it fall and being unable to get to it in time (cue slow-motion "nooooooooo!!!" and dive across room) made my heart skip a few beats.

Which case did you get?

I hear you about the slo-mo. Worse for me as it slid off the breakfast bar to the other side. The trip around to the other side was like an eternity.

As for case, I ordered this one for now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A72UPDI/

Michael

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

I think that he was provoked by one of the usual suspects, Its a shame really because he does bring some really good links and interesting views and information to the forum. I hope he is not away too long.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm thinking of getting the N4 myself. I'd be interested in hearing how you found the switch from the iPhone. Also, does the back catch a lot of fingerprints?

Well right now I still have the protective film on the back with which it shipped. That does attract fingerprints. I suspect it would without the cover too. But it doesn't matter too much as I will have a case on it soon.

That said when I can get an N4 bumper from Google it might be more of an issue--if I decide to go that route. The back is kind of cool looking to cover up.

As for switching... it is still an ongoing process. There are things I greatly like over iOS and somethings I miss--particularly notifications popping up when device is off, and appearing as a banner when it is on (or outright pop-up).

I AM starting to really like the little notification LED though, now that I finally have it configured with Light Flow.

I LOVE having the power control widget. It is even better than the iOS equivalent when jailbroken.

I LOVE that there is a builtin wifi hotspot. Was shocked to see this actually.

I DO miss iCloud calendars and contacts but I am getting used to Google instead.

I LIKE how this really is "post PC." I didn't need to connect to mac/pc for anything--not even once like I do on iOS to tell iTunes to sync wirelessly.

I DO wish it could be turned on with something other than the power switch. But that is mostly a minor issue.

I should also point out that there is a lot more to learn when going to Android. There are so many more options for almost everything--and for me that is a good thing. But I like to fully understand anything I use so I have been reading like crazy trying to get up to speed. I happen to enjoy that but if it is not your thing you might be a but overwhelmed.

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
His profile still says in time out :p

He has taken on a new life. You guys can't tell who he is?:eek:

----------

I DO wish it could be turned on with something other than the power switch. But that is mostly a minor issue.
Michael

I hear you about that. My GS2 has a home button so it's not a big deal for me. There's an app that allows you to use sensors to turn on the device. I've never had to use it but it might be worth giving it a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.omd.autoscreenon&hl=en

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I think that he was provoked by one of the usual suspects, Its a shame really because he does bring some really good links and interesting views and information to the forum. I hope he is not away too long.

Said usual suspect has gotten two others banned, as well, for calling said suspect out on trolling.

Maybe the mods ought to reevaluate who's trolling who.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
AWESOME. Thank you.

No problems.

I love the fact that my Nexus is faster than my home broadband.
ADSL:
2318263405.png

EDIT: Slower than 82% of GB...
3G Tethered:
2318255965.png

Faster than 60% of GB...

I'd be lost without unlimited 3G and tethering. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.