Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Yes, please post issues here at the Android Issues page or star an already existing issue-post to get more attention from Google: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list?thanks=13414&ts=1293293994

As with any launch, there are bound to be glitches and issues, sometimes discovered weeks/months down the road (look at the iPhone 5, for example; and pretty much any new phone release). Let Google know so the issues can be hammered out.

Would love to see 4.2.1 roll out before I get my Nexus 4. :)

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Well I'm pretty impressed with the battery for the first run. I think this is similar to what I got on my iPhone 4. I feel good about it! And I was pushing this phone pretty hard all day. I hope the attachments worked.

When the wireless charging orb comes about this will absolutely be a non issue. A few charging cycles should make it better too.

I hope Google doesn't can the wireless charging orb and actually releases it. I'm pretty excited to get one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I hope Google doesn't can the wireless charging orb and actually releases it. I'm pretty excited to get one.

Too bad it'll be on backorder the moment you order it because they've only made like four of them. Also, they're going to release it on some random hour of the day of release.

;)

Joking aside though, Google sucks at releases. I want to order the Nexus 4 already.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States

That makes two of us. Totally bummed that isn't out yet. Just got my Nexus 4 today and it's been great. I love the fact that if you use it on AT&T and don't configure your APN, it uses the older Cingular network with crappy speeds. Update your APN and it's much better! WTF AT&T.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Well since before even getting my N4 I was looking for a way to hide the nav buttons to get more screen real estate (for games, web browsing... anything I might want more screen where the nav buttons dont disappear on their own).

Well since I rooted I was able to install Hide Bar that does just that. :) It's not perfect and I am only using the--fully functional--demo version as wait to see if something better comes along. But it does work:
http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/

Michael

Do you also have the option to hide only the status bar ?

Thanks

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, please post issues here at the Android Issues page or star an already existing issue-post to get more attention from Googl, e: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list?thanks=13414&ts=1293293994

As with any launch, there are bound to be glitches and issues, sometimes discovered weeks/months down the road (look at the iPhone 5, for example; and pretty much any new phone release). Let Google know so the issues can be hammered out.

Would love to see 4.2.1 roll out before I get my Nexus 4=. :)

Glad i decided to wait to get one. Might not even try till after new years. Depends on what news comes out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
When you two finger down to bring up quick settings, how do you change the contact in the top left?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
When you two finger down to bring up quick settings, how do you change the contact in the top left?

That's the details of whoever is signed in on their Google account. I don't think its changeable.

It does change on the tablet version with whoever is signed in as tablets support multiple users.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So far my biggest gripe is battery. I am a light to moderate user and can tell I will struggle to get a day

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My battery life continues to be disappointing, but no more so than that of the 4s. I suspect an OS upgrade will help significantly.

i mean I have been unplugged for about 3 hours and am at 70% =/...with my 5 I would still be at about 90

----------

That makes two of us. Totally bummed that isn't out yet. Just got my Nexus 4 today and it's been great. I love the fact that if you use it on AT&T and don't configure your APN, it uses the older Cingular network with crappy speeds. Update your APN and it's much better! WTF AT&T.

mine didn't even work before changing the APN...no calls, no internet, no text....which is really weird since I just changed the sim over.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I'd say the Nexus 4 is a great "entry" phone for people who have yet to join the smartphone market. It's not a bad device, but for us seasoned superphoners it's better we stick with something like the note 2, iPhone 5 etc.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'd say the Nexus 4 is a great "entry" phone for people who have yet to join the smartphone market. It's not a bad device, but for us seasoned superphoners it's better we stick with something like the note 2, iPhone 5 etc.

I would say the exact opposite b.c they would be totally lost. Hands down the iphone is the best entry phone b.c everything is synced and tied together so easily. The nexus is the exact opposite of what you described...

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
That actually looks pretty good. Can you also post a screenshot of the battery history (tap on the battery chart)?

Sorry this was after it charged all night but here it is.

----------

Yeah is definitely one of the things in looking forward to must. Hurry up Google.

----------

Too bad it'll be on backorder the moment you order it because they've only made like four of them. Also, they're going to release it on some random hour of the day of release.

;)

Joking aside though, Google sucks at releases. I want to order the Nexus 4 already.

So you've decided to go ahead and get it? I know you were thinking about waiting a while.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I would say the exact opposite b.c they would be totally lost. Hands down the iphone is the best entry phone b.c everything is synced and tied together so easily. The nexus is the exact opposite of what you described...

I'm thinking more for the price. They get a smartphone and a decent price. It's hard to get a QUALITY smartphone at a decent price, and the Nexus 4 is a great phone to fill that void.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Do you know what APN settings to use? I saw a post on another site but I don't think it has APN for AT&T post paid.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm thinking more for the price. They get a smartphone and a decent price. It's hard to get a QUALITY smartphone at a decent price, and the Nexus 4 is a great phone to fill that void.
Still doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't matter if the Nexus 4 was free, it's still is not an entry level phone by any stretch.

Mike

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Still doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't matter if the Nexus 4 was free, it's still is not an entry level phone by any stretch.

Mike

It's an entry level phone, get over it. $300, no LTE and 8GB of storage (up to 16GB for the more expensive model).

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal

Nexus phones aren't harder to use than any other Android; I recommend them to novices over the others. They offer smoother and better user experience compared to phones offered by carriers, and updates are never an issue.

Also, once you learn the simple act of dragging an app from the drawer (one click) to a homescreen, you can pretty much use it as an iOS styled app launcher if you wanted to. I don't see much difficulty there past the first hours of use.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nexus phones aren't harder to use than any other Android; I recommend them to novices over the others. They offer smoother and better user experience compared to phones offered by carriers, and updates are never an issue.

Also, once you learn the simple act of dragging an app from the drawer (one click) to a homescreen, you can pretty much use it as an iOS styled app launcher if you wanted to. I don't see much difficulty there past the first hours of use.

true, but then by that logic no device is difficult b.c you can pretty much do the same aside from getting updates.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
true, but then by that logic no device is difficult b.c you can pretty much do the same aside from getting updates.

No device is truely DIFFICULT to use. A difficult to use device would be something like a phone without a "phone" icon/label. How would you make outbound calls? You'd have to try every app on the phone.

Lbbhecht

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Nexus 4 camera

Can anyone who has used a Nexus 4 tell me how the rear camera compares with the iPhone 4S for still shots and video? I can only find comparisons with the iPhone 5.

Thanks--

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It's an entry level phone, get over it. $300, no LTE and 8GB of storage (up to 16GB for the more expensive model).
Sorry you're just making no sense at all.

Developer phone an entry level phone. Too funny. Lol

Michael

----------

Can anyone who has used a Nexus 4 tell me how the rear camera compares with the iPhone 4S for still shots and video? I can only find comparisons with the iPhone 5.

Thanks--

I would say not quite on par with 4S... But if you use more than just auto mode it can do rather well at least for stills.

Flash is about twice as strong as 4S.

Mike

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Thanks--

IMO, the camera is not that great. No where near that of a 4s or 5. The photos just lack any pop. As someone else mentioned, you pretty much need to take everything with HDR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.