Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My Nexus 4 just arrived! :D

This thing is so fast and smooth even compared to my International Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7! :eek:

Successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted but I'll be sticking to the stock ROM for at least a few days to test it out.

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
My Nexus 4 just arrived! :D

This thing is so fast and smooth even compared to my International Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7! :eek:

Successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted but I'll be sticking to the stock ROM for at least a few days to test it out.

Still not in stock.:(

Anyways, enjoy yours and keep posting impressions.:)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Still not in stock.:(

Anyways, enjoy yours and keep posting impressions.:)

Thanks and will do!

The screen is a bit of an adjustment coming from a GS3 but it is in no way bad. One thing I don't really like though is the vibration on the phone. The haptic feedback feels a lot different than on my GS3, it's hard to explain but it feels more subtle.

To Nexus 4 owners: did the box come in a plastic sheath over the sleeve or was it just a sleeve then the box which had two pieces of tape on it?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Thanks. It's just that I got it from a stranger and I wanted to be sure he hadn't messed with it.

Any Nexus 4 owners using their Nexus 7 charger to charge it?
I do (and our iPad charger too).

My charger is still in the box, unused!

Glad yours finally arrived, still no sign of my Bumper. :mad:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I do (and our iPad charger too).

My charger is still in the box, unused!

Glad yours finally arrived, still no sign of my Bumper. :mad:

I opened it but I didn't like the actual cable. Feels cheap compared to the one that came with my GS3 and Nexus 7.

It's almost been a week, that's weird. I haven't taken off the back sticker that's on the phone cause I'm worried about scratches :p I probably shouldn't worry so much after seeing this scratch test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAExzHJIHHE

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
OMG ! OMG ! OMG !

BRACE YOURSELVES !!!! The ****ing backorders start to ship these week !!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ahaze4ub.jpg

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Glad everyone's getting shipping notifications!!

A few more impressions.

1. Now that the "omg its new and shiny" feeling is gone, the battery is MORE than enough to get through an average use full day. I'm talking easily 7AM to 10:30 - 11:00PM. And I'm still having 30 to 40% left. Syncing gmail, reader, exchange, twitter (every 4 hours). And checking the web and email moderately. I do turn off WiFi when I'm not near a network and I turn off data when I am on a WiFi network. Bluetooth is on while in the car. A few calls here and there. GPS is off location services on. Screen is low when indoors and on auto when outside. I'm very happy with battery life after the newness has worn off. Like I have said before when the wireless charging orb comes around it will be on my desk and the phone will be charging whenever I am at my desk so the battery will seemingly last forever.

2. The low hissing, buzzing noise in the ear piece that the blogs are mentioning is real. I called Google and they are sending me another one this week.

3. Google is awesome but creepy. It told me how long it would take to get home today without me having to do anything. And it was scarily accurate. Like right up to my window accurate.

4. Absolutely loving the notification light. I am using light flow, the free version. Its such a simple yet powerful concept. I just glance at my phone and known if anything has happened. No turning it on and checking things all day. Love it.

5. I finally have found widgets useful. Reader, gmail, calendar, and a music widget.

6. Quick toggles in the notification shade using power toggles. Enough said.

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

A few more impressions.

1. Now that the "omg its new and shiny" feeling is gone, the battery is MORE than enough to get through an average use full day. I'm talking easily 7AM to 10:30 - 11:00PM. And I'm still having 30 to 40% left. Syncing gmail, reader, exchange, twitter (every 4 hours). And checking the web and email moderately. I do turn off WiFi when I'm not near a network and I turn off data when I am on a WiFi network. Bluetooth is on while in the car. A few calls here and there. GPS is off location services on. Screen is low when indoors and on auto when outside. I'm very happy with battery life after the newness has worn off. Like I have said before when the wireless charging orb comes around it will be on my desk and the phone will be charging whenever I am at my desk so the battery will seemingly last forever.

Doesn't data automatically turn off when you turn on WiFi? Also, for Google Now, in one of AnandTech's podcasts, he mentioned that he had information for his plane ticket in his inbox. On the day of his departure, it pulled up a card reminding him of the the journey:eek:

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Doesn't data automatically turn off when you turn on GPS? Also, for Google Now, in one of AnandTech's podcasts, he mentioned that he had information for his plane ticket in his inbox. On the day of his departure, it pulled up a card reminding him of the the journey:eek:

I assume you meant Wi-Fi. And hmm. I'm not sure if it does but if Wi-Fi is set to go to sleep when turned off then I guess it would use data and more battery.

----------

Tha **** :eek:

Juiceman thanks for the update, cant wait to have my nexus on hand now !

No problem!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Has anyone found an alternative to the bumper case? I would like some type of bumper to protect the phone yet show off the stylish back.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

A few more impressions.

2. The low hissing, buzzing noise in the ear piece that the blogs are mentioning is real. I called Google and they are sending me another one this week.

3. Google is awesome but creepy. It told me how long it would take to get home today without me having to do anything. And it was scarily accurate. Like right up to my window accurate.

4. Absolutely loving the notification light. I am using light flow, the free version. Its such a simple yet powerful concept. I just glance at my phone and known if anything has happened. No turning it on and checking things all day. Love it.

5. I finally have found widgets useful. Reader, gmail, calendar, and a music widget.

6. Quick toggles in the notification shade using power toggles. Enough said.

Rocking!

I don't know how anyone can get by without a notification light. I recently had to use a super old smartphone for a few days (Samsung Vibrant) and it was a chore having to turn it on just to see if I received anything.

Very spoiled by the notification light. I think that no matter how good iOS may get with iOS 7 or 8, I don't think I can switch back until they replace the home button with capacitive or on screen buttons and put in a notification light.

Why is Apple so adverse to these things... :confused:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Rocking!

I don't know how anyone can get by without a notification light. I recently had to use a super old smartphone for a few days (Samsung Vibrant) and it was a chore having to turn it on just to see if I received anything.

Very spoiled by the notification light. I think that no matter how good iOS may get with iOS 7 or 8, I don't think I can switch back until they replace the home button with capacitive or on screen buttons and put in a notification light.

It would be nice if i could use Light Flow and not have it be a big drain on my battery. And i didnt even have it blink. I always try it again after an update and the last one said it fixed the drain on the GS3 but it really didnt. So...the notification light is limited being stock.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

No. Its not a rattle like a piece is lose. Its a buzzing kind of noise when talking on the phone. Like static kind of but it seems to be the phone not the network.

----------

Rocking!

Yeah the notification light is great. I will admit that it is an adjustment with no physical home button. That is how I always turned on my iPhones. But I love the on screen buttons so the trade off is worth it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah the notification light is great. I will admit that it is an adjustment with no physical home button. That is how I always turned on my iPhones. But I love the on screen buttons so the trade off is worth it.

Yeah, I've actually come to loathe physical home screen buttons. I never noticed this until Cynics pointed it out, but the fact that you have to apply pressure to depress the button (whereas with the on-screen keys, you just have to tap lightly) makes it feel cumbersome and slow, especially when you're lying down. Not to mention, there's no such thing as the home button failing.

Funnily, when Google first introduced the on screen keys, I was very skeptical of it, overly concerned with whether it'll lag or be unresponsive. It's worked 100% of the time (as do the back and app-switcher screen buttons).

I find it sad that Samsung is sticking with the physical buttons. They used to be capacitive (US versions, anyway). Some things you don't copy from Apple. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.