Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
you know that launch day excitement will get the best of you. I am not even really interested in the 5s, but the excitement has me drawn to it haha.

Not to side track this thread, but the 5S is actually making me more excited about the iPhone 6 in 2014 than anything else. If/when they offer a larger option, and depending on where they take iOS 8, I think that's when the iPhone will be exciting and interesting again.

But then again, who knows where Android will be then.

Eventually, both will really merge as Android tightens up all its buttons and iOS offers more features.

Maybe in 2014, it'll become more and more moot which OS to go with. But, of course, that depends on where the iPhoen/iOS go.

I'm not that particularly excited by the 5S, but I understand what you mean. I'm not making any promises about Nexus 5 launch day. :D

Truthfully, my reservation comes from my poor Nexus 4 quality control issue from last year/earlier this year. :T

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This thing is being hyped up in everyone's minds like the MX. Prepare for a huge letdown.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This thing is being hyped up in everyone's minds like the MX. Prepare for a huge letdown.

You think so? I suppose it's possible.

But there is at least precedence for the Nexus phone. Expecting a lower price point is not far fetched. Expecting unlocked, stock Android, selling through Google Play Store, etc. -- none of this is out of this world.

There was no precedence for the MX. People were throwing out assumptions left and right.

All the expectations for the Nexus 5 are based on pretty credible leaks that link back to a leak directly from Google. Then there are the FCC filings -- again, they tend to be credible. Evleaks backed things up -- he's also credible. And all the assumptions about pricing, availability, etc, are all based on the previous Nexus.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. It'd be a shocker if the Nexus 5 didn't come out like a Nexus with affordable pricing, availability through Google Play, unlocked, etc. etc.

Can people still be disappointed? Sure. There are factors. Will the camera really be based off the LG G2 camera and be as good? That's worth keeping an eye on. Will they offer 32GB option? Worth wondering about. How much will the price go up (cause I think it will)? That's worth waiting to see.

So yeah, people can be disappointed, but it won't be in the same vein as the MX, where people had little to no precedence and were basing their hopes for the phone on just what they wanted and wished for.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

There's always the possibility, but why do you feel the Moto X is a let down? It's not like it's been hyped in the media, rather it was the owners/users raving about it that made me want to try it, and I'm glad I did.

I can honestly say the Moto X is one of the best experiences I've ever had with an Android phone. It's fast, smooth, and while I'm sure Couch will disagree with me, the camera isn't as bad as a lot of people say. It's certainly fixable with a software update as it seems to be the post processing that's causing the flat colors. It's certainly sharp enough, that's for sure.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...what made me fall for the Moto X was actually having one in hand. Once I did that, I was determined to have one. And I haven't been disappointed.

Now, as for the Nexus 5, I'm expecting a lot so sure there's the possibility of a letdown. But Google seems to have their finger on the pulse of their users and I'd be surprised if there's anything that's really disappointing this time around. And as far as Couch's Nexus 4 experience making him wary of another LG Nexus, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Think of it this way...LG has had a year of building phones for Google now. I'm sure Google has given them direction and probably advised them on what to do and what not to do. I know I loved my Optimus G and the build quality couldn't have been better. Every successive LG I've been able to play with has impressed me as well, so I'm not worried about build quality this time around.

They'll get it right, don't worry.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm expecting a 4.96" screen, 1080p, Snapdragon 800, Sony 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, and a 2300 mAh battery all for less than $450 for at least 16GB. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The only thing I think may be different this time around is the price. I actually think we may be looking at closer to $399/$429.

Honestly, they appeal to a certain crowd, and I think that crowd could go as high as $499/$529

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The only thing I think may be different this time around is the price. I actually think we may be looking at closer to $399/$429.

Honestly, they appeal to a certain crowd, and I think that crowd could go as high as $499/$529

I'd be surprised if it went up that much. I definitely think it'll go up.

My bets are

$329/$379 to mirror the Nexus 7 price hike.

At most, $349/$399.

I just can't see Google pricing any version over $400.

I hope I'm right and you're wrong. :X

----------

personally I'd rather have the price go up rather than take compromises

Ditto. If Matto is right, $429 is still more affordable than the competition.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm expecting a 4.96" screen, 1080p, Snapdragon 800, Sony 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, and a 2300 mAh battery all for less than $450 for at least 16GB. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so.

I think you'll get what you want. I'm feeling pretty good about those being the specs for the phone.

I'd be OK with $399/$429, but I'm hoping it's more in the $349/$399 range.

personally I'd rather have the price go up rather than take compromises

This is the perfect way to put it. I'd much rather pay a bit more than make compromises elsewhere. Google, for once, give us everything we want in a phone at the price you're capable of charging. I don't want to compromise anymore.

Nexus 5 sighted. Someone left one at a bar:

http://bgr.com/2013/09/17/nexus-5-video-leak-bar/

Old news. But yeah, that's most likely it. And you know this wasn't "accidentally" left at a bar, just like they didn't "accidentally" show off the Nexus 5 in the Kit Kat video. Google isn't stupid. They're building momentum for this phone, and it's working.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Old news. But yeah, that's most likely it. And you know this wasn't "accidentally" left at a bar, just like they didn't "accidentally" show off the Nexus 5 in the Kit Kat video. Google isn't stupid. They're building momentum for this phone, and it's working.

Until someone can legitimately confirm one way or the other, saying Google left a phone at a bar on purpose is just a huge leap of faith.

I won't try and definitively say one way or the other without more information. I am not going to say "for sure they did this" when in reality we have no idea.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
until someone can legitimately confirm one way or the other, saying google left a phone at a bar on purpose is just a huge leap of faith.

I won't try and definitively say one way or the other without more information. I am not going to say "for sure they did this" when in reality we have no idea.

ok.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is the perfect way to put it. I'd much rather pay a bit more than make compromises elsewhere. Google, for once, give us everything we want in a phone at the price you're capable of charging. I don't want to compromise anymore.

Particularly storage size.

Why not 64GB option at a higher price point?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Another (I think?) report that points to October release date -- though not necessarily Oct 14th.

http://www.androidauthority.com/rumor-lg-nexus-5-release-date-set-october-270752/

So either event announcement very soon and Oct 14th release date, or Oct 14th event, then late October for release.

Is it me or is this all earlier than last year? And definitely earlier than the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S (both those were well into November and December, respectively, if I recall correctly).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Another (I think?) report that points to October release date -- though not necessarily Oct 14th.

http://www.androidauthority.com/rumor-lg-nexus-5-release-date-set-october-270752/

So either event announcement very soon and Oct 14th release date, or Oct 14th event, then late October for release.

Is it me or is this all earlier than last year? And definitely earlier than the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S (both those were well into November and December, respectively, if I recall correctly).

I believe the Nexus 4 announcement was late October with release for sale mid-November.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not to side track this thread, but the 5S is actually making me more excited about the iPhone 6 in 2014 than anything else. If/when they offer a larger option, and depending on where they take iOS 8, I think that's when the iPhone will be exciting and interesting again.

But then again, who knows where Android will be then.

Eventually, both will really merge as Android tightens up all its buttons and iOS offers more features.

Maybe in 2014, it'll become more and more moot which OS to go with. But, of course, that depends on where the iPhoen/iOS go.

I'm not that particularly excited by the 5S, but I understand what you mean. I'm not making any promises about Nexus 5 launch day. :D

Truthfully, my reservation comes from my poor Nexus 4 quality control issue from last year/earlier this year. :T

I dont care what Apple does. It will still be a closed system and ill still be stuck with iTunes. An iPhone isnt even a spark of interest to me as a phone. I just dont think Apple will be able to keep up with Android but they will get more customers back just by making the screens 4.5 to 5".
Its just not enough for me though.

As for the N5....they must start the storage at 16 GB and offer a 32 for me to consider one. 8 GB is just ridiculous.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I'm starting to think the price won't be attractive like the Nexus 4 was. Might have to look into a Nexus 7 to experience Android.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm starting to think the price won't be attractive like the Nexus 4 was. Might have to look into a Nexus 7 to experience Android.

I would certainly expect a price increase. The real question is how much.

Anyone who expects the same prices as the nexus 4 will be sorely disappointed, I predict.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I would certainly expect a price increase. The real question is how much.

Anyone who expects the same prices as the nexus 4 will be sorely disappointed, I predict.

I agree with you here. Big upgrade component-wise in many aspects. I definitely think it will be tough, if not impossible, for them to keep the same price point. We should expect to pay more money for a better device. It just makes sense.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
LG is still a second-rate OEM to me. They are second banana or the South Korean understudy to Samsung. I dont trust them enough even if they are the #2 Android OEM behind Samsung.

I will wait for the second Nexus manufactured by Sony. I predict two-yr cycles per OEM with the exception of HTC's first gen Nexus. Samsung gave us the 2nd and 3rd gen Nexus. LG gives us the 4th and 5th. Sony or Motorola could be next.

Lenovo, Xiaomi, and Asus are just not known in the Western world at making cell phones.

2014 - Sony Nexus
2015 - Sony Nexus
2016 - Motorola Nexus
2017 - Motorola Nexus

or vice-versa?

Kaz Hirai's Sony is going to make a great comeback next year and recapture their throne in the gaming market with PS4. Google may OWN Motorola but they are NOT that close and Sony has bigger marketshare than Moto right now. Their Xperia Z sold quite well outside U.S.

The second iteration of a Nexus from a particular OEM is the one I go for. Similar to the S-versions of iPhones. They correct all the mistakes and errors the second time around. Nexus 5 looks to correct everything that was wrong with the Nexus 4. Yet, I still dont trust LG. They dont have the best cameras, or best batt life, or best build quality, or best audio, or best reception. They make decent TV's and portable air conditioners or refrigerators and that is abt it.

Waiting for the Sony Nexus by 2015. If that doesnt show up and Moto makes it, then I will go Samsung Galaxy Note 5/S6 route. By then Samsung is releasing their metal designs by next year and improving it by 2015. I prefer Sony's underrated ecosystem since Moto lacks one.

Nexus phone (7th gen or 9th gen) hopefully made by Sony in 2015 or 2017. I'm not the type that needs to upgrade EVERY 3 months to a year for a phone. I think 3 years is sufficient enough to see differences. But 2015 is an upgrade year for me. So a Sony Nexus or Sammy for me even if Im generally not fond of the latter as a company. Would like to own a Galaxy S or Note phablet at least ONCE in my life.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
LG is still a second-rate OEM to me. They are second banana or the South Korean understudy to Samsung. I dont trust them enough even if they are the #2 Android OEM behind Samsung.

I will wait for the second Nexus manufactured by Sony. I predict two-yr cycles per OEM with the exception of HTC's first gen Nexus. Samsung gave us the 2nd and 3rd gen Nexus. LG gives us the 4th and 5th. Sony or Motorola could be next.

Lenovo, Xiaomi, and Asus are just not known in the Western world at making cell phones.

2014 - Sony Nexus
2015 - Sony Nexus
2016 - Motorola Nexus
2017 - Motorola Nexus

or vice-versa?

Kaz Hirai's Sony is going to make a great comeback next year and recapture their throne in the gaming market with PS4. Google may OWN Motorola but they are NOT that close and Sony has bigger marketshare than Moto right now. Their Xperia Z sold quite well outside U.S.

The second iteration of a Nexus from a particular OEM is the one I go for. Similar to the S-versions of iPhones. They correct all the mistakes and errors the second time around. Nexus 5 looks to correct everything that was wrong with the Nexus 4. Yet, I still dont trust LG. They dont have the best cameras, or best batt life, or best build quality, or best audio, or best reception. They make decent TV's and portable air conditioners or refrigerators and that is abt it.

Waiting for the Sony Nexus by 2015. If that doesnt show up and Moto makes it, then I will go Samsung Galaxy Note 5/S6 route. By then Samsung is releasing their metal designs by next year and improving it by 2015. I prefer Sony's underrated ecosystem since Moto lacks one.

Nexus phone (7th gen or 9th gen) hopefully made by Sony in 2015 or 2017. I'm not the type that needs to upgrade EVERY 3 months to a year for a phone. I think 3 years is sufficient enough to see differences. But 2015 is an upgrade year for me. So a Sony Nexus or Sammy for me even if Im generally not fond of the latter as a company. Would like to own a Galaxy S or Note phablet at least ONCE in my life.

I think once Google uses Motorola for a Nexus smartphone, that will kill the cycle and they will stick with them.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Particularly storage size.

Why not 64GB option at a higher price point?

Because Google wants you on the cloud. :)

I would love to see a 64GB Nexus 5 but I think I will see a 4.9" iPhone before that happens. (Would love to be wrong - but I think that's the situation)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.