Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You know what I'm going to really miss about my HTC one if I do switch to the nexus 5?

The swipe home app. I'm gonna miss mainly the swipe up and down to put the device to sleep the most. It's such a wonderful feeling to be able to sleep your device in any app at any time anywhere on the phone.

:T

I just use the side button on my phone. Also I think Apex and Nova have those options.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'd speculate it's due to a few things. The dimensions of the rumored Nexus 5 are significantly smaller, regardless of thickness--approximately 7mm shorter and 2mm narrower. They are also obviously rearranging the hardware layout (camera, volume and power buttons) so that may have an impact on available space for the battery. I would also guess that cost comes into play--a 3000mAh battery most certainly costs more than 2300mAh and the Nexus devices are priced very competitively. It may also be to simply differentiate it from it's LG sibling. Considering it's size is between the Moto X and the Galaxy S4/HTC One, it's battery size seem in line with those devices (2200, 2600/2300 mAh respectively).

Just my $0.02.

I would also expect LG's "stepped" battery to cost a fair amount more to make as it is pretty new in smartphones. And definitely the fact that the Nexus 5 doesn't have as much of a curved back as the G2 surely has something to do with it.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Look at the size of that camera. I really hope it's better than the one I have in my nexus now.

The cutout tells you nothing. The Nexus 7 has a large camera cutout, but that doesn't make its camera any better. What really matters is pixel size and aperture. Not the glass cutout on the plastic case.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The cutout tells you nothing. The Nexus 7 has a large camera cutout, but that doesn't make its camera any better. What really matters is pixel size and aperture. Not the glass cutout on the plastic case.

I know this. I wish that the iPhone 5 camera was in the next Nexus phone. I sold my iPhone to get a pure android phone. I don't regret it at all, apart from this high aperture, slow response time camera. It's one of the few flaws in the phone (after I rooted it).

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Just read a recent G2 review and it had great things to say about the camera. I am getting super excited about the camera in the upcoming Nexus 5 now. I just hope they don't ruin the phone with awful battery life.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Based on all the rumors, I will likely be buying on day 1. Hopefully this launch will be better than last year!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Think it will have to be given the standards set by Apple and Samsung.

One can only hope. Remember this came out when the iPhone 4S was almost a year old, and the 4S camera is better than this one.

Love Android, but all of the cameras I have seen pale in comparison to an iPhone.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
One can only hope. Remember this came out when the iPhone 4S was almost a year old, and the 4S camera is better than this one.

Love Android, but all of the cameras I have seen pale in comparison to an iPhone.

Really? I think the S4, and the Lumia 1020 are better.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Really? I think the S4, and the Lumia 1020 are better.

I haven't used the 5S but the 5's quality is outstanding. I thought the colors and low light pics were better than the S4.

But I don't want a Samsung flavour of Android anyways. I want a butt kicking nexus 5 with pure 4.4 and hopefully a smoking camera.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I haven't used the 5S but the 5's quality is outstanding. I thought the colors and low light pics were better than the S4.

But I don't want a Samsung flavour of Android anyways. I want a butt kicking nexus 5 with pure 4.4 and hopefully a smoking camera.

Yea I would not mind a great camera either, but you were saying you had not found a camera better than the iPhone 5. A lot of people would disagree with you on that. I was just pointing out a couple that most would say are better.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Anytime you're ready, Google.

Purported Android 4.4 KitKat log file from Nexus 5 leaked (build version: KRS74H)

http://www.androidauthority.com/pur...e-nexus-5-leaked-build-version-krs74h-277972/

More info: Alleged Screenshot And Bug Report Log File From Upcoming Nexus Leaked – White Status Bar Icons, 1080p Resolution, And Nexus 5 Name

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-bar-icons-1080p-resolution-and-nexus-5-name/

443PPI means something random like a 4.97 inches, 5 inches dead is 441PPI. I wish I didn't keep yearning for a bigger screen. Each time I decide a little bigger would be perfect, I own the phone for 3 months, and keep wanting a little bigger. I already own a 5 inch phone and I'm eyeing the Note 3 with jealousy.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
443PPI means something random like a 4.97 inches, 5 inches dead is 441PPI. I wish I didn't keep yearning for a bigger screen. Each time I decide a little bigger would be perfect, I own the phone for 3 months, and keep wanting a little bigger. I already own a 5 inch phone and I'm eyeing the Note 3 with jealousy.

4.96" has already been known since the FCC leaks.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
A near 5-inch screen means it loses about 0.2 for the on-screen buttons on the bottom similar to the Sony Xperia Z and Nexus 4.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
the leaked numbers are impressive on the nexus 5, but i can't see this even competing with the note 3. they'd have to put a large battery in this thing to keep it from dying in 5-6 hrs of use. that screen must eat power like crazy. didn't motorola go with a 720 display for better battery life?

after looking at vids of touchwiz, i'm not too thrilled to buy a sammy device. stock android is the best, but i want my device to last all day. modding may be the only solution for now...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
the leaked numbers are impressive on the nexus 5, but i can't see this even competing with the note 3. they'd have to put a large battery in this thing to keep it from dying in 5-6 hrs of use. that screen must eat power like crazy. didn't motorola go with a 720 display for better battery life?

after looking at vids of touchwiz, i'm not too thrilled to buy a sammy device. stock android is the best, but i want my device to last all day. modding may be the only solution for now...

I don't think the Nexus 5 is meant to compete with the Note 3--two very different devices that will generally appeal to customers with different needs in their phone, myself as a perfect example. I don't want anything bigger than a 5" display, an even then only if it has minimal bezels because I want a device that's comfortable to hold and use in one hand.

And eat power like crazy? Its display is comparable in size to the One and S4 with the same resolution and equally similar battery size, so I'd expect it to perform near to those devices. I have an HTC One and while it's no Droid Maxx or Note, it generally lasts a full day.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
well, i ordered the s4 google edition to see it in action. i'll return it if the nexus 5 proves to be better. if lg puts the battery from the g2 into it, i'll order the n5 immediately. otherwise, being able to swap batteries will do. i'm also really into the note 3, but touchwiz...not so much.

anyone know about mods for the note series that have apps that take advantage of the spen? that's really all i'd use for the note 3. and maybe as an ereader.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
well, i ordered the s4 google edition to see it in action. i'll return it if the nexus 5 proves to be better. if lg puts the battery from the g2 into it, i'll order the n5 immediately. otherwise, being able to swap batteries will do. i'm also really into the note 3, but touchwiz...not so much.

anyone know about mods for the note series that have apps that take advantage of the spen? that's really all i'd use for the note 3. and maybe as an ereader.

Nexus 5 will have a 2300 mAh non-removable battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.