Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
I want to get away from iPhone it's getting boring and lots of other pet peeves. I see the Pixel XL is about to be announced but not really interested in paying over $700 again for a phone. It's not the money as much as these phones are way overpriced and lose value quick. My iPhone with taxes was almost $1000 and 6 months later I'd be lucky to get $500 for it. So I'm tired of buying overpriced phones and I fear the Pixel will also be overpriced.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
We're weeks away. I'd wait personally (even though I am not convinced the Pixel devices will be worth their premium prices either...). And if I don't like what I see, the 6p should be even more affordable. You can't lose.

BTW, in my opinion, Nougat is a joy. Give it a chance. Know there will be differences with iOS. But given time, I think you'll find Android Nougat superior in nearly every way. I'm not being hyperbolic. Everything is just easier and more natural to do on Android; stable and usable on its own, but customizable so you can cater it to your needs and specifications. This goes a long way for a device you use daily.

Good luck.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Gotta go Nexus 6P considering the price will not make the Pixel XL worth it for an extra GB of RAM and newer processor. Huawei kicked ass with the 6P.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wait since Pixel could be better and 6P cheaper because it's no longer latest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadstar

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The 6P is a very nice phone with a couple blemishes. First, it's really larger, a touch bigger than the Plus models of the iPhone. If that doesn't both you then, no sweat but if the size comparison epicrayban posted in the other thread turns out to be true, the Pixel XL will be significantly smaller.

The 2nd area where is falls a bit short is the camera. It's good, not great. My bigger problem is that it's pretty damn slow, especially if you like to use HDR. I've missed shots because of how long it take to launch and then be ready for the next shot due to processing. Also, doesn't have OIS.

Whether those two areas carry much weight is obviously up to you but regardless, I'd wait. You have nothing to gain getting the 6P now...it'll only be cheaper in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
i don't know, would have to wait until the announcement of the new nexuses. The Nexus 6P is pretty big for a phone. That is probably its biggest drawback. For me, it's an important drawback.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'd wait at this point as we're not far away from the announcement and your current phone still works if I'm not mistaken. The 6P will still be available once Pixels are announced, quite possibly even a little bit cheaper than now.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on a brand new 6P. I just can't justify paying double the price for the Pixel. Maybe when the Pixel 2 comes out but the specs look to be around the same. So unlike me to buy a year old phone but look forward to not having to play wack a mole with my iPhone screen.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Good choice on the 6P :) I'm regretting my iP7+ pre-order and can't cancel anymore.. Gotta go thru the receive item, start return process, wait for refund cycle now with TMobile..

Oh well, I'm really happy with the recently bought 6P, and Nougat is pretty nice too. The thing I love about the 6P, is it's buttery smooth like the iPhone! What I don't like is the blah stock Android lol... So, I await my laggy (in comparison) Note 7 replacement. Miss the damn screen, S-Pen, camera, water resistance etc too much!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on a brand new 6P. I just can't justify paying double the price for the Pixel. Maybe when the Pixel 2 comes out but the specs look to be around the same. So unlike me to buy a year old phone but look forward to not having to play wack a mole with my iPhone screen.
Sweet! Enjoy your new phone! The OS is really smooth on the 6P.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I want to get away from iPhone it's getting boring and lots of other pet peeves. I see the Pixel XL is about to be announced but not really interested in paying over $700 again for a phone. It's not the money as much as these phones are way overpriced and lose value quick. My iPhone with taxes was almost $1000 and 6 months later I'd be lucky to get $500 for it. So I'm tired of buying overpriced phones and I fear the Pixel will also be overpriced.
I'm writing this from my primary smartphone, a wonderful Nexus 6P.

Purchased upon release, its served me well over many months. Fast, reliable, and highly useful, it's high quality aluminum with a stunningly gorgeous 5.7" display makes it easy to love.

Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 is sublime. Fast, smooth, lag free, it's an amazing mobile operating system. With the nicely improved Google Play Store offering a vast number of very refined apps, it's every bit as good as the iPhone app store I access from my iPhone 6S Plus.

Best of all is how well my Nexus Phones play with my cross platform environment. It syncs perfectly with my all time favorite 15" MacBook Pro, my ThinkPad workstation and Surface Pro 4. It just doesn't get any better than that.

I've owned every Nexus model to date and this one is a terrific example of how far Google has come. Perfect? No.
Excellent? Yes!

Thanks Google... :D

Reactions: vikingjunior

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
If you aren't desperate, I'd say wait, it might be a good phone. And the 6p should get cheaper

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I'm about to switch over full time to my 6P as well. I really do still enjoy using my 6s+/Apple Watch combo and how it works so well with my iPads and Macs but I need to set my son up with a phone and he would prefer an iPhone so he's getting mine. He also needs to have his old iPad replaced for school so he's getting my Air 2. I've further committed to the switch by picking up a second-hand Pixel C at a pretty good deal. :eek:

I just don't see value in spending another $850+ for what I personally don't see is a signficant upgrade over what I currently get in my 6s+. And if the rumored pricing of the new Pixel phones is true, it's exactly the same scenario regarding upgrading from my 6P---just not a lot of value vs. what the 6P already offers.

And for the first time, I find myself at odds with Apple's general philosophy with their products. I won't go into a long rant about what I think is wrong with Apple as of late, but just suffice to say I don't feel as connected with their products as I used to. My dilemma is that I generally like to stay in one ecosystem as much as possible, to have synergies amongst my tech and nobody has done it as well as Apple to this point. I'm optimistic about what Google seems to have on the horizon and have my fingers crossed that they don't dissappoint come October 4.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Well, I'm about to switch over full time to my 6P as well. I really do still enjoy using my 6s+/Apple Watch combo and how it works so well with my iPads and Macs but I need to set my son up with a phone and he would prefer an iPhone so he's getting mine. He also needs to have his old iPad replaced for school so he's getting my Air 2. I've further committed to the switch by picking up a second-hand Pixel C at a pretty good deal. :eek:

I just don't see value in spending another $850+ for what I personally don't see is a signficant upgrade over what I currently get in my 6s+. And if the rumored pricing of the new Pixel phones is true, it's exactly the same scenario regarding upgrading from my 6P---just not a lot of value vs. what the 6P already offers.

And for the first time, I find myself at odds with Apple's general philosophy with their products. I won't go into a long rant about what I think is wrong with Apple as of late, but just suffice to say I don't feel as connected with their products as I used to. My dilemma is that I generally like to stay in one ecosystem as much as possible, to have synergies amongst my tech and nobody has done it as well as Apple to this point. I'm optimistic about what Google seems to have on the horizon and have my fingers crossed that they don't dissappoint come October 4.

I completely agree with this scenario right now. I'll go a little bit more into detail, though. While I love my iPhone 6s Plus, as it has been a great phone for the last 9+ months that I've had it, the OS has grown incredibly stale. I don't mean any disrespect in saying this, but honestly, how is iOS 10 THAT much different from iOS 7? It isn't. Still no split screen on iPhones. Still just a grid of icons that I can't arrange as I see fit. Still no ability to set a default app unless it's an Apple app. And then they do EVERYTHING they can to make sure that there is no way to completely utilize their product(s) without fully entrenching yourself into everything Apple. Yes you can use an iPhone and a Windows PC, but you don't get the full experience. And they have now locked people into buying headphones from them with proprietary lightning ports that won't work with ANY other headphone port on earth (be it 3.5mm or USB-C). I dunno, I get tired of paying the "Apple Tax" for what I don't see is really that much better of an experience anymore. I feel like once Chromebooks all get access to the Play Store, it'll be over for me and a Nexus/Pixel phone with a solid Chromebook will be the way to go. I'm anxiously waiting on the Pixel phone announcement and dangerously close to canceling my iP7 Plus order.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I completely agree with this scenario right now. I'll go a little bit more into detail, though. While I love my iPhone 6s Plus, as it has been a great phone for the last 9+ months that I've had it, the OS has grown incredibly stale. I don't mean any disrespect in saying this, but honestly, how is iOS 10 THAT much different from iOS 7? It isn't. Still no split screen on iPhones. Still just a grid of icons that I can't arrange as I see fit. Still no ability to set a default app unless it's an Apple app. And then they do EVERYTHING they can to make sure that there is no way to completely utilize their product(s) without fully entrenching yourself into everything Apple. Yes you can use an iPhone and a Windows PC, but you don't get the full experience. And they have now locked people into buying headphones from them with proprietary lightning ports that won't work with ANY other headphone port on earth (be it 3.5mm or USB-C). I dunno, I get tired of paying the "Apple Tax" for what I don't see is really that much better of an experience anymore. I feel like once Chromebooks all get access to the Play Store, it'll be over for me and a Nexus/Pixel phone with a solid Chromebook will be the way to go. I'm anxiously waiting on the Pixel phone announcement and dangerously close to canceling my iP7 Plus order.

I can relate to much of this. I don't dislike how iOS works---in fact, overall I prefer it and many aspects vs. Android (i.e. much prefer Safari over Chrome, like iOS widget implementation better, prefer Control Center type controls from the bottom, integrated visual voicemail, gesture navigation, I actually use/like 3D Touch, and the watchOS is miles ahead of Android Wear in many regards, just to name a few). All that being said, I first, just don't see the value in the 7 model, both in comparison to the 6s/6s+ and compared to the rumored changes in 2017 and second, I think Apple needs a good switch kick in the backside from customer's who are tiring of their antics (i.e. removing Homekit support from the Apple TV gen 3, the headphone jack, parsing features to only certain devices like the dual camera, their ridiculously slow upgrade cycle of their Macs)--and I'm about as devoted an Apple customer as they come without being blindly loyal.

I question the overall path Apple is taking with their hardware and software and while I do very much still enjoy using what I have, I can't invest more money in new products when I'm not sure that investment will be worthwhile in the near future. So for now, I've voting with my wallet and testing the waters elsewhere.

P.S. And I'm right there with you regarding a solid Chromebook. The problem is I want a convertible in much the same fashion as the Surfact Pro/Samsung TabPro S/iPP 12.9--highly portable tablet first with an attachable keyboard to use as needed, and there just isn't anything like that yet.

P.P.S. Oh, and while I really like the Samsung TabPro S hardware and form factor, my time with it has shown me I won't be switching over to Windows for that convertible experience anytime soon--still doesn't compare to MacOS, IMO.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'd wait honestly, I had the 6P and while it was a terrific phone, the Snapdragon 810 often ruins an otherwise smooth experience. When the 810 starts to heat up (which it will), it will begin throttling back to cool off, causing the entire UI to lag and stutter like it's a cheap Chinese handset. I don't have that issue with my Snapdragon 820 equipped One plus 3.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It will presumably have a Snapdragon 820 instead of the 6P's Snapdragon 810, so I'd honestly wait. The 810 is known to run hot and suck battery life in most phones. And if you're worried about $$$ if you wait a little the 6P will probably drop in price after the new phones come out

phoneguy265

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
While early versions of the 810 were a mess, the 6p has a revision, and while certainly not as good as the 820, it definitely never stutters. Especially not like a "cheap chinese handset". It is the smoothest experience i have ever had with a phone, even with the 810. battery life i agree on, the 810 sucks it down. but still gets through a day fine.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
While early versions of the 810 were a mess, the 6p has a revision, and while certainly not as good as the 820, it definitely never stutters. Especially not like a "cheap chinese handset". It is the smoothest experience i have ever had with a phone, even with the 810. battery life i agree on, the 810 sucks it down. but still gets through a day fine.

I've owned several Nexus devices (4,7,10,9,6P) and this was the least smooth of them all. It would heat up randomly when doing mundane things and the frame rate/performance even just navigating around the UI would drop as the processor desperately throttled itself. Even later revisions of the 810 are terrible. It stuttered more than any Samsung devices I've owned.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I've owned several Nexus devices (4,7,10,9,6P) and this was the least smooth of them all. It would heat up randomly when doing mundane things and the frame rate/performance even just navigating around the UI would drop as the processor desperately throttled itself. Even later revisions of the 810 are terrible. It stuttered more than any Samsung devices I've owned.
It sure sounds like you had a defective phone.

I don't Advocate for any brand or platform, I simply report my long term first hand experiences.

My Nexus 6P which I use very heavily throughout each day, doesn't get hot, never lags or slows down, gets very good battery life and recharges very quickly.

I will admit maintaining four active cell phone lines on a 30GB plan is expensive, but I am a smartphone enthusiast that enjoys the latest Android flagships from Huawei, Samsung, Moto, LG, OnePlus, HTC, Xiaomi, Oppo and others. As such, the broad base of experience helps to accurately evaluate and compare the various models.

Its fun too :D

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Just wanted to say that I picked up a S7 edge while waiting for my Nexus P and I'm utterly impressed, it's way better than that laggy s6 I had. It's going to be a tuff decision.

Reactions: maxsix

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I can relate to much of this. I don't dislike how iOS works---in fact, overall I prefer it and many aspects vs. Android (i.e. much prefer Safari over Chrome, like iOS widget implementation better, prefer Control Center type controls from the bottom, integrated visual voicemail, gesture navigation, I actually use/like 3D Touch, and the watchOS is miles ahead of Android Wear in many regards, just to name a few). All that being said, I first, just don't see the value in the 7 model, both in comparison to the 6s/6s+ and compared to the rumored changes in 2017 and second, I think Apple needs a good switch kick in the backside from customer's who are tiring of their antics (i.e. removing Homekit support from the Apple TV gen 3, the headphone jack, parsing features to only certain devices like the dual camera, their ridiculously slow upgrade cycle of their Macs)--and I'm about as devoted an Apple customer as they come without being blindly loyal.

I question the overall path Apple is taking with their hardware and software and while I do very much still enjoy using what I have, I can't invest more money in new products when I'm not sure that investment will be worthwhile in the near future. So for now, I've voting with my wallet and testing the waters elsewhere.

P.S. And I'm right there with you regarding a solid Chromebook. The problem is I want a convertible in much the same fashion as the Surfact Pro/Samsung TabPro S/iPP 12.9--highly portable tablet first with an attachable keyboard to use as needed, and there just isn't anything like that yet.

P.P.S. Oh, and while I really like the Samsung TabPro S hardware and form factor, my time with it has shown me I won't be switching over to Windows for that convertible experience anytime soon--still doesn't compare to MacOS, IMO.

After having my iPhone 7 plus for a week I have to say I agree on a lot of points. Apple does have some stuff perfected, like imessage (which Googles anemic response to should make them deeply ashamed). But most everything else seems half baked. It's fascinating that Android now has a more finished OS by far than Apple. Android widgets have been out for how many years? But Apple puts out their horribly minimally functional widgets out there proudly. I'm puzzled why the plus doesn't have multi screen support (cue the screen is too small whiners, BS I say). Of course the file system is one of the main things that is just puzzling, something that makes iOS more complicated in its quest for simplicity. The atrocity that is iTunes should be relegated back to 2010 where it belongs, let us do all that stuff on our phone and/or the web like Google does.

I hope Google hits it out of the park, although I've already expressed my opinion that they are shooting themselves in the foot with the underspecced and overpriced pixel. But my hopes still lay with Samsungs (of LG) foldable phone, please hurry up and release this so the smartphone/tablet market can have a new revolution which we haven't had for a long while.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
After having my iPhone 7 plus for a week I have to say I agree on a lot of points. Apple does have some stuff perfected, like imessage (which Googles anemic response to should make them deeply ashamed). But most everything else seems half baked. It's fascinating that Android now has a more finished OS by far than Apple. Android widgets have been out for how many years? But Apple puts out their horribly minimally functional widgets out there proudly. I'm puzzled why the plus doesn't have multi screen support (cue the screen is too small whiners, BS I say). Of course the file system is one of the main things that is just puzzling, something that makes iOS more complicated in its quest for simplicity. The atrocity that is iTunes should be relegated back to 2010 where it belongs, let us do all that stuff on our phone and/or the web like Google does.

I hope Google hits it out of the park, although I've already expressed my opinion that they are shooting themselves in the foot with the underspecced and overpriced pixel. But my hopes still lay with Samsungs (of LG) foldable phone, please hurry up and release this so the smartphone/tablet market can have a new revolution which we haven't had for a long while.

Yes, iTunes is a dumpster fire of software but outside of using it to make an encrypted backup before I restore to a new devices, I haven't used it for years. My photos are synced through the cloud, as are just about everything else (via Google services, Dropbox, OneDrive). The only significant need for iTunes in the past was if I wanted to download offline copies of my movie/TV collection but I just use Plex now on any of my devices.

I'm also curious, where you feel the Pixel devices are under-spec'd? Same lvl of hardware as the Galaxies (CPU, RAM, QHD display, improved cameras now with OIS, 128GB of storage, top notch fingerprint scanner if it's like the Nexus 6P)--where is it falling short vs. other top level devices? Price is certainly another story but it looks to be comparatively spec'd to every other top lvl Android in the price range.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yes, iTunes is a dumpster fire of software but outside of using it to make an encrypted backup before I restore to a new devices, I haven't used it for years. My photos are synced through the cloud, as are just about everything else (via Google services, Dropbox, OneDrive). The only significant need for iTunes in the past was if I wanted to download offline copies of my movie/TV collection but I just use Plex now on any of my devices.

I'm also curious, where you feel the Pixel devices are under-spec'd? Same lvl of hardware as the Galaxies (CPU, RAM, QHD display, improved cameras now with OIS, 128GB of storage, top notch fingerprint scanner if it's like the Nexus 6P)--where is it falling short vs. other top level devices? Price is certainly another story but it looks to be comparatively spec'd to every other top lvl Android in the price range.

I despise iTunes, but was forced to use it at length the other day just to get some audiobooks onto my phone. On Android it would have simply streamed them from OneDrive, allowing me to choose the default app, or allowing me a file system to download it and find it later with an app. Terribly complex and onerous for something that is just supposed to work.

I feel the pixel is underpowered in many ways. The bezels still seem overly large, and that's definitely something I base my opinion on. I'll wait and see how the display looks, but the 6p has a nice display on paper but in reality was fairly crappy, not good in sunlight, and had issues with the light sensor. Same with the camera, good on paper but in reality just mediocre, although adding OIS is a step in the right direction. It's HTC making it so I have little faith in them, especially after the 10. No it's not terribly underspecced, but it's not excitingly overspecced either and I'm not sure what Google will use to sell it. Will it position it as a flagship such as Apple and market the heck out of it? Or will it just let it kind of float out there with no direction like most of the other hardware they release?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.